Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Improvements I would like to see

Here's what Audio Karma looks like in the Tapatalk app.

Name:  wp_ss_20150323_0001.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  194.6 KBName:  wp_ss_20150323_0002.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  163.4 KB
    The Music Man's equipment: Sony AM radio

Quote Originally Posted by antoninus9 View Post
    Here's what Audio Karma looks like in the Tapatalk app.

Name:  wp_ss_20150323_0001.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  194.6 KBName:  wp_ss_20150323_0002.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  163.4 KB
    Yep - but
    A) Friends of mine on Audiokarma complain about tapaTalk being unstable there...
    B) This is not Audiokarma
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    antoninus9,

I understand your point of view but if this website turns into some version of a smart phone app, I'd be pretty disappointed and would most likely opt out. I own a basic phone, and have no desire to constantly fiddle with a tiny screen and buttons when I'm out and about. I actually enjoy interacting with the people and environment around me. Imagine that. When I'm home, I access the net through a PC that I built mainly for MMORPG gaming in a tower/server-type case and overclocked the CPU, RAM, and mobo, then is displayed on a 24" screen. Yeah that's right, just a regular ol' enthusiast's Winbox - what a Luddite! Meanwhile, my sense of worth and spare time does not revolve around what anonymous people in cyberspace think of me that I'll never meet. I could not care less.

I can imagine what might happen if Harman got their corporate noses stuck into LH. Don't we have enough of Google, Apple, Microsoft, AOL, Facebook and the rest spying on and collecting and sharing our online data already, every time we click on or type anything, or make a call, or play an online game, or send or receive an e-mail? I think so. And I need another pop-up ad, flashing banner ad, or commercial forced upon me like I need a pair of Klipsches. (now where's that emoticon for the 1-finger salute...?)

Sometimes "progress" is just a catch-all term for another agenda or it can lead to places unintended. So I agree: if it ain't broke, leave it the hell alone.

Seawolf - let's keep the phrases like "snipes, snarks & snopes" to things I can say 3 times in a row quickly.

Perhaps PM Don McRitchie to see if there's needed effort to update the site
    or if the providers/maintainers are happy with it's current version/stability...
    at least in regard to where applicable expertise might be useful, were you
    wanting to contribute, ...which is appreciated.

Change has the ability to anger/frighten people as well as to provide useful
    improvements (and sometimes not so useful). For many here, it's a comfortable
    place.

Quote Originally Posted by LowPhreak View Post
    I understand your point of view but if this website turns into some version of a smart phone app, I'd be pretty disappointed and would most likely opt out. I own a basic phone, and have no desire to constantly fiddle with a tiny screen and buttons when I'm out and about. I actually enjoy interacting with the people and environment around me. Imagine that. When I'm home, I access the net through a PC that I built mainly for MMORPG gaming in a tower/server-type case and overclocked the CPU, RAM, and mobo, then is displayed on a 24" screen. Yeah that's right, just a regular ol' enthusiast's Winbox - what a Luddite! Meanwhile, my sense of worth and spare time does not revolve around what anonymous people in cyberspace think of me that I'll never meet. I could not care less.
    If we changed names on that quote , I could have written it. (Only the bold parts apply tho. )

(I have an overclocked quad core tower, 4.5TB spinning storage, w/a 24" screen also ..dislike always having to enlarge a portion of a screen to read it on a mobile device ..replying is even harder)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

antoninus9,

I understand your point of view but if this website turns into some version of a smart phone app, I'd be pretty disappointed and would most likely opt out.

I can imagine what might happen if Harman got their corporate noses stuck into LH. Don't we have enough of Google, Apple, Microsoft, AOL, Facebook and the rest spying on and collecting and sharing our online data already....
    1. This forum would not change at all, but there would be other ways to access it.

2. Google already picks up everything you post here. So, nothing changes on that front either.

I understand how everyone feels about my proposed changes, and will drop the subject. If I want a more versatile site I would have to build it on my server, and I'm probably not dedicated enough to do it. Managing and moderating a forum is not something I would enjoy.

Thank you for your input.

2. Google already picks up everything you post here. So, nothing changes on that front either.
    I'm aware of what Google's and other companies' capabilities are, as I mentioned above.

I'm aware of what Google's and other companies' capabilities are, as I mentioned above.
    usually if you see who is using the forum at most any time, Google Slurp Spider is listed.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

As far as I'm concerned, Google and its ilk can kiss my posterior region. But antoninus9's idea IMO isn't a bad one necessarily, I'd just hate to see LH go the way of so many other sites that have "updated".

As far as I'm concerned, Google and its ilk can kiss my posterior region. But antoninus9's idea IMO isn't a bad one necessarily, I'd just hate to see LH go the way of so many other sites that have "updated".
    If I'm understanding his post, he is saying the site would remain vanilla for those of us Luddites who prefer it that way and could be all jazz and visual noise to excite those with the App who choose to go that route.

I certainly have no problem with that, though I doubt anyone will go to the trouble or expense to make it happen.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    If I'm understanding his post, he is saying the site would remain vanilla for those of us Luddites who prefer it that way and could be all jazz and visual noise to excite those with the App who choose to go that route.
    Well, that and the update to the main site with RSS feeds of current HAR/JBL news and critical reviews of new JBL products in order to increase our effectiveness in appealing to and controlling the HAR BOD and make LH a force to be reckoned with in making our goals shared by the HAR management team so we can have vintage parts availability off into the next millennium and gain HAR support and participation in this group.
    Or something like that . . .
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

I certainly have no problem with that, though I doubt anyone will go to the trouble or expense to make it happen.

Widget
    There are a couple ways to approach contemporary web design.

One is to build a separate mobile template for the folks with smaller screens, and use CSS and javascript to change/downsize images for that crowd.
    Effectively building multiple versions of the same site and hope they all are kept in sync.Thats pretty much the old-school take on new design.

The other approach is Responsive web design - you create a site with Mobile as the main focus and (again with CSS and javascripts)
    your site scales up or down as needed depending on the users' screens. One design that responds to the end user's screen attributes.

Either way, retooling is needed to achieve that end - it doesn't just happen.

The other stuff - adding in RSS feeds and such, is another task to add to a site-wide redesign.

Since this is effectively a hobby site with minimal recoding in the works, minimal staff, etc
    (no offense implied or stated), I don't see any such undertaking in the future.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Most modern web design is much easier, thanks to dynamic templates. Your design is dynamically translated for desktop or mobile devices depending on the client browser. RSS feeds are merely plugins with no coding required. I could easily build a new home page with all these features in about 5 hours.

The forum would remain as it is for desktop clients, while mobile clients would be greeted with an alternate page advising them to use Tapatalk, and a click through link to continue on to the desktop version of the forum.

My idea will only work if the forum members are willing to contribute write-ups about restoration projects, tweaks, and reviews of new equipment. There's a lot of information in the forum that could be reformatted for use as content on the main page as well. We could also do interviews with some of the engineers at JBL. This could be done as both a written page, and a podcast.

Mashable.com uses a dynamic template. http://mashable.com Try it on your desktop, then on your phone. Notice how it atomically re-formats and resizes everything.

Most modern web design is much easier, thanks to dynamic templates. Your design is dynamically translated for desktop or mobile devices depending on the client browser. RSS feeds are merely plugins with no coding required. I could easily build a new home page with all these features in about 5 hours.

The forum would remain as it is for desktop clients, while mobile clients would be greeted with an alternate page advising them to use Tapatalk, and a click through link to continue on to the desktop version of the forum.

My idea will only work if the forum members are willing to contribute write-ups about restoration projects, tweeks, and reviews of new equipment. There's a lot of information in the forum that could be reformatted for use as content on the main page as well. We could also do interviews with some of the engineers at JBL. This could be done as both a written page, and a podcast.

Mashable.com uses a dynamic template. http://mashable.com Try it on your desktop, then on your phone. Notice how it atomically re-formats and resizes everything.
    But what does that do for the existing Vbulletin software and database the site owners have running?
    I don't think they want to switch the whole existing site to some unknown design -
    its a webforum, not a blog or news site.

... fwiw, the Mashable site uses exactly the responsive design I spoke of
    ... although its hardly doing it "atomically" ... try "automatically"

http://alistapart.com/search?keywords=Responsive

This forum most likely uses MySQL as a back end to power VBulletin. So, going to a dynamic or responsive design would have no impact at all. From a technology perspective all of this is really simple. We're not running calculations through a high speed interface for a brokerage firm, or astrophysics lab.

Also, this technology is far from being "unknown". It's used by millions of sites across the net.

Could it be that all of this FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) is actually the fears of the existing membership regarding new users joining the forum? You don't want to see it grow beyond what it is now? If that's the case, then no technology can alter the course of things.

Thread Information