Thread: Need some help in OKC

Need some help in OKC

Bethany actually. I sold a beautifully restored pair of L100's on eBay. The buyer is brand new with zero feedback and I'm pretty sure they are attempting a bogus "item not as described claim" to get a post sale discount. He is claiming one speaker "doesn't work." For that to happen, all three driver connections would have had to fail (virtually impossible) or one of the internal input terminal connections would have to fail. I used TOTL gold plated binding posts and the connection is via a soldered-to gold plated washer secured with a locking washer and a nut, and then an extra locking nut. Even if this setup loosened up during shipping (again, not very likely) the connection should still be there, albeit maybe intermittent.

If I could tell the buyer that a local JBL expert could come and check out the speakers, I'm almost sure he would back off of his claim that the speaker is not working, so the odds of actually having to actually visit the guy are slim. Otherwise, is there a competent servicer in town I could refer the buyer to? He's in the 5900 block of NW 30 in Bethany.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Maybe Todd White or GPA has a contact in the area available for contract work?

My $0.02:
    Suck it up and tell him to ship them back. Once received in original condition you refund. Even if you have to pay the return shipping, its less headache than dealing with a moron. You can't win a dispute with a buyer on eBay, their policies are against you. On eBay the buyer is always right.

It sucks to have to deal with crooks. My suggestion is to suggest the buyer a few steps to check the speakers. Even swapping right to left. Basically just excuses. Then ask the buyer if he's okay to either have one of your local JBL expert friends take a look after he did the routine checks himself, or bring the faulty speaker to a shop of your choice at your expense.
    Chances are he will contact you saying he found the problem... in his amplifier.

One other scam could be that he would swap the drivers...

I think this is resolved. I told the buyer to take it around the corner to Great Plains Audio and have Bill inspect it. I told him if there was a problem Bill would spot it and repair it in minutes, and that I would pay GPA directly. I never heard another word from the guy and no case had been filed after two weeks. Just a pathetic post sale discount scam attempt. I'm convinced these post sale shenanigans are considered nothing more than shrewd bargaining by the buyers, when in fact it is felony fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    I'm convinced these post sale shenanigans are considered nothing more than shrewd bargaining by the buyers, .
    The eBay policies really encourage this type behavior. Sellers are at their mercy. It used to be: "Buyer beware", now its "seller beware".

Maybe after the seller gave you a rating, you could rate him too.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Maybe after the seller gave you a rating, you could rate him too.

Lee
    Maybe it's changed again , but when I left eBay ..seller could NOT give negative FB.

About 10 years ago, eBay sent the sellers an email that their business model was changing
    from "seller centric" to "buyer centric"
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    I think this is resolved. I told the buyer to take it around the corner to Great Plains Audio and have Bill inspect it. I told him if there was a problem Bill would spot it and repair it in minutes, and that I would pay GPA directly. I never heard another word from the guy and no case had been filed after two weeks. Just a pathetic post sale discount scam attempt. I'm convinced these post sale shenanigans are considered nothing more than shrewd bargaining by the buyers, when in fact it is felony fraud.
    Glad that worked out for you. I've has similar experiences selling cars at auction. Arbitration just seems to be a form of post-sale bargaining.

I hate it when the crooks get away with it.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information