Thread: power to the people....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    CLASS A

power to the people....

Dear all,

I m using the Plinius SA250 IV ( 250WPC class A) per channel to drive the JBL 250Ti jubilees. My question is, what sort of improvements if any if I buy another SA250 and go mono. The SA250 will produce 1KW per channel in banlance mono mode and the Jubilees can handle 400W. Is this over kill or am I wasting money?, I m sure you guys out there must have tried the mono configuration with the JBL 250ti.
    Thanks in advance.

Hello Class A

Do they sound like they are compressing on peaks at a bit above your average volume setting??? Only you can tell that depending on SPL, room size, and of course what you listen too. Try an evaluation with a demanding passage in mono one channel only in stereo mode, then strap the amp and replay.

Rob

CLASS A
    Rob
    Thanks for that, they don't sound at all over strained even at high levels. At mo, the volume switch starts at 7 o'clock and the loudest I ever used is at 12 o'clock and that is killing my ears ( complaints from next door ) .
    I suppose I m not looking for more volume but more dynamics, drive and sheer kicks from the JBLs. Would image and soundstage improve upon more disposable power on tap?.
    Cheers

I would spend the money elsewhere...anyone biamp a pair of JBL 250Ti Jubilees?

Widget

In my own experience with Class A the only further improvement may be bi amping if you can.

Its unlikely a the class A amp of that size would ever sound compressed as its a hi current amp by design.

Ian

CLASS A
    Thanks mate....what are the pros and cons between mono config and bi amping?, and with bi-amping, would I need to have both amplifier the same output or can I use a smaller amp for the mids and highs?.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    In my own experience with Class A the only further improvement may be bi amping if you can.

Its unlikely a the class A amp of that size would ever sound compressed as its a hi current amp by design.

Ian

Thread Information