Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a "2203" from misc parts

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by lfh
    Reflecting that I'll bi-amp the system and it'll "never" see the other side of 90 dB or so (picky neighbours and thin walls...), the design considerations are a bit unusual, though. Furthermore, a sub (or 4-way for that matter) is not desired due to space limitations, so the 2204 is not an option.
    That makes it real easy then - get a pair of LE14H's - 3.0 cubic feet tuned to ~ 30-32 Hz or 4.0 cubic feet tuned to ~ 28-30 Hz.

Smile 2203, 2308/2311, 2405 nirvana???

I am, too, a long time JBL nut....been awhile since looking on here...but what is the fuss about the 2203 thing? I had some 4315's...and IMHO the 2203's are the floppiest, ill defined woofer JBL has made....at least in that box (3.2 ft, 28 hertz Fb...) of course, they sound punchy and tight in 1 cubic foot, tuned to about 45 hertz or so....but then, other than car stereo, what is the point (Qts is .14)? Why not just get some easily found 2235's and be done with it? (I use 2245's...awesome below 80 hertz..)....yeah, these old components are cute, nice to look at...but, again, IMHO, the 2214's make much more sense, not to mention much more usable bass below 50 hertz or so....just had to reply....no offense intended to anyone...but I feel the same way about the horn/lens aka 2308/2311 thing, and the 2405 slot tweeter thing......compared to the birads (2344/2342)...they are an earache....and hardly transparent and musical, compared to say a dynaudio dome...at least for home use....what good is loud, if it sounds like sandpaper??? I run live sound and play classic rock professionally...and I am the biggest JBL fan there is...but some of this stuff is hogwash.....I built systems in the 80's around these components, and was dissappinted, until the birads came out....and I fitted them with TAD 2001's.....now that is some clear high end....boy, this should illicit some comments....huh? Just want to see if anyone still has ears, and I am not alone on this one....In the day, all of the above were a great thing..and dome tweeters don't cut it live, obviously....but I want color from my Marshall tube amp and dirty celestion 12's....not my PA/monitors/home system....I love the looks of this old stuff, but I also love to hear uncolored, smooth musical tones.....well?????? It just seems so much money and energy spent for an undesirable result.....and it is my impression that all of this fuss is for home music reproduction.....not just live sound. My hats off....and the utmost respect for the engineers in the day....but it is 2005...not 1965, or 1975...things have come a long long way .....Thanks for reading, Pete

Obsolete

Quote Originally Posted by soundboy
    It just seems so much money and energy spent for an undesirable result.....
    A most EXCELLENT rant, Pete.

Please do not shoot me but!!!

I Wanna hear more But watch out,a while ago on the altec forum some guy stepped up to the plate and let one rip about the model 19,s WOW did the knives come out or what.

paragon

??????

Hmmm ?????

Thread Information