Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A General Question about Speakers like the JBL 4430

Quote Originally Posted by honkytonkwillie View Post
    He's talking about background system noise being inaudible when the volume is turned up halfway, but music isn't playing. Like between tracks or when changing a CD.
    Yes, this is exactly what I meant, sorry I didn't explain myself better originally.

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Nice amps. Really nice amps. Your initial response to Bryston seems to happen often. I have an older Bryston I use for some things, replacing a second generation McIntosh solid state, an MC2200, a very nice sounding amp in the midrange and treble, and the Bryston (5st) is absolutely non-fatiguing, and I also found it a better match for modern heavy-coned woofers.

Looking at your photo I wonder if you have tried interchanging your left and right speakers to get the horn a little farther away from the wall on the left (can't see the right). Just a thought. You would still get an early reflection, and it might actually sound worse. That might be a spot where some reflection dampening would add to your enjoyment of your system.
    As for swapping the speakers, not a bad idea to try! The change and possible tweak of course is free, just means a bit of back torture which will take a couple of Aleves, and couple days to get over is all!

The Bryston Amps I would say now have very close to about 100 hours play time. They are at this point not as fat in the bass frequencies as I had hoped they'd be. At least not at low to moderate listening levels.

This could be that the Brystons are perhaps more linear, uncolored and flat in the frequency response top to bottom, not being warm, syrupy, and I wouldn't call them a "tubey" sounding set of Amps for sure. Probably better than a sound which gives untrue flabby-fat frequency response.

At least with the McIntosh MX-130 AV Pre/Tuner in the mix, I do have a Bass-Treble Control as well as a Variable Loudness Compensation Dial. Thus I can dial in a little more Bass at lower listening levels if need be without it seeming to detriment overall sound.

Otherwise, these Amps seem to like, and effortlessly take to some serious power output without breaking the slightest amount of sweat like a Duck takes to water. When power is placed to the 4430's, all seems very right, fast, tight, clean, highly detailed, and better balanced top to bottom.

The problem and characteristics I'm guessing is not the Amps, or Speakers, I just need a bigger house is all! LOL

I've just earlier turned down the Mid L-Pad to -4, and the High L-Pad left at 0db. Will try these settings for a bit.

4430s Little Brother

Hi Mark. I'm next door to you in Las Cruces. I have a new to me pair of 4425s. I have ordered new Radian replacement diaphragms for the 2415 compression drivers. There seems to be a little distortion at higher listening levels. This pair has the old 2415 vise the 2416h that was later used. I replaced my old Threshold amp with a new Crown I-Tech 5000hd. Using the AES input is a game changer sonically.

Today I had myself a busy morning, but got a lot accomplished.

First, I did yank both speaker Cabs, and swapped them, so that the Horn's Throats are a bit closer together, and the L-Pad Panel now resides on the outside of each Speaker. This should offer some improvement of imaging.

While they were out in the middle of the Living Room Floor, I laid down both Speakers on their backs, and rotated the 2235H Drivers 180 degrees.

I checked the wiring to the drivers, correct polarity, etc, and all looked just fine per JBL Specifications. All else inside looked just fine.

I was able to get a small 7/16" Open End Wrench onto each of the Compression Driver's 3 Hex Head Connecting Bolts to Horn without the need of wrestling out the Horns from the Cabs. Wasn't too hard, and none were really loose, but was able to ever so slightly snug all about a 1/6th of a turn till nicely snug. Thus insuring-confirming nothing was loose.

Once Cabs were back in place, and positioned, I then set myself up to proceed to change the grey Speaker Grill Cloth to the proper Factory JBL Blue Grill Cloth that Zilch (RIP) sold me some years back. Finally said "let's do it", and have these babies looking the way they were intended-supposed to look, factory bone stock.

I had intensely studied one of the Grill Cloth installation procedures here more times than I can count, and to tell the truth, I wasn't enamored over the idea of using Contact Cement, and then Iron per this particular method.

I instead ordered a few small Tubes of Glue from Simply Speakers, got the Glue a couple days ago in the mail, so I was all set to go.

After removing the old Grill Cloth, and then insuring the pair of Frames were clean, and ready to go, I then pre-cut the material on a clean flat Bed Sheet on the Living Room Floor, insuring a good few inches of overlap on all sides.
    (I was smart enough back then to buy 2 full Yards from Zilch, thus have enough for another re-cloth job down the road if ever needed)

Simply squeezed a thin bead of the Glue around the back of the Grill Frames, and spread with a small Acid Brush, pretty much exactly following Simply Speaker's Instructional Video.

The Glue after setting up, and becoming tacky to the touch, I was then ready. All went without a hitch, this method and this particular Glue they sell worked perfectly. The new Grill Cloth, being stretched just slightly so no flapping, the Glue was perfectly adequate for the task, and worked just fine. Did final trimming with a razor sharp Utility Knife, and a metal Straight Edge Ruler.

One small Tube of Glue almost made it for both Grills, I had to open another Tube to coat just one last remaining side.

Once the old Grill Cloth was off, I could then better see it looking "aged", and past its prime. As I earlier said, they now look fresh, correct.

Will play the system later, to see what sonic changes have come about, and will take a Picture for you folks at that time to show! Sorry I did not take any pics of the inside of the Cabs, but as I said, the Compression Driver Bolts were accessible with a little patience. Glad that's all done! Yahoo!

Name:  DSCN0531.JPG
Views: 793
Size:  227.3 KBName:  DSCN0532.JPG
Views: 780
Size:  228.9 KBName:  DSCN0533.JPG
Views: 810
Size:  226.3 KB

Here's a few new pics I said I would post.
    Mark

OK, mid afternoon, powered up the system, and listened to a little light FM while I prepped, and ate dinner.

After all that was done, dishes done, wanted to sit down for a little serious listening, been due for a little session for a couple days

I played a total of 3 CDs, Led Zep I, MFSL 24K Pink Floyd DSOTM, and a 2 CD Set, Neil Young's Greatest Hits.

Sitting there as the afternoon waned, and looking at the new Grill Cloths on the 4430's as they played, they looked just goddamn super serious and downright killer mean, playing no fool, and taking no prisoners. Under lower lighting, they then look darker than my pics show, almost looking black.

"You Shook Me", and "Dazed and Confused" took my head off. Always have to close with "How Many More Times", John Paul Jones' Bass was tight and taught, razor sharp.

With Pink Floyd, what can I say, again, Breathe, and Us and Them sounded like right in the room, precise, tight, coherent.

Neil rocked the house, played both CDs, his guitar was sharp, cutting, highly defined, as was his voice.

When I went to shut the system down, I commonly always check the Amps, as to how hot, and what beating they have taken after a play. The Bryston 7bSST2 Amps were barely warm!

These Amps took a while to come around, a good 50-70 hours before things started to smooth, they sounded like total crap when I first played them, absolutely no under-estimation about this, but they seemed to have settled in. I estimate about a total of 115 hours on them at this point.

Although not a syrupy-warm set of Amps, like my old MC2105's, they now are sounding more precise, accurate, clean, articulate, not raspy, or sounding distorted like they first did, clean accurate bass response, not muddy, nor washed out. Seem to have precise control over the 2235H Drivers. Nothing added, yet nothing missing.

No matter the volume level, tight, clean, no distortion, gobs of headroom, shake the pictures off the walls if you want to go that far with the volume control, the shortcomings are probably the listening room, and my ears.

I finally got around to this thread. Very nice looking system!
    Thanks for sharing.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I finally got around to this thread. Very nice looking system!
    Thanks for sharing.

Widget
    Thank you Mr. Widget for the compliments. While the MX-130 AV Pre-Tuner may not be the best "logical" choice for a pre-amp to pair with these Amps, I like its versatility of at least having Bass-Treble Controls, and a variable Loudness Compensation Dial.

Although a Bryston Pre would probably be the proper match in many ways, and the Amps seem quite linear, the human ear's deficit to hear bass well at low volumes makes having a Loudness Dial a nice addition as well as the 2 Tone Controls.

Would really like trying a newer Mac Pre one day, like a C48 or C50 with their numerous front panel mounted EQ Controls to see how much better the sound could be shaped-adjusted? Only downside with those newer Pre's, no Loudness Compensation.

Horn Removal

Mark,

I had issues removing the 4425 horns. I know they do not have the flange surface area of your horns, but using a one inch putty knife with a piece of clear packing tape wrapped over the end I was able to work it in around the horn flange. I also used soapy water and an acid brush applied around the contact area to help keep it from re-sticking. The foam gasket did fold up a little under the flange, but it can be straightened back out. The packing tape is tuff stuff. It was good for the entire removal. No scratches to the horn or mounting board.

Regards,

John

system looks very nice to me.

re: grille cloth. Your replacement looks better too.

A friend bought a pair of L-250's that had that same color to replace the
    OEM camel/brown colored ones. If I had a spare pair of frames, I'd do that too.

You know .... summer grilles & winter ones.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information