Thread: Best Phono Pre for My Altec A7 Mcintosh 240 setup?

Best Phono Pre for My Altec A7 Mcintosh 240 setup?

HI all, Heres my current setup
    Linn axis turntable w/ basek arm & ortofon vms 20e MKII (nuthin special but decent enough)
    Linn Kollector Phono pre
    Mcintosh MC240
    Pair Altec A7 (16ohm)

I want to get a (preferably valve) phono pre for the system as i think the Kollector is the weak link.

As a Mcintosh/Altec system is a fairly classic combo Im assuming many folks on this forum would have good advice as to what to look out for.

Im also interested to know if some sort of EQ is recommended for the setup?
    Is there a valve phono pre with EQ for example.. or just a decent model EQ to use with this type of setup.

Im particularly into a setup to suit the kind of music i listen to, jazz, soul, reggae, blues etc.

thanks for advice..

Every phono pre has an EQ, it's in the nature of the vinyl record and colled "RIAA correction". I wouldn't recommend a faulty RIAA as a measure to modify the tonal balance of your system.
    Speaking of valve RIAA preamps: What price range? New or second hand?

Quote Originally Posted by oldbrowndog View Post
    HI all, Heres my current setup
    Linn axis turntable w/ basek arm & ortofon vms 20e MKII (nuthin special but decent enough)
    Linn Kollector Phono pre
    Mcintosh MC240
    Pair Altec A7 (16ohm)

I want to get a (preferably valve) phono pre for the system as i think the Kollector is the weak link.

As a Mcintosh/Altec system is a fairly classic combo Im assuming many folks on this forum would have good advice as to what to look out for.

Im also interested to know if some sort of EQ is recommended for the setup?
    Is there a valve phono pre with EQ for example.. or just a decent model EQ to use with this type of setup.

Im particularly into a setup to suit the kind of music i listen to, jazz, soul, reggae, blues etc.

thanks for advice..
    Quicksilver Audio makes hi fi tube gear, including phono amps, specifically for high efficiency systems similar to yours. First rate engineering. In California, however. Long way to ship.

http://www.quicksilveraudio.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by oldbrowndog View Post
    It's all about personal preference. For my taste in reproduction, the weakest link in the system described would be the A7 followed by the MC 240.

I am not saying this to be a provocateur— my reasoning to follow. (Read as my opinions )

The MC 240 has a rolled off top end and doesn't have much bass control. That said, a lot of people find the fat uncontrolled bottom end an enjoyable aspect of the amp. And to be sure, it will add apparent bass to very lean speakers like the A7. The rolled off aspect may also contribute to the apparent "warm sound".

The A7 has an extremely lively sound. Due to the design and extremely high sensitivity it can really get you into the "live music in my house territory". Unfortunately it is also extremely inaccurate. We are not talking plus or minus a few dB here, these speakers are simply from another era. That said, with careful equalization and the addition of a high quality sub and super tweeter, the A7 can be enjoyable by those of us who require a more accurate and extended speaker system.

Widget

Thanks looking to spend somewhere between $400-$800, new or secondhand is ok with me.

Regarding EQ I understand the RIAA correction, however I still think a signal path that relies only on the Phone pre's RIAA correction & the quality of the MC240 is not enough to really control all the facets of the sound acroos a variety of recordss & genres.. SOme sort of parametric might do the trick.. just wondering if anyone has any hints on something decent to use..

& in terms of the MC240 & Altecs being the weak link, yes Im definitely not labouring under the illusion these are the best setup for clarity.. (although I am adding a JBL076 supertweeter to the A7 setup for more hi definition) but still for my taste, they are the sweetest thing i can imagine.

& as you mentioned "with careful equalization", hence my questions about adding a (probably passive) eq to the setup..
    Altec make some great passive eqs, I have a pair in my studio (Altec Mastering Passive Inductor Graphic)..

Actually, I kind of like your setup with the Altecs and McIntosh. Try to find an old RCA tube phono stage with RIAA EQ. It will give you the best opportunity to hear what the system should have sounded like in its day, which was very good. I'm always pleasantly surprised by how good some of the vintage equipment can be when paired with other equipment from the same era.
    The Music Man's equipment: Sony AM radio

Thread Information