Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 4365's in the US? Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Hi All;

Hi Ivica; I don't want to use the wrong term and perpetuate the Aisan voice myth so I will carefully try to explain that these have the large format driver sound that I like. I call it presence. My 4350's have it also. The 4430's and 4435's don't have it and although the 1400 Arrays have the much better driver (435Al) than the 4430-4435's, they don't have it either. It's not bark or bite but it's bigger and brighter. Not everyone likes that, I really do.

Barry.
    Hi Barry,

Thank You for your the first impression of the sound character of your new nice speakers, especially that You compare them with the old-school models, that for some of us are known, so we can better understand your impressions.
    Interestingly that 2311 & 2308 ( or 2312 & 2308 ) has almost the same horizontal polar response as H4365 ( when CD-horn compensated ) with previously mentioned 'over-shoot' from say 3kHz to 9kHz in off-axis response, that is may be why a kind of "...call it presence...." can be recognized.

Unfortunately I can not find any more detailed measurements data about the polar response of the 4365 horn-driver combo.

regards
    Ivica
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RE: The difference between 4365 and 1400 Array

What I'm getting from this thread is that 1400's image better and are flatter. If I wanted "presence" (I don't) I can add it with EQ. You can't add better imaging.

This is where these threads seem to sink into the deep, when it becomes either or, the symantic battle is on. What I am trying to express cannot be shaped into the 1400 Array with EQ. This I know.

Except for six or seven words the audio language is made from borrowed words that for the most part are imprecise descriptors at best.

The Arrays have the edge when it comes to imaging, as nearly everyone agrees this is where they are exceptional. If that is your main focal point of audio enjoyment, the Arrays are probably the speaker for you. I really like them too. The Arrray's are to me in the flavor of the 250Ti, very nice, but when I am really listening, they leave me wanting something more. The 4365's and the DD Everest's have whatever "it" is that I desire.

All the best,
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    What I'm getting from this thread is that 1400's image better and are flatter. If I wanted "presence" (I don't) I can add it with EQ. You can't add better imaging.
    I'd say yes, the 1400 Arrays image better, but I don't think they are "flatter". I also think that ivica is diving into the theoretical that doesn't necessarily relate to the actual.

I didn't hear the 4365s as being elevated in the upper midrange... more detailed yes, but I would attribute this to the superior performance of the 4" Mg in the 476Mg as opposed to a frequency aberration.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    .....I also think that ivica is diving into the theoretical that doesn't necessarily relate to the actual.
    I didn't hear the 4365s as being elevated in the upper midrange... more detailed yes, but I would attribute this to the superior performance of the 4" Mg in the 476Mg as opposed to a frequency aberration.
    Widget
    Hi Mr. Widget,

I am so sorry if boring You, but I only wonder does such Hi-midrange off-axis FR hump being done intentionally by JBL Gurus, or that only happened inadvertently.

Regards
    ivica

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi Mr. Widget,

I am so sorry if boring You, but I only wonder does such Hi-midrange off-axis FR hump being done intentionally by JBL Gurus, or that only happened inadvertently.

Regards
    ivica
    I don't mean to sound dismissive... my point was that in my real world experience, the results didn't end up the way you are predicting. The speaker is remarkably neutral sounding as well as being nicely revealing.

As for the design intent? I have no idea.

Regarding comparisons with the 1400 Array. The 4365 is $3K a pair more expensive and is a bit better in several ways... but speakers being the subjective beasts that they are, you can't really say that everyone will like model A more than model B or vice versa.

Widget

Can not blame the 4365 to be beautiful, but the 1400 Arrays looks like, hmmm..., well I can not help what images you get in your mind right now!

4365 can be regarded as old-school eighties retro design, if you stretch it

I have put white vinyl and white speakercloth on mine, so they dissapear a bit against the white walls.

I can sign on the "presence" sound. It feels live (dynamic sound tha are felt physically, locking the room, can touch the sound, etc, bla bla bla)

They are ridicolously heavy. I had troubles getting them delivered, the transport guys almost quit their jobs!

Thumbs up

This is where these threads seem to sink into the deep, when it becomes either or, the symantic battle is on. What I am trying to express cannot be shaped into the 1400 Array with EQ. This I know.

Except for six or seven words the audio language is made from borrowed words that for the most part are imprecise descriptors at best.

The Arrays have the edge when it comes to imaging, as nearly everyone agrees this is where they are exceptional. If that is your main focal point of audio enjoyment, the Arrays are probably the speaker for you. I really like them too. The Arrray's are to me in the flavor of the 250Ti, very nice, but when I am really listening, they leave me wanting something more. The 4365's and the DD Everest's have whatever "it" is that I desire.

All the best,
    Barry.
    Well, whatever makes you happy is key. Aren't the Arrays and 4365s 2 different animals anyway? I believe you when you say this is a good speaker, there's no reason to pooh-pooh them, especially if you haven't heard the damn things. If you like the Arrays, then be happy with those and quit dogging the other models (like my S4700s .) It doesn't do anyone a favor.
    S4700 owner.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    Can not blame the 4365 to be beautiful, but the 1400 Arrays looks like, hmmm..., well I can not help what images you get in your mind right now!...
    I'll say it, two gigantic ugly ducks. But I love them anyway, and I'm not even their mother!

Thumbs up

Regardless of which model you have, sit back, fire up a joint, and get lost in the music. To me, that's where it's at.
    S4700 owner.

HI All!

I have wanted a pair of these since they were announced in what 2010? I complained long and loud about not being able to buy them here. I don't think anyone really cared what I had to say about it but when they were announced for sale here, well it was time to put some money where my mouth was/is.

Thank you Mr Widget!

Since there will not be a "Fourth Lansing Heritage Event" due to Titanium Dome selling his home and moving North, seems that you would be the logical host and this would be the logical location for the next event.

I'll fix dinner.

george

Hi George!

It's funny you should say that! I have actually been thinking about that very thing but I don't have a cool big house that lends itself to entertaining, just a little old ranch flat. I am still thinking about it though.

I know everyone hates to come to Vegas anyway right?

All the best,
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Speaking of which, how would you rank the GT Array 1200 you probably heard at TiDome's place compared to the Array 1400 and 4365?
    A large format compression driver on a vertical horn...

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Speaking of which, how would you rank the GT Array 1200 you probably heard at TiDome's place compared to the Array 1400 and 4365? A large format compression driver on a vertical horn...
    Hi POS,

I believe that rotating 4365 about 90-deg. the 'vertical horn' behavior can be get. may be even compensating time delay between the drivers if the horns are oriented "inner place". I believe that the H4365 diffraction slot would involve better off-axis dispersion while the horn is 'in vertical position'.

So as any 43xx called "book-shelf speaker" 4365 become too, :-))

regards
    ivica
    Attached Images Attached Images  

lol
    The woofer/horn vertical misalignment would probably ruin the imaging quality tho.

Thread Information