Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 4365's in the US? Yup.

Barry, do you plan to turn it active, or maybe use the biamp mode with additional EQ to get accurate acoustical crossover slopes like GT did with the S4700 and S3900?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    HI All!

I have wanted a pair of these since they were announced in what 2010? I complained long and loud about not being able to buy them here. I don't think anyone really cared what I had to say about it but when they were announced for sale here, well it was time to put some money where my mouth was/is.

Thank you Mr Widget!
    Congratulations on finally getting a pair!

Hi Thomas;

Yes. That the Arrays really do well, very well. The image with the 4365 isn't fragile though.

One of these days I am going to have to get these all these JBL's in one place just for camparative fun.

I have a pair of D2's and granted I don't have the M2 waveguides or the processing but on the 4338 horns, I am not knocked out. They don't sound like a large format driver. Maybe that's the plan. I am going to have to go really listen to a pair. I am not quite ready to take the plunge on them yet.

Hi Ron;

I had a oair of 1501Fe's for about a month. I didn't have an ideal set of boxes to run them in but soon decided that the old JBL drivers had indeed lived their heyday.

Man I love efficiency. Habbit dictates the volume knob position and I keep getting suprized by how much louder these play. Lovin' it!

Go hear these when you get the chance.

Barry.
    I didn't know that you had a pair of D2's... Would you feel like running impedance curves on the pair you have?

4313B

07-21-2014, 04:54 PM

Can you please post an impedance curve of one with the resistor pad from the M2? (13 ohm series, 11 ohm parallel)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pos

07-22-2014, 02:47 AM

Sorry, I did not run any impedance measurement on them, and I returned the pair to the seller (after having tried to replace just one, but the replacement I received also had "issues").
    My conclusion is that those drivers are too fragile to be bought used, the faston terminals especially: gently pushing a terminal during measurement could change distortion figures by up to 20dB...
    (lower traces are 3rd distortion)

Obsolete
    I am going to have to go really listen to a pair. I am not quite ready to take the plunge on them yet.
    I have to recommend not wasting your time unless you can walk out with a pair (and their amps) in hand.

I know that a few guys are resistant to the whole M2 "thing" but, quite frankly, it's their loss.

Yeah... I drank the cool aide... the whole keg... and then asked for seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Barry, do you plan to turn it active, or maybe use the biamp mode with additional EQ to get accurate acoustical crossover slopes like GT did with the S4700 and S3900?
    G.T. declined to do a similar work up for the 4365. I wouldn't do it that way anyway, and I didn't. I'd follow the M2 topology, and I did.

All those components, the 1501Fe/Al, 476Mg/Be, 2216Nd are stellar and getting them out from behind passive filters is even better, but not trivial. A person has to weigh whether or not they really want to screw with it.

Once again, I really like what you've done with your document.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Yep, I too was quite impressed with these 4365s. I agree completely with Barry's assesment. I would add that the E2 with it's more evolved woofers, Be diaphragms, and CC'd networks are even more revealing much in the way the 4365s with their large format Mg drivers and 1501Fe woofers are more revealing than the 1400 Arrays... still love those ugly ducklings though.

It is very difficult to accurately describe the emotion and sonic joy that all of these fine speakers allow out of our recordings.

Widget
    In defense of the 1400 Array though, we all have to keep in mind that J.M wasn't kidding when he said the LE14H was "old school". The 1501Fe and the 1501Al are light years ahead in technology some fifty years after the fact. The 2216Nd is so full of goodies it is ridiculous. How a ten pound fifteen-inch transducer can do what it does is staggering. Rumor has it that JBL is so thoroughly impressed with the 2216Nd that there might be a twelve-inch version as well as another fifteen-inch version having a lower Fs.

And the 3-inch 435 simply isn't a 476. It is a nice enough transducer but compared to a 476... even G.T. made the remark that when you put them side by side it is quite clear which one has the advantage.

Cool my 2 cents worth

Hi Ron;

I had a oair of 1501Fe's for about a month. I didn't have an ideal set of boxes to run them in but soon decided that the old JBL drivers had indeed lived their heyday.

Man I love efficiency. Habbit dictates the volume knob position and I keep getting suprized by how much louder these play. Lovin' it!

Go hear these when you get the chance.

Barry.
    I think the 1501Fe/2206/Be horn/driver tri-amped would make one small but powerfull system.

Tube amps on MF/HF and 1501Fe's like high current sand amps only. x-over points of 120hz and 1200hz!

Just the ramblings of a old audio hobbyist!

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Congrats Barry!! That is a really nice pair of speakers you have there!!

I too would agree that once I swapped in my 476Mg's in place of the 435Be's, I was down right blown away.

I have yet to hear my 1500AL's with my 476's but I still truly love my LE14H-3's coupled with my 2 2245's and the 476's.

I am currently using G's high-pass passive XO's on the 476's and I really only use the 045Be's as a filler in the SAM1HF!

Excellent setup Barry!!

Enjoy
    Always fun learning more.......

Thumbs up

Killer speakers, Barry! I'm green with envy! I'm sure those babies will provide you with many great hours of listening enjoyment!

I can't wait to hear them at a future LVAC (Las Vegas Audio Club) meeting!
    S4700 owner.

HI All;

Like Widet said, I too like the Arrays and for the living room that I share with the rest of the family they fit the bill very well. I am a large format guy and sometimes when I want to open it up they just don't get there.

Hi dingding, thank you.

4313b, I get the M2 is a system and I would likely start with the Crown amp system. They are the only other large format studio monitor that I am interested in that I don't already have, but I would have to love it first.

The prospect of a low FS 2216 and a super 12 is exciting!

As said above the large format drivers are what gets it done for me and the 476's really knock it out of the park!

Hi Ron, I get what you are saying, my 4350s are quad amped, five actually and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Hey Shane! Nothing to argue with there but, I just don't share all the love for the LE14's that many do. I don't dislike them but I love the flavor (caution! imprecise audio descriptor!) of high efficiency drivers. I really thought about re-woofing the Arrray's but then even if you could fit a different woofer without butchering the cab, you would soon hit the limits of the 435 and at what point do you just jump for the 4365, M2 or a pair of DD's?

Hey Dave, you will, you will.

Thanks all and, all the best,
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Nice...

I love these threads. It's great to read about all the excellent new JBL systems out there. Those of us farther down the price curve can hear what the new owners are experiencing, and plan our ebay/CL searches for 2025 :-)

jblnut

Thumbs up

Hey Dave, you will, you will.
    Cool, sounds good. Thanks! Until then, bring the roof down with those babies!
    S4700 owner.

Finally, some 4365:s in the US!
    Congratulations!
    I was not fully satisfied with my 4365:s until I went active bi-amp with an dbx 260. It was an huge improvement in my system. Passively they needed to play on very high volume to sound good.
    My theory is that the crossover is somewhat downgraded to not make them mess with the big K2s.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    My theory is that the crossover is somewhat downgraded to not make them mess with the big K2s.
    I have posted the passive network schematics, voltage drives and transducer complements for the 4365, K2-S9900, DD65000, DD66000 and DD67000.
    The difference in sound between them all is indeed a personal preference.
    I only post this for those who like to experiment around with various passive networks.
    They are all very interesting, how they relate to their respective transducers/horns/enclosures.
    But perhaps not quite as interesting as a Crown I-Tech 5000HD. That is a significant amount of money by comparison though, and a potentially significant amount of work to dial in.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    But perhaps not quite as interesting as a Crown I-Tech 5000HD. That is a significant amount of money by comparison though, and a potentially significant amount of work to dial in.
    I just checked the price of that thing, ouch! And you need 3 of them to run the pair of 4365:s all-in fully active (I myself made it a 2-way and skipped the UHF)
    To pay more for the amplification than the speakers feels somewhat wrong to me!

Good Morning, Barry,

I have to tell you that I am very impressed by your report on the 4365s! And, your talented daughter's comments put many supposed audio reporters to shame, with their clear and concise phrasing! Well done, all around! Sweet Bride and I very much look forward to paying you another visit, and to hearing these wonderful JBLs! With current our budget, I don't see any chance of a future purchase of such wonderful speakers for ourselves. But, will be great fun to take vicarious audio delight in hearing yours someday!! Thanks, again, for sharing these, Barry, and hearty congratulations on acquiring them!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

One thing that I first noticed when moving them around is how rigid the enclosured are. 1" MDF all around. They knock like a brick. They and away the most solid enclosures in my stable.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    I was not fully satisfied with my 4365:s until I went active bi-amp with an dbx 260. It was an huge improvement in my system. Passively they needed to play on very high volume to sound good.
    I doubt that they would purposefully de-tune a speaker to keep it in line with it's pricing. That said the K2s do have a much more sophisticated and more costly network.

I listened to the 4365s stock for several days and was quite impressed with them. I do have a very nice front end with a pair of Halo JC-1 mono blocks driving the speakers which may have helped.

Could you please describe the improvements you sought and achieved by going active?

Widget

Thread Information