Thread: baffle milling work,

baffle milling work,

hey, its me. Sifting my options, which arent abundant, but in few. I have a single 4333 cabinet and lookkng for a second. I have located a second, further up north from me. Thank goodness, However I just started to think maybe I can build one. So if I bought all nenecessary parts of the cabinet, would any memeber be willing to allow me to ship the baffle to them to be opened? I have borrowed the dimenssions from this web site, so they are already in toe, Any thoughts, brian d.

Potty mouth,

Im mean shipping only the baffle, to be milled. Not the entire cabinet.
    Silly...

Hey ffffellow diyer,
    Not like scarface. But yeah,
    Dollars and sense. Whatcha got?

I think you are better off to be patient and find a second one. It aint gonna be cheap if you want to have someone to build it. Lot of hours. Or you can do it yourself. That's what I would do...

Quote Originally Posted by bldozier View Post
    hey, its me. Sifting my options, which arent abundant, but in few. I have a single 4333 cabinet and lookkng for a second. I have located a second, further up north from me. Thank goodness, However I just started to think maybe I can build one. So if I bought all nenecessary parts of the cabinet, would any memeber be willing to allow me to ship the baffle to them to be opened? I have borrowed the dimenssions from this web site, so they are already in toe, Any thoughts, brian d.
    Mount Kisco? My Lord. There must be 50 woodworkers within 25 miles from where you live. Do you not own woodworking tools? If you do I have a simple solution for cutting your baffle, as long as you have a router.

That looks like im msg, myself, I guess they got mad and left,
    It looks that way but all the folks ive contacted mostly do cabinet work, im looking for a carpenter wood worker, not woodworker woodworker, thats what I was told.

Had a great quote for $300.00 before I had the idead on the baffle. I dont own tools. I cont see the need in buying them for one project I may buy an old yankee hand drill and use a dovetail saw for the baffle, but that would take forever.

Im holding out,

But no I dont own tools, whats wrong with asking to have just the baffle cut?

....I dont own tools, whats wrong with asking to have just the baffle cut?

Nothing at all.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

[QUOTE=bldozier;372498]

"...im looking for a carpenter wood worker, not woodworker woodworker, thats what I was told."

I'm not sure what you mean by, "woodworker woodworker". What you're in need of is a cabinet maker, or perhaps a finish carpenter who would have a router with a circle cutting attachment.

"...I may buy an old yankee hand drill and use a dovetail saw for the baffle, but that would take forever."

I can't imagine why you think you would require a dove tail saw to cut a baffle panel, or to use something as clumsy as a Yankee drill. I have a suggestion. Try to locate some local sound companies in your area that manufacturer their own speaker enclosures. Perhaps one of them might be kind enough to help you without taking you to the cleaners. If you lived in my area I would help you.

Unless you are handy yourself and have experience in building with wood (which it sounds like you are not at this point), its a whole lot easier, and ultimately less expensive to buy a used JBL cabinet like the one Subwoof has noted to you - it even matches the studio grey configuration and provides you with a grey color for color matching. With that, you also get the assurance, all things equal, that you have genuine JBL cabinets with all their cabinetry experience and build quality. You would also then have a clear pattern for the fiberglass installation and layout, plus a template for getting a second control for the tweeter crossover section of the 3133 3 way crossover.

Reproducing a JBL studio monitor from scratch, especially the cabinet, is no easy task, even for someone with experience and means - it can be done, but the cost in man-hours and materials can be much more than locating and obtaining a good used cabinet. Besides, you can spend the money on a good veneer job instead to make them really look nice, if that your thing.

Otherwise, be patient when looking for the component parts, woofers, drivers, tweeters, crossovers. It will never be an inexpensive venture, and don't be tempted to use substitutes, with JBL pro speakers, you will get JBL performance with JBL parts.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

[QUOTE=Horn Fanatic;372501][QUOTE=bldozier"...I may buy an old yankee hand drill and use a dovetail saw for the baffle, but that would take foreve.[/QUOTE]

I am guessing that may be tongue in cheek for "I don't currently even have rudimentory woodworking tools.

+1 on an existing cab if you can.

All the best,
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

That looks like im msg, myself, I guess they got mad and left,
    It looks that way but all the folks ive contacted mostly do cabinet work, im looking for a carpenter wood worker, not woodworker woodworker, thats what I was told.

Had a great quote for $300.00 before I had the idead on the baffle. I dont own tools. I cont see the need in buying them for one project I may buy an old yankee hand drill and use a dovetail saw for the baffle, but that would take forever.

Im holding out,

But no I dont own tools, whats wrong with asking to have just the baffle cut?
    $300? Not bad at all!!! Go for it!

Whatever you do, just be sure you wind up with 2 identical cabinets -
    to be sure they both sound the same.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

greeeaaatttt!!!!.

will see what happens.
    thanks all.
    brian.

Thread Information