Thread: TAD TD401 Damaged during shipping?

TAD TD401 Damaged during shipping?

Hi, I had a pair of nice TD401s that I was saving for a project, but I had to sell them in order to buy a second Lansing Iconic for stereo. Both drivers worked perfectly. Anyway, I packed the drivers very well, with each in its own box. I just heard from the buyer who says that one only makes a scratching sound and that the other is totally silent. Would this be the pole piece shifting during shipment? How much of a jolt does it take to knock that out of alignment? Trying to figure out the likelihood of it happening on both. I've never had anything like this happen before.

[QUOTE=farleybob;371983]Hi, I had a pair of nice TD401s that I was saving for a project, but I had to sell them in order to buy a second Lansing Iconic for stereo. Both drivers worked perfectly. Anyway, I packed the drivers very well, with each in its own box. I just heard from the buyer who says that one only makes a scratching sound and that the other is totally silent. Would this be the pole piece shifting during shipment? How much of a jolt does it take to knock that out of alignment? Trying to figure out the likelihood of it happening on both. I've never had anything like this happen before. [/QUOTE?

Did you sell them on Ebay? If so, how were they packed, and which shipping company did you use?

If you tested them before shipping then the buyer is most likely talking rubbish. Even totally out of alignment(locked) and/or with damaged VC/diaphragm they would make sound.

Have the buyer send you pictures of the boxes. Did you bolt the speaker to a piece of heavy plywood? If so, it is totally possible that it took enough of a hit to move the magnet. Sorry to hear about damaged TAD's...

Quote Originally Posted by farleybob View Post
    Hi, I had a pair of nice TD401s that I was saving for a project, but I had to sell them in order to buy a second Lansing Iconic for stereo. Both drivers worked perfectly. Anyway, I packed the drivers very well, with each in its own box. I just heard from the buyer who says that one only makes a scratching sound and that the other is totally silent. Would this be the pole piece shifting during shipment? How much of a jolt does it take to knock that out of alignment? Trying to figure out the likelihood of it happening on both. I've never had anything like this happen before.
    I suspect the seller is trying to play tricks. Has he asked for a partial refund while keeping the drivers? Ask him for pictures of the boxes, reading of the resistance for each driver, etc.

I think it would be in your interest to send the dude a full refund and have a local LH member pick-up the drivers and test them / reship them to you.

Lee

Hi, I'll ask for photos of the boxes. I asked if the buyer about the packing and he said everything looked ok. I asked about the pole pieces and he said they are still in place and properly centered. He sent a couple of photos of diaphragms. One showing a diaphragm with a broken lead and one showing a diaphragm that was twisted inside its frame (like something had pushed one side forward and pulled one side back). Other than getting whacked by a loose pole piece, I'm trying to figure out how that could happen. It was shipped via FEDEX ground with a ton of bubble wrap (at least 3" all the way around) and enough packing to securely hold the packed driver in place in an 18" box. I messaged through ebay to say that if he ships it back I'll refund payment one I can verify everything is correct.

Make sure the drivers he ships back are the ones you sent him ;-) Pretty sure you have plenty of pictures of your drivers... ;-)

Actually, perhaps you can post your pictures and his pictures so that we can check.

Lee

Thread Information