I've had my 250Ti since 2011 and they have given me very little trouble since then thanks in no small part to advice obtained here.

But now things have changed. I also own a pair of Martin Logan CLS 1 and Kinergetics SW-800 subs. Last summer I set them up in place of the 250Ti just to give a listen. The CLS sound quite nice but recently I began to become a bit disenchanted with their limitations (lack of dynamics, impact). And since we are getting ready to do some major home renovation and I expect quite a bit of dust floating around the house (not good for ESLs), I decided to pack up the Martin Logans and move the good old 250Ti back into my system.

Listening to the 250Ti, I was startled to hear a kind of noisy, hissy distortion coming from both 044Ti tweeters. Judging from what I've read, I assume this is the dreaded tweeter damping foam rot syndrome. I thought I had it a couple of years ago but I swapped out my original drivers for a spare set and that seemed to be an improvement but I guess the replacements have it now too. For the record, the distortion is not always there, it's audibility depends on source material, and to a much lesser degree the electronics I use with the speakers. But it looks like I've come to the end of the line with these tweeters as they are. I tried putting the old drivers back in but to no avail-- they all seem to have this distortion. Maybe it was always there but perhaps it took using the other speakers for me to hear it clearly when I switched back to the JBLs.

My question then is what next? It would seem most of us with original 250Ti are in the same boat-- 25-30 year old systems with tweeters that can't easily be replaced and uncertain prospects for repair or refurb. Has anyone found suitable replacement drivers or an outfit that can refurb these?