Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: UREI Speaker discussions

Angela spotted a listing for a set of 811C's that were practically in our backyard, couldn't resist. When we got there, the gentleman said he had a third one he'd like to sell to us if we were interested. Yep, I have an addiction and couldn't turn these away. Actually wanted three, as the goal is to use these as L, R and C in the home theater. The fella had all kinds of groovy JBL stuff and we got to talking, we didn't leave until about two hours later.

Wow, now that's real cool!!

Good stuff

Thank you, fellas!!

Pretty stoked about 'em.

..On a side note: why don't these have tuned ports like most other speakers? Why just little boxes cut into the cabinets? Isn't that just lazy? Would they sound better if tuned? For what these things cost new, I'm surprised they are this way.. For example, 4435's are tuned and look better aesthetically, yet those were significantly less $$$ than 813C's. What gives?

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    This past weekend my 813C's had puppies:
    Yeah, you got it bad, and thats real good!
    So ... collect the whole set!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

How are these not tuned ports?

Thank you, fellas!!

... why don't these have tuned ports like most other speakers? Why just little boxes cut into the cabinets? Isn't that just lazy? Would they sound better if tuned? For what these things cost new, I'm surprised they are this way.. For example, 4435's are tuned and look better aesthetically, yet those were significantly less $$$ than 813C's. What gives?

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Yeah, you got it bad, and thats real good!
    So ... collect the whole set!

Just need me some 809's or another pair of 811C's and I can have a 5.2 UREI surround sound set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley Casey View Post
    How are these not tuned ports?
    They're just cut outs in the box.. Aren't tuned ports supposed to be tubular of a specific length?

Just need me some 809's or another pair of 811C's and I can have a 5.2 UREI surround sound set up. They're just cut outs in the box.. Aren't tuned ports supposed to be tubular of a specific length?
    Those are tuned as per the size of the hole in the box even if it does not have any ducting, well it has 3/4 inch of ducting. Among other things adding ducting length to a port lets you increase the port size while keeping the tuning frequency the same.

Derek,

A port or vent can be many shapes and still keep the name "port": round, rectangle, square, triangle, slot. Shape is not really a concern and as long as dimensions are not extreme (too large/long or too small). Some JBL SR boxes use triangular vents, mostly due to baffle space use.

The first consequence of using a longer tube (or other) is tuning the box lower, other things being equal. Then in order to make it shorter one may use a larger area port (e.g. increased diameter). In speaker software i play with both port area and length up until a combination does the trick for a specific project.

Without port covers its definitely a vented box, but if the port covers were on it would "flirt" with a sealed box, or at least be considered as a hybrid cab, not really a vented box.

Since there's fans for everything i guess one could mimic or so sealed cab operation/transient response when covering the vents with the foam plugs. If they're high density foam it could block vent action, but if low density foam it would be seen as a resistive vent.

As reported by Dickason, Thiele had nothing positive to say with regards to resistive vents, such as higher F3, lower efficiency, higher distortion, etc and concluded why bother? (I posted this before in my BGW thread).

I had a quick look twice at the JBL/Urei Tech Manual (813C) and owner manual (811C, 813C, 815C) for any info and explanations about the foam plugs use (when, why, etc) and to my surprise didn't see anything (or i'm blind). This apparent silence is very curious in view of the consequences (i.e. Thiele's). I find this inexcusable due to the implications.

Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    POWERED BY: QSC, Ashly, Tascam, Rolls Mosfet, NAD, and Crest Audio

Those foam covers add air resistance just like a port. Depending on the density and thickness of the foam you can shorten the duct lengths. JBL does this in the shallow cinema boxes where the duct length is restricted because of the depth of the box.

I wouldn't be so quick to just write the foam off as just covers without a better understanding of the box tuning. They could actually be a critical part of the "duct length".

Rob :}
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Thank you for the responses, fellas.

I've seen that image before, worth a chuckle for me as it's inaccurate as it suggests each woofer has it's own enclosure. They do not. As a layman, I'm just trying to understand why there is no port (and no seperate enclosure for each woofer) despite the high price tag these things carried. The port size is the same between the 811C and 813C, I figured the single woofer and lower cabinet volume might have lead to a different port design or size. They sound phenomenal to me, but sometimes I think, "Wow, they're just a super heavy black box with a coax driver and helper woofer. The profit margin on these had to be 80% or better..." Meanwhile, I look at 4435's and think, "Wow, these are beautiful. Nice wood veneer and Dolly Parton's likeness. However, their sensitivity is lower as was their price tag..."

I also thought the foam plugs were just cosmetic. Had no idea they could result in lower efficiency, although my 813C's plugs are missing. However, the entire cabinet of each 813 is STUFFED with wool. Same for the B460 clones. I never asked RustyJefferson why he did that, just took it as a beneficial mod from a sage. Figured if he took the time to fill the cabinets, it was for an improvement. So of course I've left that stuff in there and am wondering if I should fill the cabinet of the 811Cs with it as well.

Since you mention the entire cabinet of each 813 is STUFFED with wool. The absence of separate enclosures might be linked to the wool stuffing. The increased absorption from a lot of wool may actually render another chamber unnecessary, the drivers back waves may be absorbed anyway.

Wool stuffing is typical on sealed box systems. In vented boxes wool is typically lined on the panels, not stuffed. But there's an exception: more wool to generate additional box volume (see below).

Here, the wool stuffing and the standard port covers could be clues the box should normally be used with these on, mimic a sealed box or simply a resistive port. In that view removing the port covers would be sort of an exception, maybe to satisfy vented box "hardliners" on efficiency, distortion, cone travel, etc. Hard to say for sure when JBL/Urei has failed to explain their intent and purpose in the docs i have.

I don't know Jefferson's motivation with regards to stuffing of the B460 clone. A possible explanation that comes to mind is that he possibly wanted to create virtual volume for the box (larger size). By adding a fair amount of wool in the cab the woofer then "sees" the box as if it was larger than actual due to increased absorption. For even lower F3, flatten some bump or to mitigate a resonance ?

Richard