Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Construction of DIY L300 enclosures.

Construction of DIY L300 enclosures.

In a previous post I stated I was going to construct a DIY version of the L300 boxes. In searching numerous posts on this site as to the shape, size and exact dimensions I have a few questions. Hopefully someone that either has done this or owns a L300 can answer.

1. Am I correct in assuming that the sides of the enclosure are made of pre-veneered walnut MDF panels and that the rounded edges where the sides join the top are made of solid walnut stock? In other words the flat parts are walnut veneered and the rounded parts are solid walnut.

2. If this is the case how are the top and side panels joined internally? In other words what does the internal bracing inside the cabinet look like where the top (and bottom) meets the side panels?

Evening,

Our L300's are made of 3/4" high density particle board for the top, bottom, sides, and back, and the baffle front is made of 1" Baltic birch, or something very much like it. I believe the sides are locked to the top with a special locking joint, information for which can be found in the JBL Contruction Guide, in the JBL Library here at LH. The sides are veneered with walnut, and the top edges on both sides have 1/4 -round length of walnut hardwood attached to it, with a smoked glass top to fill it in.

Check out this link, and look at the cut-away views of the L300, compared to the 4333.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/.../1975-l300.htm

This should tell you much about what you are wanting to know. But, if you have further questions, please give a shout, and I'll do what I can to help. Take care, and God Bless!

Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    ...and the baffle front is made of 1" Baltic birch, or something very much like it.
    Are you sure? The cut away that you referenced clearly shows 3/4" MDF.

Do your 077s fit flush on the baffle or do they protrude slightly out from the front surface. To my knowledge all of the JBL 43XX Series with these slot tweeters have them slightly proud of the surface as do the L65s and I thought L300s. The only exception is the 4350/4355 where they do use 1" Baltic birch and the tweeters are essentially flush with the blue baffle.

Widget

Morning, Widget,

In truth, I did not pull the 2235H's from our L300's to check, and instead, checked on a pair of 4333 cabinets that Grumpy gave me quite a few years ago. I've installed 2235H's in them, as well, and since the info from JBL stated that the enclosure for the L300 was made of material up to 1" thick, and that the cabinet is structurally identical to the 4333 in every respect, I assumed the 1" to be the baffle, where it would do the most good. I also took a photo of the baffle of the 4333, which shows clearly that it is made of laminated Baltic birch, or something similar, and not MDF.

Name:  DSCN5178.jpg
Views: 1182
Size:  60.2 KB

You know what they say about people who "assume", though, and maybe our L300's are made differently. I checked the 077s, and the 2405's that are installed in the L300's and 4333's, respectively, and both protrude just a tad from the front baffles of their respective cabinets. So, that probably means that the material, no matter what it's made of, is only 3/4" thick. But, where would JBL use 1" material, if not the baffle, where it would seem to do the most good? Just for giggles, I can lay one of our L300's on it's back today, and remove the 2235H, just to check the material of the baffle, if that would help. I'm always up for learning something, new, or old! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Hi guys thanks for the info so far. I'm still not sure how the internal (under the veneer and quarter round) sides meets the top. I'm traveling now and will post more detailed question when I return. Thanks.
    Tom

Hi, Tom,

Here's another bit of information from one of our fine members, that you may find very helpful.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...300+dimensions

Some excellent measurements, and also detailed shots of the corner construction about which you asked. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Doc, Tom has already found and posted that link in his quest... many of the dimensions on that drawing are not called out. They are simply labeled as various unknowns.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Are you sure? The cut away that you referenced clearly shows 3/4" MDF.
    Do your 077s fit flush on the baffle or do they protrude slightly out from the front surface. To my knowledge all of the JBL 43XX Series with these slot tweeters have them slightly proud of the surface as do the L65s and I thought L300s. The only exception is the 4350/4355 where they do use 1" Baltic birch and the tweeters are essentially flush with the blue baffle.
    Widget
    On the 4343 they are flush, 100% sure.

Quote Originally Posted by martin2395 View Post
    On the 4343 they are flush, 100% sure.
    Because the 4343 has that rotating upper baffle, they may have used a 1 inch baffle on it as well… I'm not sure.

Widget

Widget is correct about the 4343 using a 1" baffle and therefore the 2405 is flush ..

Rich

Confirmed

I'm almost ready to start construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Doc, Tom has already found and posted that link in his quest... many of the dimensions on that drawing are not called out. They are simply labeled as various unknowns.

Widget
    Hello all,
    Back from road trip and about ready to buy materials and start construction on DIY L300s. I think I have enough info on dimensions, but just wanted to verify the radius of the rounded edges. It looks like a 1 inch radius, but maybe 3/4 inch. Does anyone know? Also, is there anything that prevents the glass top from sliding forward or back? Thanks.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by richluvsound View Post
    Widget is correct about the 4343 using a 1" baffle and therefore the 2405 is flush ...
    Weird that the 4345 is not flush, isn't it?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

What does this have to do with my original question?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Weird that the 4345 is not flush, isn't it?
    3/4 inch is 1/4 inch less than 1 inch. Sorry, but I get a little exasperated sometimes at posts like this.
    Tom

I guess that the 4343 has 1 inch panels because of the 50% of the front baffle being removable (= less rigid).

Thread Information