Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: JBL Hartsfield

Hey detective Mike - Way to go. One additional thing I thought of to check is the connection posts on the LX5. I assume they are similar to all those "crossover in a box" designs and as a result are prone to loosen with age; the plastic insulators under the posts shrink and the post assembly loosens. As a result, the cute little connector wire eyelets inside the box don't clamp properly and can cause all nature of weird problems. If so, you will have to open the back covers and tighten the screws (small Philips). But, if the posts feel solid/tight don't bother. On the amps, just be certain all the grounds are perfect including the RCA connectors. I used to find internal grounding problems with old Marantz and Crown stuff - particularly with age. Also Mike

Rosewood veneer

Classic Audio uses Bolivian Rosewood for their "Rosewood" Hartsfield Reproductions
    The true specie name is Pau Ferro and can be purchased in paperback 4x8' sheets
    but we use unbacked book matches flithes so we can match all panels.
    $575 is way to much=$18.00/sq/ft.
    Good Luck

A little late to the thread but in case you are interested.
    The Vancouver Hartsfields are not Classic Audio or factory JBL.
    3 obvious observations.
    1- The N-500 is wrong, should be a N-500H N-400 was for early Paragon and other 150-4c systems.It looks completely different,like an early LX-5.
    2-The space that the gold lense is in looks to tall, should be 7-5/8" to 7-3/4" tall. Look at the 1/4" acorn nuts that hold the lenseplates together.JBL used a black acorn, Classic uses a brass acorn nut.
    3- The coffin cover should only have 10-screws 5/side, attaching it to the main cabinet.
    Over the past 40+ years I have talked to many people who have built these cabinets
    Whether JBL's or ? they look great and depending on what you are looking for, are an impresive sounding speaker and can only get better with a few changes.
    Use Watco natural to oil the cabinets and rub out with 3M Pads (fine)
    Good Luck
    jw5115

Maron Horonzakz
    I never seen a N500H... The N500 was was nominal 12ohm on the low side & i6 ohm on the high side

I'm no Hartsfield expert, but 10 minutes of google searching shows both crossover types, with a pic of the 'H' version on the early cabinets (?)

some other pics here :
    http://www.hifido.co.jp/KWHartsfield/G1/E/0-50/

show 3,5, and 7 screws per side on the backs, and some as 'Japanese made'. Could these have come from Japan to Canada???

The ones the OP bought are a beautiful matched pair in fantastic condition, and look to have real vintage JBL drivers. What's not to like!

Maron Horonzakz
    That's really odd...Usually the N500 will have the level strapping bars....That one has a rotary switch... H for 8ohms Mine had strapping bars

pic from a recent auction: N500H, with rotary switch. Compare with the OP crossovers, which are as Maron describes, with level bars. Looking at the different pics out there...it would take some digging to figure out what came when and was installed on what... I see N500, N500H and then there's a JBL brochure listing N400/N7000 as installed in these!!

anyhoo... If the OP Hartsfields are repro's, they certainly look like they used period appropriate internals, in great looking cabinets.

Hey Guys

Been working like crazy.
    The acorn nuts are black and the lens measures 7-1/2".
    Coffin cover has 16 screws .
    If they are real McCoy or not is no issue to me. The speakers have given me endless hours of
    great music.
    My toes are a tapping am just having fun.
    To my eyes the speakers are gorgeous to boot.

jw5115 what changes do you recommend or suggest please ??

One friend whose opinion I value highly suggested old vintage McIntosh tube amps.
    Anyone here tried or heard these with Hartsfields ?

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by rugy View Post
    One friend whose opinion I value highly suggested old vintage McIntosh tube amps.
    Anyone here tried or heard these with Hartsfields ?

I don't think vintage Macs are the only thing in town for those. One that first came to mind is the ARC Classic 30 with upgraded caps.

Yes, agree with LowPhreak. Are you aware of Mike Hawthorn's Quicksilver Audio in Calif? Specialize in hi efficiency tube gear. Point-to-point hand wired, KIS (Keep It Simple). See web site. Good customer service contact, extremely helpful. Many ideas - too many! I use his line pre amp with good results. Dead quiet. Simple.

Heard of Quicksilver years ago but they weren't on my radar. Affordable too.
    Classic 30 looks interesting as well and a good write ups on the amp as well.
    Thank you for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mannermusic View Post
    Yes, agree with LowPhreak. Are you aware of Mike Hawthorn's Quicksilver Audio in Calif? Specialize in hi efficiency tube gear. Point-to-point hand wired, KIS (Keep It Simple). See web site. Good customer service contact, extremely helpful. Many ideas - too many! I use his line pre amp with good results. Dead quiet. Simple.
    Mike Sanders is the Quicksilver founder/owner, not Mike Hawthorne (British racing driver of yore). Sorry. Perhaps we should keep the edit software available a few days longer?

Local person had a mint MC 225 for sale which he happily brought over to my place to try with my Harts.
    Had an awesome time listening to tunes for over three hours. Quite a nice amp.
    Bought the amp two days later and have it playing as I'm writing.
    The amp doesn't generate heat the way my Topaz does and it doesn't light up the room either.
    Nice for when I bring the set up to the Island.
    Will make some custom termination for the speaker leads so that I can use different speaker wires that have spades or bananas terminations. Those .12 diameter are wee bit small.
    Thanks for all the help guys.

Well here we are many moons later and wanted to share my findings.
    Been using a Mc 225 along with a MX110x which has been working very well.
    Had an itch for for a headphone amp so I committed to a MicroZotl-2.
    Received the Zotl last week Friday and have been running it to allow for break in of unit.
    The Zotl is actually like a Swiss knife. Meant to be a headphone amp but it can be used as a pre amp as well.
    The little amp has an output of 1.5 watts, speaker connectors on the rear, so I tried it on my Harts.
    Yesterday I moved it into my music room. Still early on but holly macaroni, loving what I'm hearing..

Thread Information