Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Hartsfield

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    I keep looking at the back of those cabinets,,And think of CLASSIC AUDIO REPRODUCTIONS of Brighton Mi. ,,,,They made Rosewood Hartsfield reproductions... The one piece back panels,,Do not look like ones I see here,,With ones a friend of mine has in St.Louis...
    I am no Hartsfield expert, but unless Audio Reproductions was building them before the '90s or managed to secure a stash of Brazilian Rosewood, this type of Rosewood hasn't been available since it became illegal to trade in 1992 due to the trees becoming an endangered species.

Widget

Maron Horonzakz
    Apparently John Wolf has a stash of rosewood,,And has been using them on his version of the hartsfields,,, Might not be from Brazil though... He has been showing them that a various shows,,,I,l Have to call him,,

Maron Horonzakz
    Sources are still available of Rosewood from WOODCRAFT and AMAZON...$575 for a 4'x8' sheet...WOW..

Apparently John Wolf has a stash of rosewood,,And has been using them on his version of the hartsfields,,, Might not be from Brazil though... He has been showing them that a various shows,,,I,l Have to call him,,
    You will need to phone him... I just tried looking at their website to see examples of their "rosewood", but their site seems to be broken.

Many companies are still offering "rosewood" speakers and furniture but it is typically pau ferro which is commonly called rosewood these days. Dalbergia nigra is the name of true rosewood... the Hartsfields pictured in this thread are definitely true rosewood... and quite magnificent.

Widget

Sources are still available of Rosewood from WOODCRAFT and AMAZON...$575 for a 4'x8' sheet...WOW..
    They appear to have several species that they are marketing as rosewood, but no true Brazilian Rosewood.

Widget

Maron Horonzakz
    True,,, some coming from India,,, But the back of the (pictured) unit is not quite right....I,ll have to check the St.Lois Hartsfieds.

Rugy,

I don't know if they're originals or reproductions, or if that matters to you, but they are beautiful. The matched veneer work is excellent, not to mention the condition if they are 50+ years old. Congratulations. Post a picture when you get them set up!

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    Rugy,

I don't know if they're originals or reproductions, or if that matters to you, but they are beautiful. The matched veneer work is excellent, not to mention the condition if they are 50+ years old. Congratulations. Post a picture when you get them set up!
    +1

Personally I wouldn't care either way... they are truly amazing looking.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Many companies are still offering "rosewood" speakers and furniture but it is typically pau ferro which is commonly called rosewood these days. Dalbergia nigra is the name of true rosewood... the Hartsfields pictured in this thread are definitely true rosewood... and quite magnificent.

Widget
    Out LR furniture is carved/inlaid Chinese and the retailer called it Rosewood , but others said it was stained Teak.

Last week a pro woodworking guy came over and thought it wasn't teak after all , said teak is much lighter weight. Now I don't know what it is, tho it is sourced from China.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    They are truly beautiful and a work of art. If they sound as good as they look, it really won't matter. Certainly looks like the drivers are original pieces. As the owner of a pair of reproduction 4345s, I can tell you it wouldn't make much difference to me as long as they made the music sing the way I like it!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Hey Guys
    Going to set them up this weekend either in the living room which would be relatively easy but not ideal.
    Or will move them into my listening room which is way more work, plus my main speakers will be just behind the Harts.
    We have a 3 day weekend, Family day here in BC.

I am not overly concerned on being an original Hartsfield as the sound is quite nice and I didn't buy them to resell.

Have to figure out the crossover which means I will have to remove it and will bring it to the Audio Clinic in Vancouver.
    Will post a pic when speakers are in temporary location.

But if the rain stops will head to the Island to commence the stripping of the forms that we poured last Saturday. Our retirement home.
    I only work on the Islands on weekends. Either way it's a win win situation.

Name:  IMG_4458.jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  89.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_4346.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  119.9 KB

Decided to try to clean up the years of dust on the speakers.
    Removed the top of the Hartsfield where I found lots of dust and on odd grey wire leading to the one side of the speaker. Hmm.
    Figured out how to remove the front cloth and what have we got. A JBL driver that says 075.

Name:  IMG_6405.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  76.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_6404.jpg
Views: 1465
Size:  86.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_6410.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  62.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_6411.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  48.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_6417.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  61.6 KB

So that makes this a three way which I didn't know when I purchased them.
    Knowing that tweeters are directional should it be sitting above the 375 driver ?
    Opened up a can of worms/speakers as my knowledge is limited with the Hartsfield/JBL's.

Now to figure out how to get to the crossover.

Thanks for reading.

VERY Nice speakers!!

The later Hartsfield were 3-way With 075 tweeter: http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pr...hartsfield.htm

Here's a nice page on original vs replica, also with lots of pictures that might help you: http://www.hifido.co.jp/merumaga/kai...17/indexe.html

Hi Baldrick

Thank you for your kind words and for sharing the links.
    The Japanese link shows the original Hartsfield with my crossover which gives me a sigh of relief.
    I thought that I had an oddball crossover with my previous searching and comments.

After opening up the back it shows that the woofer is a 150-4c serial#11810
    Crossover is the N500 serial# 3898
    Haven't opened the second speaker. I can only take up so much room in my living room.
    Below is are pictures of the crossover removed from the back of the box.
    Is there an online manual for the crossover settings as the bus bar is movable for the HF Attenuation D.B.
    Also what up with the resistor ?? Keep it or remove it ??

Now to put it all back together.

Name:  IMG_6441.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  141.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6447.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  125.6 KB

Name:  IMG_6443.jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  104.8 KB

Name:  IMG_6444.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  96.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rugy View Post
    Removed the top of the Hartsfield where I found lots of dust and on odd grey wire leading to the one side of the speaker. Hmm.
    Figured out how to remove the front cloth and what have we got. A JBL driver that says 075.
    Hi RUGY,

Lucky You are !!!!

I wish You enjoy the listening your speakers...

Reagrds
    Ivica

Thread Information