Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My JBL 4355 build

Quote Originally Posted by .:hb:. View Post
    Whatever you do - just don't open a speaker company. There are far too many out there, and all of them want to become rich from the German market. Hint: Doesn't work...
    You are so right. In Germany sure NOT!

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Are You planning to use mass-ring or not.ivica

As Ralf is building a 4355 we need 2235 woofers and so we use the massring.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    It is just for fun...this is a machine owned by a friend of me who has a local wood worker factory. I helped him in the past to keep the machine up and running. Some weeks ago there was a problem with two broken coolers which caused an overheating of the controller CPU. He could not wait until a used part is available on the net and he decided to order a new machine. In the meanwhile we got a spare part, the machine is up and running again but he has no room for a second one. This was my chance to get this big iron for small money...
    and yes, it is a three axis CNC with tool changer and all what is needed to build lots of speakers in the future...

Cheers
    Ralf
    Hi Ralf,

Nice to see that the 'Horn-Production" can start.
    Well, for the beginning: a "Yuichi A290" for the beginning, as it would 'perfectly matched' with 4355 (instead of 2311+2308) and 2441/45/56/50 VHF drivers.

regards
    ivica

Whatever you do - just don't open a speaker company. There are far too many out there, and all of them want to become rich from the German market. Hint: Doesn't work...
    What about CNC work? Let's say a short production run of 10 sets of 4344, 4345 or even 4355 cabinets?

I'm sure they would sell quickly all over the world if the price is right, I'd even like a pair myself as I'm only missing a pair of 2235H and 2202H.

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi Ralf,

Nice to see that the 'Horn-Production" can start.
    Well, for the beginning: a "Yuichi A290" for the beginning, as it would 'perfectly matched' with 4355 (instead of 2311+2308) and 2441/45/56/50 VHF drivers.

regards
    ivica
    Hi Ivica,

what is the advantage of this horn compairing with the original set? I wanted to use the 2311/2308 because I have already a pair lying around here...

Cheers
    Ralf
    16 Hz can not be substituted

Quote Originally Posted by martin2395 View Post
    What about CNC work? Let's say a short production run of 10 sets of 4344, 4345 or even 4355 cabinets?

I'm sure they would sell quickly all over the world if the price is right, I'd even like a pair myself as I'm only missing a pair of 2235H and 2202H.
    I only want to build my own pair of 4355 which has to be finished first...if the CNC programs are available and there is really any interest for a kit then I maybe or not will think about it...

The problem with this big ones is the WAF...most of them do not want to have cabinets like this in their living room...this means not much of this sets would be sold.
    Just go to your wife and ask her what she is thinking about this cabinets which are maybe bigger than her wardrobe...don`t forget to crouch down after you asked :-)
    I had already discussions...I additionally have to build a hall of hell for my speaker collection to be able to enjoy some nightly music sessions together with my friends and a lot of beer...such speakers are costly...just think about if you really want that
    16 Hz can not be substituted

Hi Ivica,

what is the advantage of this horn compairing with the original set? I wanted to use the 2311/2308 because I have already a pair lying around here...

Cheers
    Ralf
    Hi Ralf,
    I have 2311 abd 2308 to, and a couples of 2441,2446,2450 2inch drivers, and listening some of them in 4333 diy boxes, I believe that longer ,larger horn like A290,would be more "musical "and natural, that some of the forum members can confirm. Owing to your CNC fortune, nice wooden horns would be "a must"
    Such type of horn does not need any more compensation then 2311 2308 (having almost perfect flar FR) up to 10kHz..
    On quite large box as 4355 such large horn (about 66cm wide) would be almost easy to be installed.

You are right thar 4355 are very very large boxes, but their sound efficieny is very very respectable.
    I can only imagine that dual 2245 would override 4355 bass strength , for sure in almost twice larger box.
    On my taste, I prefer even single 2245 then dual 2235. I wonder, my be dual 2231A would be
    comparativ to 2245.
    Especally the human voice reproduction of 2202 ,For Me, is something unforgetable.
    The other large problem about such project wuold be the availability of the drivers in good conditions
    Not to mention the prices if the are in original condition

proper ultra low noise amps would be a problem to, the sensitivity is about 100dB 1m 1W.

best luck in your project
    regards
    ivica

...wife and ask her what she is thinking about this cabinets which are maybe bigger than her wardrobe...I had already discussions...
    Consider yourself lucky, Ralf

Not many wives around with wardrobes smaller than a 4355

Finding the right colour for the baffle ended up with "RAL5007 brillantblau". The RAL chart is a standard colour code very common here in Germany - very useful, if you know the number, you can get (more or less) the same tone whereever you ask.

As for cabinet dampening, I didn't use the usual fiberglass stuff. It's not very effective and a pain in the a... to work with. I used a suitable amount of dirt cheap Ikea piilows, which is nothing but polyester wadding, exaxtly what we want here. Measurements showed tthe amount of absorbtion is just right.

The speakers made their first public appearance on last autumn's "European Triode Festival" in Berlin and did a really nice job. We had lots of amps and active crossovers to try, with some really unexpected results.

The actual state of things is to be seen on the last picture. I had to dye the diaphragms to black, otherwise I would have ended up with too many different tones.

So much for now, I hope you like what you see.
    Did you finish your trims around? I saw the work to take the base off and routered the front. Just wanted to see the result!
    Will you veneer them?
    Christophe

My JBL 4355 Build and Vertical version... much better imaging!

Challenger604 did a great job!.. only JBL 4350,55 owners can truly appreciate the sheer presence and sound of these.. I had no idea they would sound this real... Adele's HELLO sounds truly amazing. The bottom end is astounding.. don't need no stinking subwoofers here! unless your crazy like me.. added 2 Velodyne HGS-15's

Just admiring Challenger604's beautiful 4355 project over at the "4355 Monitor plans" thread I thought it's time to give you a glimpse at my 4355 version. It is, of course, not finished yet (the cabinet is lacking surface treatment) but this is going to happen soon.
    The cabinets are made of 25/20 mm beech ply, which is a really great material in terms of strength. But building such a beast from stuff that hard and heavy isn't exactly a piece of cake. But birch ply or MDF really can't compete with this, so I am finally happy after a lot of bruises and scratches .

I've made only minor changes to the original plans, for example there is now a support for the 2441 that really deserves the name and not that lousy sheet metal angle supporting the horn, not the driver.

Sourcing the drivers wasn't that easy here in Germany and so I ended up buying 2202, 2441, and 2405 in the US which didn't make things exactly cheaper, but everything turned out to be decent quality stuff, so I am fine with that.
    The woofers began their lives as E140 and got freshly reconed to 2235H. At least that's what I thought, In fact the additional mass rings got folded, so I ended up with 2234H with a slightly stronger motor (due to the stronger magnetisation of the E140 magnets). That didn't turn out to be a real problem. With the original 28 Hz cabinet alignment, the system is tuned a little bit too low, which can be easily corrected with a bass equalizer.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    JBL 4355 | JBL 4351 | JBL 4425 x 2 | JBL XPL 200 | JBL XPL 160 | JBL 4345

Quote Originally Posted by focalguy View Post
    Challenger604 did a great job!.. only JBL 4350,55 owners can truly appreciate the sheer presence and sound of these.. I had no idea they would sound this real... Adele's HELLO sounds truly amazing. The bottom end is astounding.. don't need no stinking subwoofers here! unless your crazy like me.. added 2 Velodyne HGS-15's
    Thank you John! Some are not aware! The 4355's are unbelievable!
    Cheers!
    Christophe

Absolutely not. 90 percent of my music comes from a turntable, and I like to keep things analog. And please let's skip the "But most of your vinyl is derived from digital material" discussion .
    If I'd feel the need to make substantial changes to the filtering, I'd be able to do that in the analog domain. But at the moment I don't feel the need to. That speaker just sounds exactly as wrong as I like it to .
    +1 on that ! My sentiments exactly !

BTW- Very nice build ! Congrats on the beautiful job !
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

Just to let you guys know how my 4355 story proceeded: They finally went to my new home (in fact, I moved just to find a suitable place for those speakers ), and I am getting there. Already very pleased with the sound, there's some room acoustics issues to take care of right now.
    Name:  4355_02.jpg
Views: 6933
Size:  120.1 KB
    Regards: Holger

Nice setup!
    I like those tilted shelves!

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Nice setup!
    I like those tilted shelves!
    Nice indeed!

I thunk those shelves were tilted from a wide lens but after much in depth studying someone indeed must have purposefully tilted those kallax racks.

Thread Information