Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Marantz 2252B for JBL L112

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    For some reason, Crown gear is scarce out here
    Must be that under-the-radar Mid-West sound thing!

My neighborhood hi-fi store when I was growing up in St. Louis sold McIntosh and Crown. I even have the report for my original Crown D150 when they tested it at the McIntosh Clinic along with my Mac C20. They kept the C20 overnight to pretty much completely rebuild it to get it to spec and this was back in the late '60s. I recall the first thing they did before running the test on any Mac product was to toss all the tubes and replace them with new ones!

The Crown was the cleanest amp they tested that day, and it beat its own specs including power output.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

In the Carver line you want to stay away from the Cube and the smaller amps like the TFM 15. The PM line BWMCCA is referring to is the professional line which some people really like and some think it has a little dry sound. I think a lot of that has to do with the speakers they are using.

Amps to look at from Carver are the TFM 35, TFM 45 and if you can find one a TFM 55 or TFM 75. Since they are 20 years old it's pretty advisable to have them serviced. There are a couple really good shops I can suggest. It usually costs around $300 to have them recapped and brought back to spec. Thats's one of the reasons most people don't look at the smaller TFM series and the cube, it's just not worth putting that kind of money into those. They other ones, after service are keepers and should be good for another 20 years or so.

Another Carver line I have and like are the Sunfire amps. They make a 300 WPC x 2 and a 600 x 2. Same deal, see if they've been serviced, if not I would budget getting them serviced. These are wonderful amps and have a great sound. I had the 600 x 2 and I still have my 400 x 5 channel. They also pop up on ebay for sale serviced and ready to go from someone I hang out with on the Craver forum.

Quote Originally Posted by tinpan View Post
    . . . the Craver forum.
    I think we all qualify for that group!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

That is definitely us

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I'm surprised Seawolf hasn't yet sung the praises of the venerable BGW amps.
    Prolly because the ones that I have experience with are really in a different category.

At 52 pounds ....375wpc (8ohm) and 425wpc (4ohm) , it really doesn't fit with the others
    mentioned in this thread and would be overkill for bookshelf speakers.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Must be that under-the-radar Mid-West sound thing!

My neighborhood hi-fi store when I was growing up in St. Louis sold McIntosh and Crown. I even have the report for my original Crown D150 when they tested it at the McIntosh Clinic along with my Mac C20. They kept the C20 overnight to pretty much completely rebuild it to get it to spec and this was back in the late '60s. I recall the first thing they did before running the test on any Mac product was to toss all the tubes and replace them with new ones!

The Crown was the cleanest amp they tested that day, and it beat its own specs including power output.
    Gonna hunt for Crown now!

How much should I shell out for a Crown DC300a or a PS Series??

Thanks!

:-)

Are you on 110v or 220 ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by Stampants View Post
    Gonna hunt for Crown now!
    If you really will be listening at 85dB and you are not in a huge room, I doubt there will be much sonic difference between an in-spec Marantz 2252B and an in-spec Crown DC or PS Series amp.

You'll make a much larger improvement by looking into room treatments or upgrading your source... whatever source you use.

Widget

Personally, I wouldn't look for anything older than the DC300A-II. I still prefer the PS-400 over the DC300A-II. I would think $400 should buy you the nicest PS400 available in the USA. Where you are, who knows what they bring.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    The Marantz is rated 52WPC, right?
    I wouldn't generally recommend anything less than 200WPC for the L112. But in a smaller room less might get the job done. The L112 can handle virtually unlimited power, and the more you feed them the better they sound. Pushing them hard with a smaller amp might not yield good results.
    I agree. The L112 works fairly well with 100 WPC, but starts to shine with 200+ WPC. Adding a sub for low frequency reinforcement can be breathtaking.
    The Music Man's equipment: Sony AM radio

Quote Originally Posted by antoninus9 View Post
    I agree. The L112 works fairly well with 100 WPC, but starts to shine with 200+ WPC. Adding a sub for low frequency reinforcement can be breathtaking.
    Tried The JBL L112s with the Marantz Amp and I quite like the combo! The 2252B is warmer than my Sansuis.

But I cant help wondering about the general consensus in this thread that the JBL 112s shine at the 200watt level.

Would you mind explaining how they "shine" more at the 200watt level.

Wouldnt mind a subjective description to aid my imagination before I test it out for myself.

Tested the preamp section of the Marantz 2252B with a 100watt Quad amp and detected a subtle more "slam" in the kick drums at the 75 to 85db spl level on my android phone with IMM6.

Wondering what a 200watt or up power can give me while using the 2252b as a preamp at the 75 to 85db level.

Content with what I have but my itchy brain wants to scratch this whole 200watt power up thing purely to see if I like it and to bring this wonderful speaker to its full potential.

Thanks for the comments guys. Cant believe that a 35 year old speaker floats my boat! This beats out the BandWs my dad has!

Oh! A speaker tech wants me to replace some caps in the x over to further bring out the speakers.

Can you point me in the right direction if I go this route or is it better to leave it alone?

The tech is saying that a cap and xover overhaul maintenance can bring another dimension to my listening experience.

Staying away from his Mundorf replacement reco though. Too pricey for me.

Thanks again!

Plus... Im thinking of placing the speakers sideways because of WAF is this detrimental?

Currently have it raised up upright about 6inches from the floor.

It has already been mentioned a couple of times that at your listening level and in a medium-to-small room there would probably be little difference. Again, 75wpc has worked just fine for me in a bedroom for over thirty years. Unlike their later pro-version 4412/A, the L112 wasn't designed for horizontal orientation. No reason they won't work but the relationship between the height of the 044 and the listener's ears is always important in mid-field use. If it's an issue for you, you can always try tilting them a bit.

I'd go with what you have and play with position and room issues. I've always found on the better JBLs that attempts at improving the performance through substitution of non-stock components does not generally create improvement. If you're messing with crossover caps and trying to save money, you might want to modify one without removing your ability to return it to stock, and then compare it to the stock system and let your ears tell you if it was money well spent—or perhaps even a step backwards. Remember, too, that your ears are funny instruments and so is your brain. You might wish for any improvement enough to find one that doesn't exist. And listening to one voicing over time may color your ability to make an objective observation in any A—B comparison. Give your ears time to adjust before you switch sound sources.

Of course all this is just my opinion and I'm basically a Luddite, don't own any L100s that might benefit from Internet pros who seek to change their voice, and love most of my dozen-or-so JBLs for what they are and actually revel in their differences. (No Harman-brand pun intended . . . well, maybe!)

Thread Information