Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Marantz 2252B for JBL L112

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    It has already been mentioned a couple of times that at your listening level and in a medium-to-small room there would probably be little difference. Again, 75wpc has worked just fine for me in a bedroom for over thirty years. Unlike their later pro-version 4412/A, the L112 wasn't designed for horizontal orientation. No reason they won't work but the relationship between the height of the 044 and the listener's ears is always important in mid-field use. If it's an issue for you, you can always try tilting them a bit.

I'd go with what you have and play with position and room issues. I've always found on the better JBLs that attempts at improving the performance through substitution of non-stock components does not generally create improvement. If you're messing with crossover caps and trying to save money, you might want to modify one without removing your ability to return it to stock, and then compare it to the stock system and let your ears tell you if it was money well spent—or perhaps even a step backwards. Remember, too, that your ears are funny instruments and so is your brain. You might wish for any improvement enough to find one that doesn't exist. And listening to one voicing over time may color your ability to make an objective observation in any A—B comparison. Give your ears time to adjust before you switch sound sources.

Of course all this is just my opinion and I'm basically a Luddite, don't own any L100s that might benefit from Internet pros who seek to change their voice, and love most of my dozen-or-so JBLs for what they are and actually revel in their differences. (No Harman-brand pun intended . . . well, maybe!)
    Thanks for the honest reply!

What can I say, just typed excitedly upon hooking up my Marantz and getting a really nice sound triggered my mind into thinking up possibilities to further decimate my wallet.

Was just responding to some of the posters who seem to think that they'll bloom at 200wpc.

Again gear lust might have overridden common sense as vintage gear hunting seems to be an addictive hobby!

About the sideways thing, I actually tried it awhile ago and the image seemed disjointed so I wont be barking up that tree anymore.

As for the cap upgrade I might not have been very clear about what the local tech wanted to do, which is to basically just replace the existing caps value for value and to clean the pots.

In short he wants to bring the crossover back to spec, but IF I WANTED he can also do a complete upgrade with the MUNDORF caps.

So do you guys think I should do a recap or just leave it be?

*edit* Did a little searching and am currently reading through this thread which is helpful
    ( http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...over-Confusion )

Again thanks for indulging me!

The owners manual does show a horizontal placement option.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/284...?page=4#manual

Quote Originally Posted by dezmond View Post
    The owners manual does show a horizontal placement option.
    The noted "if necessary" does not seem like a strong recommendation!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    The noted "if necessary" does not seem like a strong recommendation!
    Tried it but had better sound gains by raising it up using stools in the upright position!

Thread Information