Thread: SVA1800 woofer removal for refoam

SVA1800 woofer removal for refoam

Has anyone been able to remove the woofers without taking the horns out? I remember TiDome having to remove the tweeters but I would like to not remove these as the 3M stick-on covers are NLA and the ones I have installed were done so last year. If I have to so be it but I figured I would ask the group first.
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

Quote Originally Posted by bigyank View Post
    Has anyone been able to remove the woofers without taking the horns out? I remember TiDome having to remove the tweeters but I would like to not remove these as the 3M stick-on covers are NLA and the ones I have installed were done so last year. If I have to so be it but I figured I would ask the group first.
    Simply unscrew the four hex head mounting screws and pry them loose them with a putty knife.

Thought it had to be harder than that.
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

Thought it had to be harder than that.
    The gasket is made of foam, which we all know turns into sticky goo with time (isn't that why you need to remove them in the first place?) so the need a little careful coaxing, that's all. I just refoamed a pair and for what you can snag a pair for these days (almost nothing) they provide lots of enjoyment. I know they would sound better rolled off at 50 Hz into some nice subs and with a little EQ to tame the aggressive mids and sibilant highs, but that's part of where the fun comes from, so I'll probably just leave them alone for now.

Thought I read here, and it might have been Titanium Dome, that the woofers are glued in. My surrounds have just started to turn slightly tacky and since I have newer tweeters in them (purchased these speakers years ago from AudioClassics), definitely want to not tear them up. If I have to remove the 3M glued vinyl looking trim pieces from the horns, that's okay. When I got the replacement tweeters I had AudioClassics provide the replacement trim and it wasn't until I sold these speakers to a close friend the got installed. His wife never liked them so I got them back for free!

I usually source my surrounds from Rick Cobb but I checked and he didn't seem to have them listed specifically on his eBay store. Simplyspeakers has them listed as generic 8" replacements and I have always been hesitant with generic as they usually don't take into account whether or not the inner surround requires a certain angle, etc.

So if you have a better source for surrounds please post it here.

Thought I read here, and it might have been Titanium Dome, that the woofers are glued in. My surrounds have just started to turn slightly tacky and since I have newer tweeters in them (purchased these speakers years ago from AudioClassics), definitely want to not tear them up. If I have to remove the 3M glued vinyl looking trim pieces from the horns, that's okay. When I got the replacement tweeters I had AudioClassics provide the replacement trim and it wasn't until I sold these speakers to a close friend the got installed. His wife never liked them so I got them back for free!

I usually source my surrounds from Rick Cobb but I checked and he didn't seem to have them listed specifically on his eBay store. Simplyspeakers has them listed as generic 8" replacements and I have always been hesitant with generic as they usually don't take into account whether or not the inner surround requires a certain angle, etc.

So if you have a better source for surrounds please post it here.
    The woofers are NOT glued in, the gaskets just get sticky over time. This is the second pair I've worked on. I get my foams (via an ex-Harman employee) from a company that doesn't sell to the public, and has very strict territorial exclusives and only a handful of techs they deal with. It took him years to get access and he's a good friend of mine so I'm going to have to leave it at that, but their catalog covers virtually every speaker ever manufactured. MAT Electronics has very affordable foams that will probably work just fine for with a little trimming.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    The woofers are NOT glued in, the gaskets just get sticky over time. This is the second pair I've worked on. I get my foams (via an ex-Harman employee) from a company that doesn't sell to the public, and has very strict territorial exclusives and only a handful of techs they deal with. It took him years to get access and he's a good friend of mine so I'm going to have to leave it at that, but their catalog covers virtually every speaker ever manufactured. MAT Electronics has very affordable foams that will probably work just fine for with a little trimming.
    MAT Electronics is local to me, always forget about them thanks! I did contact Rick and got dimensions of the one he thinks should work so I'll work on that this weekend.

MAT Electronics is local to me, always forget about them thanks! I did contact Rick and got dimensions of the one he thinks should work so I'll work on that this weekend.
    Are you using the 2226 in your sig with the SVA 1800's as a sub? Just curious. They do need a sub IMO.

Yes that is the plan. I have two 2226H's each in their own 6.5 cu ft enclosure.

My signature is out of date though. Currently I have a pair of homemade Vifa 2-ways with the 2226's but miss the SVA-1800's. Will be driving both with their own Crown amplifiers for 680 watt/ch. My kids holler at me to turn it down!

Yes that is the plan. I have two 2226H's each in their own 6.5 cu ft enclosure.

My signature is out of date though. Currently I have a pair of homemade Vifa 2-ways with the 2226's but miss the SVA-1800's. Will be driving both with their own Crown amplifiers for 680 watt/ch. My kids holler at me to turn it down!
    Same here! These kids today [shakes head]. I've got a paltry 225 a side (BGW 620B) driving my 1800s, but it's still enough to draw the ire of my sixteen year old daughter when I crank it.Name:  1441439665215125196018.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  59.4 KB

Nice. Here is a terrible shot of my man cave.

The 2226H's are actually GordonW customs in the 6.5 cu ft enclosure.

Nice. Here is a terrible shot of my man cave.

The 2226H's are actually GordonW customs in the 6.5 cu ft enclosure.
    Good grief those sub cabs dwarf the 1800's, which most people consider a large speaker. Where/how do you cross them over into the 1800's? That system must have some serious slam! I bet it's gobs of fun to listen to.

Mix it up with the crossover. Currently I am using an Audio Control Richter Scale III with a Soundcraftsmen preamp crossover at 150 Hz 24db/octave. Have the Behringer CX-3400 in the pic which I might go back to as it's variable as a 2-way. The Audio Control is fun in that it has an analyzer function (I even have the mic) that uses a warble tone which I set to 31.5 Hz and crank up the woofers.

Thread Information