Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New format

Click "User CP" above and then "Edit Profile". You should then see a box to enter your "user title" and you can make this whatever you want.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Thank you!

I see it and now know how to do what I want, and when i finalize my choice, ill change it!

Now heres a new question. I happen to check whos online, and like always I see Guests! But now I see Guests and Google spiders too! WHAT is a google spider? Do we need an exterminator. We have bugs already?

scottyj

We've had these bugs for years. Spiders are automated programs that crawl through the Internet and index every site that they see. They provide the basic information that is the core of seach engines. If it wasn't for them, our site would never show up on Google, Yahoo, MSN etc. All of the major search companies run their own spiders and the one you saw just happend to be from Google. This new version of vBulletin can identify if a guest is actually one of these remote programs from the address that they connect from and displays the result.

Some poorly behaved spiders can tie up an entire site with multiple connections. If you look at the statistics at the bottom of the main page it states that the most users we ever had at one time was 56 on August 3, 2003. I actually remember that day well. This record was actually established by Yahoo's spider that latched onto our site with as many as 50 connections and never let go for nearly a week. I had to contact Yahoo to get them to disconnect since they were eating up all of our bandwidth. Since then, the spiders seem fairly well behaved and don't use up that many resources.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

One thing I find interesting from the above is how current Google is on our site. The Project May blog has only been up for a week or so, and already Google has indexed it.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Well!

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie
    One thing I find interesting from the above is how current Google is on our site. The Project May blog has only been up for a week or so, and already Google has indexed it.
    I guess this means bputnam jbl is now famous!

Every link G has posted comes up with bputnam jbl!

Bo should ask Harman for a salary. And so should Widget JBL, too!
    scottyj

Don,

They will index the test site too if we are not careful. Do you want a robots.txt file in there to prevent it?

John
    John Nebel

Good point. I would appreciate a robots.txt file on the test site.

Thanks
    Don

Maron Horonzakz

Thumbs down

What am I doing wrong I have to log in each day I get on this New Forum.. Some thing automaticly Logs me out....

I have experienced this myself and I think it has to do with a conflict with the cookie issued by the old forum not being recognized by the new forum. I found that the following solved this probem in Windows Explorer.

First, close every instance of Explorer and expose the desktop. Next, right-click the Explorer icon on the desktop, chose "Properties" and click the "Delete Cookies" button.

This next step may not be necessary but cannot hurt. In the same "Properties" dialog box, click the "Privacy" tab along the top and the "Edit" button at the bottom right. In the box labelled "Address or Website" type in http://www.audioheritage.org and then the "Allow" button. After closing the "Properties" dialog box, open an Explorer window, go to our forum, fill in the log-in boxes and ensure that the "remember me" box is checked.

After I did this I have had no problems with log-offs.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Thread Information