Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New format

New format

Sorry, Don. Don't like new format. Too much wasted space. Narrow up the User CP, FAQ, etc bar and place it between the logo and the donate button. When looking at messages, move the member info back to the left side. People with avatars take over 1" of screen height now and most of it is grey wasted space. Good thing I have a wheel mouse. There is alot more vertical scrolling. 99.44% of PC screens have more width that height. My viewable screen space is 12" vertical inches by 15" of width. My screen is 1280 x 1024 pixels. I run IE with a single tool bar. Many people have 2 or 3. The new format has the first viewable message 4.5" down on my screen. I would hate to see how much was visible on an 800 x 600 screen. A good portion of the messages have enough text so that, in the old format, the text area was just as tall as the member data with an avatar.

Squeeze it up. We are hear to exchange mainly text info. The site should make that as efficient as possible. To aid this, I have removed my avatar.
    had L25,L36,L40,L120,L300,AquariusIV(2),S1,4408 have L65,L100,L222,DorianS12,B380

Tom Loizeaux
    Don, This new format is a mess! It doesn't load in to my computer (Mac G4/ OS9) and gives me large black areas that don't respond. The Private Messages section has the same problems.
    BTW, the "old" setup worked very well! Do we need to chage for the sake of change?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Loizeaux
    Don, This new format is a mess! It doesn't load in to my computer (Mac G4/ OS9) and gives me large black areas that don't respond. The Private Messages section has the same problems.
    BTW, the "old" setup worked very well! Do we need to chage for the sake of change?

Tom
    It's not done for the sake of change. This version has been out for a year and I held off upgrading for that long. The old version is no longer supported and it has been found to have security issues. Regarding loading problems, what browser are you using and can you post a screen shot to illustrate what you are talking about?
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Hello Don

The Search function doesn't seem to be working, checkout Bo's post. Seems this stuff is never painless.

Rob

The search index is blown away as part of the upgrade process. I am manually rebuilding the index now. It is currently up to 6000 of the 30000 posts on this site and will likely take another couple of hours to complete.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie
    I've researched it and there is no option to move the user info back to the side. It's a core design element coded into the interface.
    Maybe you could drop a note to the interface designers. I can't believe this couldn't be changed - it's such an obvious distraction that I'd think any site using it would have commented first thing! There's just a *ton* of unused space across the top this way, and nothing to do with it??? I find it hard to believe the designers felt this was the only way to do it...

John

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald
    Sorry, Don. Don't like new format.
    Ditto.
    It blows goats.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Ditto.
    It blows goats.
    Dammit, Giskard!!

Actually, you've made that one of my favorite retorts!

-------------

FWIW, IIRC, John Nebel was hoping for this upgrade for over a year. There are serious "issues" with the older version that cause plenty headaches and such (I will not venture into a realm filled with 'gators ready to eat me...) for the Host(s). I'm outa the loop, but recall it was delayed in deference to Don's wishes. Let's give it a whirl - there are smart guys at the helm...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

lfh
    I've researched it and there is no option to move the user info back to the side. It's a core design element coded into the interface.
    Don, I might be completely off base here, but a Mac forum I visit from time to time also runs vBulletin 3.0.3, and there the member info still is at the left side, see http://99mac.se/forum/index.php? AFAIK they have done extensive hacking of their system to get the look and feel they wanted, and they might be willing to share code and info. Just let me know if you want me to ask them about this.

Fredrik

Arghhh

I dont like this setup! I just dont, its hard on the eyes, and weird to use!

I know your trying to give us better Don, but...........

Thumbs down

It's not done for the sake of change. This version has been out for a year and I held off upgrading for that long. The old version is no longer supported and it has been found to have security issues.
    I frequently do get the feeling that there are too many frustrated graphic designers with too much time on their hands out there. I understand that there can be valid improvements, but for the most part there is no need to make the changes so visibly obvious. It does feel gratuitous, and in this case it does waste a hell of a lot of space.

Sure we are a bunch of pre computer generation stick in the muds that hate change so much we listen to speakers built 30-50 years ago, but that doesn't mean that we are wrong in our dislike of this "upgrade".

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    Hello Don

The Search function doesn't seem to be working, checkout Bo's post. Seems this stuff is never painless.

Rob
    The search function is now working and on that note I am going to bed after working on this all through the night. In the interim, I would appreciate if you would take a breather from the aesthetic and design issues of the new forum. My priority right now is to ensure that we have a functioning forum and would appreciate if the focus was kept on actual bugs for the time being. There is plenty of time to address design issues once things settle down.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

RIP 2009
    Fantasitc, Don! I see you found a way to have signatures down the left side again - kool!

Everything's fine by me now...

John

Umm

Im getting used to this new board!
    scottyj

The search function is now working and on that note I am going to bed after working on this all through the night. In the interim, I would appreciate if you would take a breather from the aesthetic and design issues of the new forum. My priority right now is to ensure that we have a functioning forum and would appreciate if the focus was kept on actual bugs for the time being. There is plenty of time to address design issues once things settle down.
    Don,

Many thanks for your hard work. People as a rule don't like change. I for one see many benefits in the new structure.

We should also remember John Nebels contribution. Without John we would have nothing.

Ian

Thread Information