Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4320 Build thread - Tinpan

Fast work, too!

It was my pleasure to play a part in the project. Even if it was only because of my hoarding tendency!

I don't feel like I've thinned my herd at all since I never had the opportunity to take this project where I'd intended after something like eight years. I'm glad to see them put back into service and it is always fun to meet another LH member.

You may have inspired me to move some of my other speaker projects along!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Ah yes, and I would really like to thank you two for hooking me up with these cabinets and all the drivers. It will be fun to see where I can go with these.

Comparisons to Altec and other stuff, I certainly will. So far the initial impression is whoa...that's a good whoaaa..

I buddy of mine ranked who builds my amps ranks the following speaker company;s like this:

1) JBL
    2) Altec
    3) Electrovoice
    4) Klipsch

He has a pair of Altec A5's and got a pair of 4320's a year ago based on another buddy who also has a pair. He has been bugging me to pick up a pair of 4320's to try. I pretty much agree with his assessment, though I also like Lowther and that comes at him from left field. These rule on 300b tubes

As far as most accurate sound, I would have to say my Altecs probably own that spot right now. The Lowthers, well they too are very accurate and while I will say the Altecs are more detailed, the Lowthers are more warm...almost huggingly so. These also rule on 300b's

The only EV's i have are a pair of bass bins. They are a pair of Sentry IV's which are dual 12 inch drivers in a bass reflex cabinet.

Klipsch, well, they have their place, though a lot of people look down their nose at them. The ones I have tried didn't sound good on SET tubes, they seem to prefer push pull tubes like EL84's and KT 88's

So far I have a way to go with these 4320's but I love the sound of the 4320 horn....man it is nice. It has a really pleasing sound to it and nice details. I also like the 2215's which have a really nice mid bass sound, which I really like. I don't run subs on my tube systems. I've only tried the one speaker so far which has a hole in the bass driver and needs new surrounds, but it actually sounds very nice. I can't wait to find another 2307 horn or H91 horn so I can hook them both up and try them on a 300b setup.

I also must admit to drooling over the 4350's the Kenrick sound has on their website...uhmnnn 4331's look pretty good too...and uhmm...4343's...I digress

The good news:

My H91 horn came in today and I now have a working pair of JBL 4320's wooohoooo..... Very cool. Initial sound is actually pretty good. The thing I like about this is I was able to re-unite the original drivers with the cabinets. The cabs are actually in pretty good condition, the veneer is chipped in a few places but structure wise it's in pretty good shape. After I get done playing with them a little bit I'll take em apart and use proper wire to install the drivers again. I am definitely going to see about refinishing the cabinets too.

the bad news:

My son clearly has other plans

Anyway, these have real potential

Thread Information