Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JBL110s

JBL110s

Good Morning Lansing Folks,

I am new to the community, but have made a mutual friend via Audio Karma. I recently acquired a set of JBL L-110's that needed a little work. With the help of a few members, I was able to find a lot of great information, and bring them back to life. This is my 1st set of JBL's, and it has been a long time waiting. I had a friend many years ago with a set of the L96's and at the time, I thought they were one of the best sets I have ever listened to. I was hooked as a JBL fan since that day, but finding vintage JBL equipment in the area where I grew up, is next to impossible. I moved to the bay area back in 2002, and have been watching CL for about 10-12 years for a set in good cond., that would be worth the restore. I ended up giving up on actively looking, I figured that one day it would happen, and if not.. Well that's life. I picked up a set of the LVT ear University speakers by Altec from thy late 60's, and decided that the only way I would get JBL sound and quality, would be to actually buy JBL. For the past 6 months, I have been looking for a set of the L-96's, and actually found a set on CL for barter. The downside, the guy who had them, wanted to barter for a SX1250 that I have, I did not feel it was a good trade..

To make a long story longer, I came across a CL post for some "HQ home Audio Gear" The image that they had posted was a pic of a baby advent... Not really high quality to me... After digging a little deeper, I noticed in the background of his pix, a single JBL. I emailed him immediately asking him if they were spoken for. He responded rather quickly, and stated that not one person had asked about the JBL's, and that he was asking $100.00. He said his brother had a recording studio in his garage, and had recently passed. He said that they sold the house, and needed to get rid of the equipment. He then stated that they would be having an estate sale, and they would be available. I asked him if he would mind holding them for me, and that I was not looking to purchase them and resale them, but was going to re-foam them, and restore the cabinets. I told him that I would be using them for personal use, and would be willing to pay more if he held them for me. His response... "You asked 1st, they are yours for $100.00”!

The catch: It was a good 60 mile drive for me, and I needed to pick them up at 07:45 hours. It was well worth the drive, they were in great cond., a little dusty and dirty. I replaced the foam, and they sound spectacular. I will own them till the day I die, by far the best set of speakers I have ever owned. I posted this link to show Jerry, the gentleman I purchased them from, the restoration process, and the new home they now belong in.

Also, Id like to thank (Larry) User Name: Irb1951 for all the great information on the re-foam job on the LH111's great information!

Nice to be a part of the Lansing community now!

Thanks all,
    - John -

Name:  Clean Cone.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  60.4 KBName:  Cleaning.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  88.5 KBName:  Finished.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  94.3 KBName:  Left driver.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  212.1 KBName:  Right Driver.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  194.2 KB

Good find and welcome to the Forum

Welcome, welcome!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Greetings, John,

Welcome to LH, and well done on finding a lovely pair of L110's!! Also, well done on the refoaming. Those speakers are well thought of, and if memory serves, JBL did a great job on the design, with special attention to the crossover match to the drivers! I'm happy for you, that you found them, and happy for the seller, who needed to move them to a new home!! Well done on all counts! Take care, congrats on getting a fine set of JBL's, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (who also waited, almost 40 years, to get his own JBL dream speaker!! It was worth the wait!!)
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

I run a recurring "WTB" ad on CL. This last summer got an email "I've got some 110's , you interested" ?

I don't lowball anybody and let them set a starting point. Seller says "they belonged to Dad. he bought them new, put on a shelf and never moved them" ,,,"come on over and we'll discuss price"

He was only about 5 miles away, so I rolled out his way. They were pristine, needing only new foams. He had them set up and playing. We talked and turns out he is a Vet too.

so I said OK, price ?

"Could you do $75"
    ? yup. He even loaded them in my truck as my back was sore.

I tried my standard 10 incher foams, but they don't fit right , the 8's don't either. Gonna have to break down and buy some Cobb surrounds and refoam this winter , but have no available slots to stick them in (all filled by bigger speakers)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Good Morning All, Thank you for the welcome, and for the kind words. The more I listen to them, the more I fall in love with them. They have such a smooth sound, and the lows are really defined. I do need to have a set of stand built, I recently had a components rack built for my receiver. I am running a SX-1250, and needed a rack that would fit the size of the unit. The gentleman that built it for me was a professional stereo cabinet, and speaker cabinet builder. He dose great work, and he has an incredible stash of rare wood. The rack I had built is solid Clear American Mahogany, it has 2 shelves for Vinyl, and a display table top for my Turntable. I have been in the process of staining in for a few weeks now. My time is a little limited due to working nights, and attending classes in the mornings. I requested that when the rack was completed, it be left unfinished, I enjoy the finishing steps of wood work. I would have built the rack myself, but I am limited on space, and would have had to build it in my living room... Living inner city really has is drawback sometimes. The rack was my design, and I should have it finished in the next few weeks. I applied a coat of dark stain to darken the accents, let dry for a few days, than sanded it down with an 80 grit up to 400 grit. I have most of the sanding work done, next will be a conditioner, than a Danish oil. I will have to track down Tom for some matching stands. I'm sure I’ll end up paying out the window, but if they match, it will be worth the investment. Below is a link to my Audio Karma thread, outlines my SX 1250 find for $40.00 bucks, and also the rack build, and the progress I’ve made so far, or the lack thereof. It will be finished within the next week or so.. I've already started clearing the space for it. Link:http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=610654Now that I have finally found a set of JBL's, I need to get my hands on a nice set of bookshelves. I know it’s hard to find any of the JBL bookshelves in the Vintage era, so maybe I’ll track down a set of Jennings, they seem to match the walnut, and are pretty good quality. Anyone have a good suggestion on some bookshelves that would pair nicely with the L110's? Again, thank you for the posts, I really look forward becoming an active member. The more information the better! Oh, and have a happy and safe Halloween.Something was going on with the formatting of the text. The text was merging together. Had to edit the post, if this is reading in one huge paragraph, my apologies.

yes, the version of vBulletin (the forum software) they use here is broken somehow when you re-edit your posts ...
    doesn't happen on AK or the TivoCommunity forum (they both use the same software).
    That big blob of text thing drives us crazy but maybe it will be fixed with the next software upgrade.

We know its not your fault, sounds like a fun project, and thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Jobrewer1983 View Post
    ... Something was going on with the formatting of the text.
    The text was merging together. Had to edit the post, if this is reading in one huge paragraph, my apologies.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    I run a recurring "WTB" ad on CL. This last summer got an email "I've got some 110's , you interested" ?I don't lowball anybody and let them set a starting point. Seller says "they belonged to Dad. he bought them new, put on a shelf and never moved them" ,,,"come on over and we'll discuss price"He was only about 5 miles away, so I rolled out his way. They were pristine, needing only new foams. He had them set up and playing. We talked and turns out he is a Vet too.so I said OK, price ?"Could you do $75" ? yup. He even loaded them in my truck as my back was sore.I tried my standard 10 incher foams, but they don't fit right , the 8's don't either. Gonna have to break down and buy some Cobb surrounds and refoam this winter , but have no available slots to stick them in (all filled by bigger speakers)
    Good Morning SEAWOLF97, That LH111 have a 9" cone, kind of an odd size, but unique. One tip, if I may... Be sure to get adhesive tips, for the adhesive you use. The LH111s have limited travel on the cone, and the basket lip is very narrow. I ended up getting a little glue on the lip of the cone, but this is due to not having a tip to the adhesive. I will most likely re-foam them again in a year or so, I do want the perfect look, but i can live with it for now. Also the inner foam lip will flex as soon as you drop the slightest amount of glue on it, they are very thin surrounds. If you are able to look me up on AK, I have the same user name, take a look at the CV's I knocked out a few weeks back. The JBLs were not my best work, sadly to say. I was impatient, and decided to try them without a fine tip. I did ok, but as you can see, I got a little glue on the foam and the lip of the woofer. Either way, well worth the time to restore, looking forward to seeing them complete. The woofers require a little more attention to detail

Good Morning SEAWOLF97, That LH111 have a 9" cone, kind of an odd size, but unique. One tip, if I may...
    welcome to the forum, looks like you'll fit in well.

I can't even remember how many refoams I've done. Was doing so many that we took a trip to Asia , went to the distributor and filled my suitcases with rings. I have sold much of the overstock on CL, and made some nice friends in the process.

The 110's will get done this winter on some day that I'm stuck in the house (I ride bikes at every possible chance). With 20 active speakers in the house (plus in storage) , the only possible slot to play them is where the current favorite small speakers are. They are 120Ti's and will be are hard target to beat.

2 Xmas's ago I sold off 32 pairs of various speakers to a Vietnamese couple who shipped them to Saigon, so probably down to under 20 pairs left here. Once you learn the refoaming process, you start seeing candidates everywhere. CL, garage sales, thrifts etc.

Owners will sell at giveaway prices because their speakers are "blown". ha.

I rarely have to purchase foams that are outside of whats still in my inventory. Did have to for the 14's on a pair of 250Ti's, and looks like the 110's too.

You were right to hold on to that SX-1250. It's a keeper. I've gone through many,many receivers until I went to separates. They just could not provide the power that my BGW 750D does (450wpc into 4 ohm, 375 into 8) ..that much really awakened the 250Ti's although I bought it to run my OHM Walsh F's (which are very low impedance).

I kinda make a game out of affordable audio (see http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...Speaker-Safari ). We may be in the sweet spot for that classic gear right now.

Nice grab. I got my pair for $15 at the local thrift , but the woofers were replaced with Dayton . I just yesterday received the original woofers from ebay. They sound very nice , much better then the dayton woofer. I am running them off a parasound hca1000 for now.

welcome to the forum, looks like you'll fit in well.

I can't even remember how many refoams I've done. Was doing so many that we took a trip to Asia , went to the distributor and filled my suitcases with rings. I have sold much of the overstock on CL, and made some nice friends in the process.

The 110's will get done this winter on some day that I'm stuck in the house (I ride bikes at every possible chance). With 20 active speakers in the house (plus in storage) , the only possible slot to play them is where the current favorite small speakers are. They are 120Ti's and will be are hard target to beat.

2 Xmas's ago I sold off 32 pairs of various speakers to a Vietnamese couple who shipped them to Saigon, so probably down to under 20 pairs left here. Once you learn the refoaming process, you start seeing candidates everywhere. CL, garage sales, thrifts etc.

Owners will sell at giveaway prices because their speakers are "blown". ha.

I rarely have to purchase foams that are outside of whats still in my inventory. Did have to for the 14's on a pair of 250Ti's, and looks like the 110's too.

You were right to hold on to that SX-1250. It's a keeper. I've gone through many,many receivers until I went to separates. They just could not provide the power that my BGW 750D does (450wpc into 4 ohm, 375 into 8) ..that much really awakened the 250Ti's although I bought it to run my OHM Walsh F's (which are very low impedance).

I kinda make a game out of affordable audio (see http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...Speaker-Safari ). We may be in the sweet spot for that classic gear right now.

Good Morning SEAWOLF97,

Thank you for the post, and the link. I'd love to have an inventory like that. I recently gave away a set of Klipsch KG2s, KG4's, sold a set of Cerwin Vega VS100s, and probably gave away 5 or 6 sets of some Realistic's, Nova 7B's and some Minimus 11's and 7's. All due to the lack of space.

I am really hesitant to purchase anything that I know I am unable to bring back to new. F
    ortunately for me I have a lot of friends who collect vintage gear. My SX-1250 was a $40.00 investment. I have a friend who works for an electronics recycling facility. They don't take in personal drop off's, only from local companies, as there is a charge for their service. Every now and than, some knuckle head will leave a load of junk on their loading docs late at night, to be rid of it. Apparently someone dropped a load of vintage equipment off, and a 1250 was in the pile. Usually the load would be either thrown out, or taken to the Good Will. My friend knows I collect vintage Pioneer, and snagged it for me. He wanted to give it to me for free. I explained to him that he could make a good return if he were to flip it. He said he just wanted it out of his office, and was holding it for me. I told him I would pay him, he asked what I had in my pocket. I had $40 bucks on me.. He said take it. If you look me up on AK, you can follow the thread, it outlines my find, and rack build. Basically I've spent $150.00 total on this set up, rack included. That's right, I basically paid $10 bucks for the rack, I traded a NOS Pioneer SX-650 for the rack. The JBL's were my most expensive purchase on this system. Mind you, this has been close to 8 years of looking.

You mentioned bike riding... Nice, I was up to 300 miles a week, but have slowed down in the past few weeks. I am going for a ride this morning (Alum Rock Park). I assume you are talking about bicycles, and not motorcycle's? I am currently down to one bike for me, and one for my girl. I road ABA as a child, and teen. I was big into BMX, and grew up in the high desert area of California. I have since moved to the road. I do enjoy a good mountain ride, but living inner city dose not really allow it that often. I recently built a Trek 2021 Carbon for my girl. NOS frame, full 105 set up, with Mavic Ma40's and Phil Wood hubs. Ill have to send you some pictures. I am riding a Cannondale R400, with Bontragar Race Light wheels, and a lot of upgrades. I have restored it to new. I have had many bikes along the way, Specialized, Cannondale, Trek, Schwinn, you name it.. Sold a Cad 9 a while back.. Like stereos, I prefer the vintage gear.

I hope the post is not one big paragraph again, if so, sorry, its not my intention. Ok, I better get back to work...

Quote Originally Posted by dezmond View Post
    Nice grab. I got my pair for $15 at the local thrift , but the woofers were replaced with Dayton . I just yesterday received the original woofers from ebay. They sound very nice , much better then the dayton woofer. I am running them off a parasound hca1000 for now.

Nice, I love the thrift store finds. I found a set of MK Bookshelves yesterday for eight bucks at a local savers, while on vinyl patrol. My girl talked me out of purchasing them, but would have been a good find.

There is also a set of BW Matrix 3's at a local thrift store, apparently I don't need them either... LOL Im not a BW fan at all, so im willing to pass them up, and they are the black vinyl veneer, not my style. Good for resale.

Nice score, the L110s are my best speakers so far, but found a set of 112s on CL for $700. I've emailed him already. The condition is not that great, and would require some work. Ill let it simmer, I highly doubt anyone will pay that on CL, for the cond., they are in.

Thanks for the Post!

Good Morning SEAWOLF97,

You mentioned bike riding... Nice, I was up to 300 miles a week, but have slowed down in the past few weeks. I am going for a ride this morning (Alum Rock Park). I assume you are talking about bicycles, and not motorcycle's?

I'm currently at 5 bicycles , 2 long frame Tourers, a Trek commuter, a Fuji MB and a Guerciotti ALAN framed project.

here's the continuing blog. ==>> http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...-Bicycle-stats

I'm slowing down (at 65) and will only break 2k miles this year. Fortunately, here in Portland there are at least 13 places that sell used records within my riding radius. Thrifting is the local past time here (Appalachia West) and I've bungied some amazing finds to my racks.

It's not like I HAVE to bike (do own a nice truck & BMW) , but I prefer it. Many destinations are within 3 miles and so I ride nearly 365 and actually like riding in PDX rain.

We had friends who lived over on Tulley in SJ (by Raging Waters) and stop in there when in the area. Great flea market in SJ too.

Grew up in Santa Barbara and school in Monterey ...so I know that area well.

I'm currently at 5 bicycles , 2 long frame Tourers, a Trek commuter, a Fuji MB and a Guerciotti ALAN framed project.

here's the continuing blog. ==>> http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...-Bicycle-stats

I'm slowing down (at 65) and will only break 2k miles this year. Fortunately, here in Portland there are at least 13 places that sell used records within my riding radius. Thrifting is the local past time here (Appalachia West) and I've bungied some amazing finds to my racks.

It's not like I HAVE to bike (do own a nice truck & BMW) , but I prefer it. Many destinations are within 3 miles and so I ride nearly 365 and actually like riding in PDX rain.

We had friends who lived over on Tulley in SJ (by Raging Waters) and stop in there when in the area. Great flea market in SJ too.

Grew up in Santa Barbara and school in Monterey ...so I know that area well.

Good Morning Seawolf97,

I have a few friends living in Portland, and Organ City. I was out that way back in 07, one of my college roommates was getting married. I remember it to be cold and wet the whole time. I absolutely loved it. Lots of good riding places, nice area for morning rides. Im with you, while I have a truck, and a nice car, I tend to take the bike due to being able to beat traffic. Mind you I do enjoy throwing the bike in the truck, and taking a drive to Sunol. Most of the time my rides consist of me walking out my front door and just going.

You are a native to the area, I was in Monterey a few weekends back. I’ve done many a rides in Santa Barba, nice area. My girlfriend is an avid shopper, they have nice out door shopping, and a few good restaurants as well. Many nice bed & breakfast spots, it’s one of our weekend getaways.

I’ve lived in the Bay going on 12 years now, and I recently found out that they hold a secret flea market on the 2nd Saturday of each month. They hold it at the DeAnza College, the good thing is they only sale vintage audio gear. It runs from June-November. I think they are extending it till December, but I have yet had the opportunity to check it out.

If you are ever in the Bay, and it’s the 2nd Saturday of the month, heads up! Nice to find someone with same passion for riding.

That LH111 have a 9" cone, kind of an odd size, but unique.
    Very interesting. The 12" 128H / 128H-1 woofers found on speakers like the L150, L112, 4411, 4412, etc have cones that are either 9 3/8" or 9 5/8". Apparently the "10 inch" woofer in the L110 isn't as far off in size as one might assume...

Thread Information