Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tubes VS solid state for my JBL 4520 ?

Tubes VS solid state for my JBL 4520 ?

hello! Its time for a new power amp for my system! For years i use a Soundvalves vta 70 power tube amp! 2x35 watts with lovely sound ! The question is tubes or solid state?

I love vintage power amps... Phase linears, Ampzilla's, SAE, etc but i really scare of them... Many of all these old beast dont have dc protection and i really dont want to loose any of my speakers or drivers. I also love the tube sound!! its warm with the details i want... They said that sold state got more detail but im scared that with solid state my horns will become harsh and with tiresome sound.

i have found a pair of monoblocks Klimo kent amps for the same price with a pair of ampzilla power amp and GAS Phaedra preamp so i really think what to choose!!!

here are some photos of my system

Name:  IMG_9714_zps87be5ea4.jpg
Views: 1796
Size:  46.2 KB Name:  IMG_9721_zps5a8c704d.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  47.4 KBName:  IMG_9723_zps14e8720b.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  57.6 KBName:  IMG_8615_zps15873038.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  58.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Most tube amps have perfect DC protection. It is called the output transformer.

Allan

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by retro soulman View Post
    hello! Its time for a new power amp for my system! For years i use a Soundvalves vta 70 power tube amp! 2x35 watts with lovely sound ! The question is tubes or solid state?

I love vintage power amps... Phase linears, Ampzilla's, SAE, etc but i really scare of them... Many of all these old beast dont have dc protection and i really dont want to loose any of my speakers or drivers. I also love the tube sound!! its warm with the details i want... They said that sold state got more detail but im scared that with solid state my horns will become harsh and with tiresome sound.

i have found a pair of monoblocks Klimo kent amps for the same price with a pair of ampzilla power amp and GAS Phaedra preamp so i really think what to choose!!!

here are some photos of my system

Name:  IMG_9714_zps87be5ea4.jpg
Views: 1796
Size:  46.2 KB Name:  IMG_9721_zps5a8c704d.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  47.4 KBName:  IMG_9723_zps14e8720b.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  57.6 KBName:  IMG_8615_zps15873038.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  58.2 KB
    My Greek friend, vacuum tubes is always the way to go! Vacuum tubes and horn systems are a match made in heaven. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

H.F.

Quote Originally Posted by Horn Fanatic View Post
    My Greek friend, vacuum tubes is always the way to go! Vacuum tubes and horn systems are a match made in heaven. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

H.F.

that was my thought also )

H.F.
    horn fanatic nailed it tube is king with horns. I use Mcintosh tube with my horn system matched with a quality beer and its drool time

Retrospect ..Tubes

The Transistor had its orig. in-line/phone/ amps to cut down field main.
    How they got into hi-fi is the same old story as other compromises
    (like head phones) People buy "new" market (cheap)items....and before you
    know it ..there a new modern convenience...here to stay... Tubes Rule

Quote Originally Posted by Fort Knox View Post
    The Transistor had its orig. in-line/phone/ amps to cut down field main.
    How they got into hi-fi is the same old story as other compromises
    (like head phones) People buy "new" market (cheap)items....and before you
    know it ..there a new modern convenience...here to stay... Tubes Rule
    Tubes are great with high efficiency speaker systems - but when you get to some of the sealed box/low efficiency systems that want mega-watts to really get going, transistor gear is ever so much cheaper at those kind of levels. And everyone knows there are clean transistor-based amps.

Understand that my multichannel system downstairs (Vandersteens) is sand based -
    and the upstairs system (Von Schweikerts or JBL L200+ w/horns) is tube driven ... so, not a hater ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Tubes are great with high efficiency speaker systems - but when you get to some of the sealed box/low efficiency systems that want mega-watts to really get going, transistor gear is ever so much cheaper at those kind of levels. And everyone knows there are clean transistor-based amps.

Understand that my multichannel system downstairs (Vandersteens) is sand based -
    and the upstairs system (Von Schweikerts or JBL L200+ w/horns) is tube driven ... so, not a hater ...
    Do you have the Vandersteens that look like the Twin Trade Towers....

Quote Originally Posted by Fort Knox View Post
    Do you have the Vandersteens that look like the Twin Trade Towers....
    All the affordable Vandersteens look pretty much the same - tall columns with wood cap and footer, wrapped in cloth.
    Some are 2 ways, some are 3 ways, some are 4 ways (series 1, 2 or 3) .
    When you get to the higher end models they go to fancy piano finish and such ...

the 7.1 Surround system downstairs is:

JBL 4641 sub in front right (concealed by black cloth)
    Pair of Vandersteen 3As as mains
    Vandersteen VCC1 on console as Center
    Pair of Vandersteen 2CEs as side surrounds
    Pair of DCM TF-600 (TimeFrame 600/Transmission Line speakers) as rear Surrounds.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

They fit good in space avail....like NY you can always go up...
    As for Tubes I, too, use a solid amp for sub...its cleaner...in a world of low lows..

There are plenty of high power tube amps coming up on Ebay all the time. This is one of the higher quality items but can still be had for a reasonable price and will drive anything you can throw at it.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_In.../the_baron.htm

Allan.

Tubes!

I especially like Single Ended tube amps. Class "A" all the way!

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeNelis View Post
    horn fanatic nailed it tube is king with horns. I use Mcintosh tube with my horn system matched with a quality beer and its drool time
    I know a chap who has a pair of stock ALTEC 820 corner enclosures. I had been nagging him to get rid of all his solid state Mac gear and trade up to tubes. Not that it's the latest word in tube amps, but he came by a Scott LK150 stereo power amp. We hooked it up along with his Mac C20 preamp, and OMG! Those speaker lit up.

I know a chap who has a pair of stock ALTEC 820 corner enclosures. I had been nagging him to get rid of all his solid state Mac gear and trade up to tubes. Not that it's the latest word in tube amps, but he came by a Scott LK150 stereo power amp. We hooked it up along with his Mac C20 preamp, and OMG! Those speaker lit up.

Correct me if I'm wrong ..but, does one get better results, if the input
    side of a tube bass is over driven...

I love vintage power amps... Phase linears, Ampzilla's, SAE, etc... I also love the tube sound!! its warm with the details i want... They said that sold state got more detail but im scared that with solid state my horns will become harsh and with tiresome sound.
    I believe this is the answer. I have gone both ways with this in the past and have little to add to any tube vs solid state discussion. Technically, there is no contest. Like vinyl vs digital, there is tons more distortion in a typical tube amp than a solid state model designed as well. But for any personal choice of gear knowing what you like, and this quote makes it crystal clear that you do, is what matters. Given the caveat that non OTL is vital for speaker protection, tubes it is.

If solid state is still of interest, note that a good design will have a JFET input stage, many do these days, and a MOSFET output. That and an adequate power supply would be an apples to apples comparison with a well designed tube amp. Bipolar transistors are good as an element of constant current sources and other regulation (like rectification), but they are not a natural for analogue processing.

I have ended up preferring what solid state does, but that is my journey. Everyone likes their own kind of distortion; it's just that my choice has ended up being as little as possible, and like flat reproduction that is not a popular choice these days. You love the way tubes sound, so the choice is obvious.

Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Thread Information