Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moral Delimna...

lfh
    Originally posted by johnaec
    So if the lady does call me back because her sons are really upset and it's affected their relationship, I may listen to what she has to say. But if I don't hear from her, or she calls and says she should have sold them for more, I'm inclined to say, " A deal's a deal - you should have done your research...".
    I think you've arrived at a very reasonable strategy! Now

Hook them up!

John,
    hook them up, seat down, crank up the volume and I'm sure few minutes after you will be healed.

Fred.

Originally posted by johnaec
    OK - this is now my thinking.
    Dood...

You are overthinking this. You didn't bag her, you met her price. Done. This happens all-the-time. That's why we scour yard sales and why you check out Craig List anyway!! You did her a huge favour - the BIG BAD speakers are gone, her living room looks wonderful and she has some microBOSE on the way. She didn't have to deal with eBay, nor crate them up for shipment. Hell, if I keep going she will owe YOU money...

Sellers remorse does not apply - there was no agreement nor contract to that affect. She's probably supporting her kids off in college anyway, so they can't gripe either.

I'm with Giskard, we'll chip-in $25 each for a bottle of red wine. Now get to the listening - DUTY BECKONS!!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

RIP 2009
    Originally posted by boputnam
    Hell, if I keep going she will owe YOU money...
    Thanks Bo - that got me laughing! Now, I just gotta' get these things outta' my car. Pics later...

John

John,

Enjoy the speakers.

I discussed this kind of question with a friend of mine many years ago when I was buying classic speakers and tube electronics every week end at garage sales and flea markets. He said at one point, "A lot of people are interested in other things besides what this stuff is currently worth." Most of the conclusions we came to have already been mentioned, but I believe there is one more, very important one. The knowledge you have of the speakers' value was acquired at the cost of considerabe expenditure of time and money. While you were doing that the people you bought the speakers from were doing something else, of their own choosing, maybe making a lot of money at it. You met in a market you both entered freely. You paid the price they asked.

I believe, also, from the description of the situation and process, that before they sold them to you they realized their mistake and decided to go ahead and back up what they said they would do.

It was unfair to you and inappropriate for her to try to convert you from a purchaser to a consultant.

Enjoy the speakers.

David

RIP 2009
    Thanks, Dave. It looks like they, (the speakers), have moved in for good. John

That's the ticket!

Speakerdave, that is the best explanation I've seen of this type of situation... thanks. It has always seemed logical to me that it is not the obligation of a buyer to educate the seller of the value of their goods, but I might still have felt queasy on occasion.

We audio types tend to focus tightly on this old equipment, what it is worth, etc. In the case of a widow, she may just want it to be gone, and will be completely satisfied when this happens. Who knows- she may have hated the darn things for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell
    Speakerdave, that is the best explanation I've seen of this type of situation... thanks. It has always seemed logical to me that it is not the obligation of a buyer to educate the seller of the value of their goods, but I might still have felt queasy on occasion.

We audio types tend to focus tightly on this old equipment, what it is worth, etc. In the case of a widow, she may just want it to be gone, and will be completely satisfied when this happens. Who knows- she may have hated the darn things for decades.
    I appreciate the kind words, but I really think my analysis is specific to John's experience and others very similar to it in its essential details. It is not a formula I would feel comfortable applying to all scenarios. I admit that I can be a complete sap and when the humanity of the situation seems to suggest it, give up my strategic advantage and act differently from what I have described. It is always better to follow the impulse of the heart to generosity even if there are acceptable ways to rationalize around it. However, I like to remain aware that there are people out there who are astute enough to exploit this quality in others. I don't like being wrung out by them.

David

David,

I agree with the spirit of this post completely. Thank you!

I am also happy for John's "luck". If I were in his shoes though, I think I would surprise the seller with an additional $100 when I could swing it.

Widget

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    I think I would surprise the seller with an additional $100 when I could swing it.
    Yeah, I've thought about that. Things are real on the edge right now, (new home, property taxes due, etc..), so it may have to wait a month or two, but I feel good about that...

And thanks again, everyone - your opinions have been highly valued.

John

Thread Information