Thread: What would the impedence of this single 3 way system be?

What would the impedence of this single 3 way system be?

Hello,
    I hope the collective wisdom of this forum can help me with a question regarding the 3-way system shown on page 2 of this old Electro Voice PDF:ENGINEERING DATA - Electro-Voice

Assume that the woofer involved is an 8 Ohm 15", the midrange driver is actually an 8" JBL 2118H (which is usually a midrange anyway) and the tweeter is actually an EV T-35. They're all 8 Ohm, and both the mid & high are connected to the identical crossovers shown on the PDF.

Could this system be safely plugged into an 8 Ohm speaker output?

Thank you for any help you can offer, and have a wonderful Chanukah or a Merry Christmas or whatever ports your cabinet:-)

Regards,
    Howard Emerson

The woofer's electrical characteristics dominate what the amp "sees," so that would be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    The woofer's electrical characteristics dominate what the amp "sees," so that would be just fine.
    Thank you so much for the reply!

So my 1961 Fender Tremolux head is not in danger of frying if I hook this system up to it? That's wonderful to hear! I have heard that Leo Fender built his amps knowing that musicians were not alway careful in what they would hook up to them, so SUPPOSEDLY they're even good down to 2 OHMS, but I'm not a gambler, so I think it is better to ask.

The guitar I'm using not only has a magnetic pickup, but also a small condensor microphone which would be best shown through the mid & high frequency sections.

Thank you again!

Howard

Careful when putting some power to that system, the T35 tweeter is not the most robust tweeter, nice sounding just not big in the power department.

Going from the system design using a midrange horn to a 2118 mid cone speaker could be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post
    Careful when putting some power to that system, the T35 tweeter is not the most robust tweeter, nice sounding just not big in the power department.

Going from the system design using a midrange horn to a 2118 mid cone speaker could be interesting.
    Hi Mike,
    I have always thought the EV T-35 was actually a fairly robust unit as it came in a lot of EV PA systems in the 1990's, etc.

I also think that the JBL 2118H will yield very nice tonal results, especially compared to the EV MR10 I was looking for. They're like hen's teeth, with no replacement diaphragms available.

Again, the upper frequency drivers are for the benefit of a condensor mic that is built into my National Resolectric. It will be blended with the magnetic pickup, so experimentation is what I have to look forward to!

Regards,
    Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell View Post

Hello Mike,
    Happy New Year to you!

The JBL 2118H turned out to be a GREAT choice as the midrange for what I'm attempting! So far I've only played the magnetic pickup through the system, so I don't really have a sense of what the tweeter might have to say.

The ancient EV crossover rheostats could use a shot of D-Oxit, as they're a little arthritic sounding when being adjusted, but other than that they work fine. When the condensor mic half of the system is engaged, the tweeter should show more of what it's got, or ain't.

I wired the system so that the Weber 15" can be used as a woofer in a 3 way system, or it can be plugged into the extension speaker jack getting the 'full range', and then I can blend in the mid/highs. Obviously this is not a hi-fi system, and if I like what I'm hearing, THAT is the sole criteria for judging its success or failure.

Thank you all again for your knowledge & wisdom!

Regards,
    Howard
    http://howardemerson.com/music2.html If you turn your speakers on you can hear some of what I do!

Thread Information