Thread: 4343 Horizontal Setup?

4343 Horizontal Setup?

Just wondering if anyone has experimented with placing 4343's on their sides?

Seems to me it could be ideal for getting the woofers a bit higher off the floor while keeping the teeters at ear height

My 4343b's are currently vertical on low (5" high) wheeled platforms. My room is small about 15'x20'. I find they are best as wide apart as I can (12') and very close (6'). The lose a bit of imaging I think when they're any further back.

Name:  tuff gong.jpg
Views: 1736
Size:  52.4 KB

Well - they were made to be used either way! That's one of the cooler improvements over the 4341s ...
    The 3 upper drivers are on a panel that can be rotated 90 degrees (either way) to facilitate that use ...
    The 2405 slot can be mounted to the left or right of the exponential horn so they are mirrored.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldjazz View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has experimented with placing 4343's on their sides?

Seems to me it could be ideal for getting the woofers a bit higher off the floor while keeping the teeters at ear height

My 4343b's are currently vertical on low (5" high) wheeled platforms. My room is small about 15'x20'. I find they are best as wide apart as I can (12') and very close (6'). The lose a bit of imaging I think when they're any further back.

Name:  tuff gong.jpg
Views: 1736
Size:  52.4 KB
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I find they are best as wide apart as I can (12') and very close (6'). The lose a bit of imaging I think when they're any further back.
    Have you tried them slightly toed-in, or could they be toed too much? Seems to work well with my 4345s which are about 11-ft apart (center-to-center) with the listening position 9-feet back. I have them toed-in maybe 30-degrees.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Toe-in reduces the size of the stereo image but makes it more precise. I think that the correct height (which I haven't figured yet) is as important as toe in.

Quote Originally Posted by martin2395 View Post
    Toe-in reduces the size of the stereo image but makes it more precise. I think that the correct height (which I haven't figured yet) is as important as toe in.
    Probably correct but with the 4345 the image is fairly huge to start with and the HF height is perfect without stands. If I look straight at my speakers from my couch, the HF line-up is a straight shot at eye and ear level.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Yep toe em in sort of 20 degrees or so now. Yeah I was aware that front baffle can be rotated which makes me think it could be ideal. As I get the feeling the bass would be improve be lifting it off the ground a couple feet and the when you rotate that panel the tweets would be at ear height.

I kind of feel like listening basically near field with them take out a lot of bad stuff going in the room currently. I'm thinking ultimately id like to mount them on their side on 2' solid stands, rotate that panel, get them like 10' away and 12' apart, and get some room treatments.

Any thoughts on if they distance from the wall behind them?

Ideally the 4343 frequency response has been optimized in flush mounted environment to minimize diffractions and to eliminate back wall reflection ... easy to tell but not so easy to install in our domestic rooms

Home audio enjoyment will generally be enhanced by bringing them out into the room almost as far as you can stand. In your 20 ft room, assuming you're using the short wall as the front wall, I'd start 3-4 ft out and continue to move them out into the room from there, while listening. At 5-7 ft out (or even further), you should hear an improvement in the depth of the image. Depending on your room, you may lose bass boundary re-enforcement as you move them further out, however. Sometimes, placement for best image/soundstage will have to be compromised for good bass response. Sitting near/mid field does reduce issues caused by your room, and again, generally makes a more enjoyable experience.

[QUOTE=rusty jefferson;369798]Home audio enjoyment will generally be enhanced by bringing them out into the room almost as far as you can stand. In your 20 ft room, assuming you're using the short wall as the front wall, I'd start 3-4 ft out and continue to move them out into the room from there, while listening. At 5-7 ft out (or even further)

Cheers for your comments, makes sense and checks out with what I've found by moving them around. Actually the long wall is my front wall as I came to the conclusion that having them wide apart and not too far away gave the best soundstage. This was after re-arranging the living room so many times the people I'm living with thought I'd lost it, ha.

Actually I think I have finally just nailed my baimp setup tonight which seems to be a bit of a game changer regarding bass and soundstage. I just got a 300W Perreaux 6000b the other day and put it on the low end and my 110W sansui au10000 on the highs with a JBL M552 X-over and a Mark Levinson ML-1 pre. It took a couple of days of fiddling but things are sounding the best I've every heard it tonight. So now the bass is stronger just because of the biamping so moving it out from the wall does deepen the soundstage with the bass still strong.

There's definetley a sweet spot in terms of how close to me and how far from the back wall. It seems the further you move them from the wall the sound appears to still come from the wall, hence the soundstage gets deeper. But too close and the elements sound too present in the foreground coming from the speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by ratitifb View Post
    Ideally the 4343 frequency response has been optimized in flush mounted environment to minimize diffractions and to eliminate back wall reflection ... easy to tell but not so easy to install in our domestic rooms
    ha yeah, well I'll just have to punch two large holes into my living room wall, through to the apartment next door

Thread Information