Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dismantling Array 1400, possible without damage?

Thanks for the info on what might be coming out in the near future, very interesting! Will have a look at some of the model numbers.

I hasten to add that this is not solid info but speculation based on a good few years dealing with Harman uk / JBL , reading the tea leaves if you will.

A thank you!

Hi all, i put a wanted add in the classifieds for some Array 1400s, which are fairly hard to come by in the UK, anyway i eventually manged to get a pair, they where delivered yesterday and they are like brand new!
    So thanks to Widget, Maccaroonie Lowpreak Odd, BMWCCA (cooky and Merlin over on PF) and Pos (i feel like im at the Oscars!), but most especially to Pos who went out of his way, being my translator (i eventually got a pair from France) go between and adviser! Without his help i'd still be "Arrayless"

So thanks one and all, will post my impressions of them in the Array thread!

J

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Congrats from all of us Arrayless onlookers in the audience!

Quote Originally Posted by Space is the... View Post
    So thanks to Widget, Maccaroonie Lowpreak Odd, BMWCCA (cooky and Merlin over on PF) and Pos (i feel like im at the Oscars!), but most especially to Pos who went out of his way, being my translator (i eventually got a pair from France) go between and adviser! Without his help i'd still be "Arrayless"
    My pleasure Jon
    This is what forums are for after all!

Regarding the original topic of this thread, here are a couple of pictures from the seller on how he managed to remove the foilcals from the horns.
    He did not even had to use a hair dryer.
    What you see on the horn are just residues from the double sided tape that he left in-place to be able to easily reinstall the foical

Name:  409613Left.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  212.9 KB

Name:  327371Right.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  212.1 KB

Splendid !

Well, how do you like them? These are my all time favorite JBLs. I've never heard any speaker that images as well. Sounds like it was much ado about nothing on the logos.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    Well, how do you like them? These are my all time favorite JBLs. I've never heard any speaker that images as well. Sounds like it was much ado about nothing on the logos.
    Ive had them a little under a week now so getting used to what they do!
    I think they sound very natural, even though they are hi-fidelity in the purest sense they aren't "hifi" if that makes any sense at all?
    Shall i just say they're fantastic and leave it at that!

I using them with fairly inexpensive electronics, Dacmagic Plus using the volume control (i did have a EE Minimax Valve preamp, but i think they sound better without it in the loop) and four NHT A1 monoblocks which i got at cost, bi-amped so about 500watts per side, don't know if the speaker would improve with fancier amps and front end, but with this inexpensive setup there aren't many artifacts in the sound, the bass isn't quite as tight as the infinite baffle speakers i had or as deep, but overall the JBLs have much less dynamic compression.

I listen to so many different types of music and they don't seem to favour anything, and of course they can get pretty close to sounding like 'live' It's the first time i've heard Bjork sound like Bjork does singing live un-amplified and that's a pretty hard trick to pull off!

You need a 1500 Array to go with those. Trust me, they play very nice with the LE14H-3.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    You need a 1500 Array to go with those. Trust me, they play very nice with the LE14H-3.
    Ha! Yes im sure it does! I think the bass from the Arrays is just low enough and possibly the room is the limitation ultimately to there performance at the moment. Just listening to Mahler's 2nd now typing this and they are very impressive on climaxes!

I'm going to see my friend next week who has ATC 100As with their large sub and some *infinite subs in the roof making the loft space the box, i can't remember exactly what he called them, only there are two 18inch drivers and it creates a live ambiance to playback, looking forward to hearing it.

*Cant remember what he said this type of sub was called now.

space, do yourself a favor if you're looking for a sub(s) and check out the top REL's, such as the G-1 and G-2, or older models on the used market like Studio and Stentor. Once you get them positioned well and dialed-in, you'll be amazed at the improvement not only in the last octave but also the soundstage and detail of the whole sound, not to mention that you should get a seamless transition from the sub's range to the satellites.

As good as I've heard many other subs to be, I can't say the above about them. Why do you think I call myself "low" phreak?

http://rel.net/ No affliation.

I dont really need subs the other speakers had dual subs (in fact i still have them and a tiny Sunfire Sub) they maybe went a little lower in room than the Arrays, but the Arrays are enough i don't want to add more complication to it. Im going to measure room later this week to see whats going on with the frequency response, i cant help but feel (hear) the midrange and top end sound very linear to me probably more so than any other speaker i've tried.

That's quite understandable. Sometimes "less is more" in audio, especially in areas like bass response if it isn't done right. Except for the advantages of greater spatial info/soundstage that the REL's can bring, I don't feel much need for a sub with the 590's. I'm sure the same can be said for your 1400's.

...although, I think it'd be more fun to watch that 14" do its job rather than these two 8's.

Quote Originally Posted by Space is the... View Post
    I dont really need subs the other speakers had dual subs (in fact i still have them and a tiny Sunfire Sub) they maybe went a little lower in room than the Arrays, but the Arrays are enough i don't want to add more complication to it. Im going to measure room later this week to see whats going on with the frequency response, i cant help but feel (hear) the midrange and top end sound very linear to me probably more so than any other speaker i've tried.
    It'll boil down to how much stuff you listen to with <40Hz content. With music that's pretty much limited to pipe organs and a few other rare things. For movies, its a lot different. That said, I run my PS stacks on a 40Hz crossover to an Array 1500 and HTPS400, and really like the results. But that's mostly for movies. Not to say I don't drag out the pipe organ SACDs when I feel like rattling the house. Obviously the room is part of the equation too, and the amps driving the 1400 might or might not also benefit from routing 40Hz to a sub.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    It'll boil down to how much stuff you listen to with <40Hz content. With music that's pretty much limited to pipe organs and a few other rare things.
    I'd argue there's a lot more "down there" below 40 Hz than many people think, and it's not just from organs or the 5th string on an electric bass. Briefly, as Alvin Gold has put it:

“…bass and cello fundamentals that were only implied by their harmonics are now produced in full strength. But the benefits extend well beyond the bass, as the additional bandwidth alters the perception of midband and treble output, adding richness and a greater range of tonal colours, and adding also to image scale.”

and from REL's blurb:

"Strange as it may seem, it’s not only bass instruments that produce low frequencies – many orchestral notes contain low frequency components, which contribute to the defining character of their sound. For pure fidelity to be realized, every part of every note in the music must be reproduced, along with the acoustic signature of the recording space."

That's part of what I mean when I say a very good sub can improve soundstage perception, detail, and sense of the recording space, and not that many subs actually get it right. I learned long ago not to buy most mfg. or pro reviewer hype, but in this case it's true.

Thread Information