Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2216Nd Projects

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    Are you sure the left one should have that small woofer?

I knew something didn't look quite right!

There seems to be a little hype around these 2216Nd drivers. I am not doubting they are good, I have myself heard the K2 S4700 at it was amazing. But looking at the technical specification, 2216Nd has more distorsion and more rising frequency response than 1501al and 1501fe.
    So what is it making the 2216Nd the "thing to have" right now? price/sound ratio? radiation pattern? Some other sound quality not shown in specifications, but can be heard?

In the past the LE10-H got praise mostly because it had no really nasty faults...that's it. I suspect this new beast will be more of the same. A driver that commits no major sins at all will probably make for a pleasant listening experience. It may not the best in any particular way, but I think you could call it very well optimized.

Reduced dynamic compression.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    There's two aspects to dynamic compression, i believe.

In a large level scale context, most modern designs tend to be much better than the units they replace. Some say this started with SFG ferrites taking over from the earlier alnico's, but i actually believe it was most visible (sorry: audible) during the time when one to the next ferrite/neo iteration was done, just compare 2225 to 2226 at ++ volume.

Second aspect is small scale or "inner" dynamic contrast. It is my (entirely personal) feeling that the newer high power coils and cones do swallow a lot of fine detail IF -big if- you don't use the large scale benefits. Because if you do, those will outshine (sorry: outsound) the benefits in inner dynamics the lighter coils / lighter cones do in my opinion have [i also interpret Aaron's "no major sins" comment this way, the newer structures tend to swallow fine detail + fine dynamics and avoid sharp breakups plus yield extra reliability in exchange].

2216Nd can perhaps combine both benefits by going for a smaller / lighter 3" coil. I have no access to this engineering miracle, hope you can post on how it sounds when you get it.

Ralph

HA!

gibber, a friend and I had this exact conversation yesterday evening and I nearly spoke your last post verbatim.

I don't know if we are right but, we sure think alike.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Can that be seen in the specs?

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    So what is it making the 2216Nd the "thing to have" right now? price/sound ratio? radiation pattern? Some other sound quality not shown in specifications, but can be heard?
    For me it was the availability of the transducer and DSP settings already worked out by JBL, but mostly the availability .

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by srm51555 View Post
    For me it was the availability of the transducer and DSP settings already worked out by JBL, but mostly the availability .
    Those are really big pluses.

The 2216Nd seems unique in that I haven't heard a single bad thing about it from anyone at JBL. It is the current "darling", maybe because virtually anyone working there can actually lift it without dropping it or hurting themselves? It could be interesting to see what else occurs. Rumor was that there might be a twelve-inch version as well as another fifteen-inch version with a lower Fs.

Now that my 1501AL-2 project is finally complete I can start on my 2216Nd project.

These things are too heavy and I just can't seem to be able to escape the fifteen-inch JBL in the five cubic foot box syndrome. The M2 clones will be just as big and heavy, well, thirty pounds lighter if only because of the 2216Nd neo.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Those are gorgeous.

Did you make the grills?

Thank you,
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Beautiful. Better than factory made.

Looks amazing!

Goyjus! I like the angle on the grills.
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Now that my 1501AL-2 project is finally complete I can start on my 2216Nd project.
    Beautiful! Congratulations on a job well done!!

Widget

Ok, so who has done a project with their 2216nds so far? ....or are they still 'in transit'?

Warren
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

Thread Information