Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2216Nd Projects

I finally got mine earlier this week. Will try to find the time this weekend to replace my ME150H with these. I noticed some things about the 2216nd when looking at them but I could be wrong:
    Compared to the ME150h the dust cap seem a bit taller. The outer diameter seem to be slightly larger (not counting the rubber lip) and the cone is not straight sided but seems curved. More as you get closer to the spider. If some one with greater knowledge could confirm this?

How long time did it take from order to delivery, Jakob?

Am I understanding this correctly, you are building M2 clones and live in the same city as me?! I would very much like to listen to it when you are finished.
    You are welcome to listen to my active 4365s if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    How long time did it take from order to delivery, Jakob?

Am I understanding this correctly, you are building M2 clones and live in the same city as me?! I would very much like to listen to it when you are finished.
    You are welcome to listen to my active 4365s if you want.
    I ordered mine in May. These has as you probably know gone on and off the availability list and at first it wasn't sure that these would be available as non replacement parts. Now they seem though

Thank you fo your offer but my avatar is not up to date unfortunately; I haven't lived in Gothenburg for 5 years now. Nice town nonetheless and I bet your 4365's sound great. I like the white look!

Yes the plan is a M2 look-a-like. Not sure about the D2 yet. I'm using the M2 wg with 2451 with SL diaphrams and are quite happy with that. I'm not sure what would be the best upgrade; D2 or Truextents in the 2451?

What happened ... please tell all

Yes, this is an older thread, but an interesting one.

Did many, or any, of these projects come to fruition?
    I am guessing folks probably used ported cabinets with internal volumes between 130-145 liters and vent tuning between the mid-20s to the low-30's Hz. My guesses are driven by specs for the M2 cabinet and the S-4700 cabinet. I don't know of any other cabinets that use the original 2216-nd woofer.

Please share what you found or measured or photographed. I am quite interested since I recently received a pair of these woofers. They need a good home.

Thanks,
    -Tom

Place Holder

Robh
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

This should be fun

Well it's official just got the balance of the materials for my cabinets at Home Depot. Figured I had better get them now before they get locked down with the corona closings. They are talking about a 12 day shelter at home quarantine for NYC. If we get the same that should do it easy time wise at least I have something to do to keep busy. Hope the weather holds!

So 12 X 2' x 4' by 3/4 MDF. 4 3" x 8' corner rounds plus 32 board ft of 2"x 3" and 1"x 2" and 2 4" Precision Ports! Saw starts on Friday!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Well it's official just got the balance of the materials for my cabinets at Home Depot. Figured I had better get them now before they get locked down with the corona closings. They are talking about a 12 day shelter at home quarantine for NYC. If we get the same that should do it easy time wise at least I have something to do to keep busy. Hope the weather holds!

So 12 X 2' x 4' by 3/4 MDF. 4 3" x 8' corner rounds plus 32 board ft of 2"x 3" and 1"x 2" and 2 4" Precision Ports! Saw starts on Friday!

Rob
    And what exactly are you building?

Widget

And what exactly are you building?
    Hello Widget

I have a pair of 2216Nd's so I am going to build a bottom cabinet same volume as a 4700 system. Tuning TBD. Similar to the Le-14H-3 bases I built for my Arrays. I also have 476Mg's and M2 horns that will be in a separate removable cabinet. Going to be a passive set-up.

Plan is to set-it up so I can switch tops if I want. I had the same idea when I built the Array bottoms. I still have my L250 Jubilee and XPL-200 tops and drivers for 4315 tops as well. Those would be a simple active bi-amp. So lots a plans lets see how it works out. My gut is telling me once I get the M2 tops done I will be done. Same as when I did the Arrays.

Rob

Perhaps a dedicated "Here's what I did during the Covid outbreak" thread?

"Here's what I did during the Covid outbreak"
    As opposed too "Here's what I did on my summer vacation"!!!! Well if we all have some forced time off that may not be a bad idea. Beats wasting the time and doing nothing or watching sports reruns and streaming movies all day.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Have you considered a larger enclosure?

The 4700 enclosure volume was probably a marketing limit on the size.

I recall when I looked at it the 150+ Litres delivered more low end extension with or without boost.

If you going to place the enclosure close to a wall you might consider a banana curve tuning with a lowish Fb around 25-27 hertz

Greg seems to approach tuning (diy) with the largest possible enclosure and a low tuning 27-32 hertz.

Hello Ian

Yes I looked at it but I didn't see a worth while improvement going bigger compared to using a bump filter. I reversed and found a smaller box sweet spot using the bump filter I had available in the DSP in my preamp.

I have a banana curve built into basic box curve Red hard to see. My Fb is 26hz. If I add 6db I get essentially flat response F3 @ 25Hz or I can drop it down 1db at a time to just the box in room. I have a lot of adjustment possible using this scenario.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Questions for you DIY types with real world experience with the 2216Nd... after my off the wall suggestion Rob (sebackman) to try to EQ the snot out of the 2216Nd for sub use, I pulled up this old thread.

While the 2216Nd is definitely not a true sub, it looks like it will certainly get well below 30Hz with authority and in my listening to the M2 with factory calibration, being most impressed with the LF I am curious what you guys have found the lower limits to be. What tunings and enclosure volumes are you guys using?

Just thinking of potential projects and that I should get a pair of the 2216Nds before the fine folks at JBL make this wonderful woofer NLA.

Widget

If the 2216Nds can play to the low 30s (32 to 34) in the correct box what would the size of the box be? I don't want to augment with EQ if possible. I don't trust my skills at plugging the T/S into WinIsd. Thanks.

Thread Information