Thread: 4350 & accuphase ccrossover

4350 & accuphase ccrossover

Hi Guys, thanks a lot for your great job you're doing here for JBL lovers and sorry for my broken english.

I hope in near future to buy a pair of these beautiful babies and I would like to use analog active crossovers.

Few questions:

- what do you think using Accuphase F-25?

- should it be ordered with just one crossover Frequency Board, 250hz filter, -12db/octave slope?

thanks!

Agostino

Looks like yes, if you want to stick to the 4350 recommended
    configuration:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...hlight=52-5140

One could consider also ordering a 290Hz card set and switching
    the F-25 to 18dB/oct.

Someone with specific experience here might offer an opinion
    ( I do not own a 4350 or 4355 ).

Quote Originally Posted by ago2001 View Post
    Hi Guys, thanks a lot for your great job you're doing here for JBL lovers and sorry for my broken english.

I hope in near future to buy a pair of these beautiful babies and I would like to use analog active crossovers.

Few questions:

- what do you think using Accuphase F-25?

- should it be ordered with just one crossover Frequency Board, 250hz filter, -12db/octave slope?

thanks!

Agostino

I think accuphase is good . Try to find F25 is the best, Bryston 10B is the good one

How things are going in Malta??

I would stick with the 5234A with the appropriate cards if I was you.
    C

Quote Originally Posted by Challenger604 View Post
    How things are going in Malta??

I would stick with the 5234A with the appropriate cards if I was you.
    C
    Sorry for late late late reply. Why 5234A is (or should be) better than Accuphase F25?

BTW: guys @ audioantiquary in Italy (https://www.audioantiquary.com/en-us/) do " ..personalized cards on every frequency and slope desired for the Mark Levinson LNC2"

what about using the ML LNC2 with bespoke 290 hz-18db / octave board?

The Pass XVR1 has a 290hz option at 6/12/18/24 dB slopes. User selectable, no cards required.

https://www.passlabs.com/sites/defau...es/XVR1_om.pdf

Good call Jeff. NP knows his stuff for sure and is very open about his design goals and methods. Just look at the documentation in the .pdf . Outstanding.

A few thoughts on this topic.

Adding an active crossover is effectively adding a second preamp in series ahead of your amplification. If your preamp is on the level of a Denon AVR, you can probably use any active crossover and it's electronic signature will go unnoticed. If on the other hand you have an Audio Research Ref preamp or any other extremely transparent preamp, then using a JBL chip based crossover will add a sonic signature that will be quite apparent.

I only know Accuphase by reputation, and it is likely superior sonically to a JBL, Ashly, DBX, etc. crossover.

The Bryston and Pass Labs use discrete transistors to build their line stages. Pass Labs are built using very carefully hand matched components.

On the topic of the Pass Labs XVR-1 specifically, it is essentially a preconfigured breadboard. It is not the right choice for someone who is not patient and careful as it is really easy to set it up incorrectly. It's flexibility makes it extremely powerful, but setup is everything. You can set up asymmetrical crossovers with different frequencies and slopes at each crossover point.

As for 250Hz vs. 290Hz, I doubt that in this case it will be very audible. 12dB vs. 18dB, now that will be far more audible.
    FWIW: the XVR-1 has 220Hz, 250Hz, and 290Hz outputs.

Lastly, on acquiring a Pass Labs XVR-1, I don't think you will be able to buy a new one as I have been told they are no longer building them. That said, enough were produced over the years that used ones do pop up.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    A few thoughts on this topic.

Adding an active crossover is effectively adding a second preamp in series ahead of your amplification. If your preamp is on the level of a Denon AVR, you can probably use any active crossover and it's electronic signature will go unnoticed. If on the other hand you have an Audio Research Ref preamp or any other extremely transparent preamp, then using a JBL chip based crossover will add a sonic signature that will be quite apparent.

I only know Accuphase by reputation, and it is likely superior sonically to a JBL, Ashly, DBX, etc. crossover.

The Bryston and Pass Labs use discrete transistors to build their line stages. Pass Labs are built using very carefully hand matched components.

On the topic of the Pass Labs XVR-1 specifically, it is essentially a preconfigured breadboard. It is not the right choice for someone who is not patient and careful as it is really easy to set it up incorrectly. It's flexibility makes it extremely powerful, but setup is everything. You can set up asymmetrical crossovers with different frequencies and slopes at each crossover point.

As for 250Hz vs. 290Hz, I doubt that in this case it will be very audible. 12dB vs. 18dB, now that will be far more audible.
    FWIW: the XVR-1 has 220Hz, 250Hz, and 290Hz outputs.

Lastly, on acquiring a Pass Labs XVR-1, I don't think you will be able to buy a new one as I have been told they are no longer building them. That said, enough were produced over the years that used ones do pop up.

Widget
    many thanks.

as always very clear and comprehensive.

BTW it seems that one con buy 2,3 F25 for one XVR-1:

- XRV-1 ......... https://www.evoluzionehifi.it/amplif...bs-xvr1-2.html (US$ 7.000,00)
    - F25 with board ........ https://tinyurl.com/F25ebay (US $3.000,00)

PS: 3155 networks? really good?

What Widget said is correct.

There is always something new coming out in the consumer audio market.
    I am aware of some new product development that should surface in the next few months.

About the Accuphase crossover the crossover characteristic should be checked before considering it seriously. The last revision of the jbl 4350 was the 4355 which specified 18 dB per octave crossover slopes. Other crossover characteristics may work but you won’t know in this case unless you buy it.

The Accuphase cards can also be very expensive as they are no longer in production. That makes it a risky investment. Unless you are in a hurry and really want the Accuphase my suggestion is to wait. I would buy a low cost pro active crossover like the Ashly discussed elsewhere on the forums to get you going. You will get the idea of how the 4350 sounds bi amped.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    What Widget said is correct.

There is always something new coming out in the consumer audio market.
    I am aware of some new product development that should surface in the next few months.

About the Accuphase crossover the crossover characteristic should be checked before considering it seriously. The last revision of the jbl 4350 was the 4355 which specified 18 dB per octave crossover slopes. Other crossover characteristics may work but you won’t know in this case unless you buy it.

The Accuphase cards can also be very expensive as they are no longer in production. That makes it a risky investment. Unless you are in a hurry and really want the Accuphase my suggestion is to wait. I would buy a low cost pro active crossover like the Ashly discussed elsewhere on the forums to get you going. You will get the idea of how the 4350 sounds bi amped.

Ian, thank you so much. I'll be waiting.

few things: F25 are not very expensive (with cards https://tinyurl.com/F25ebay), but are active and I do nderstand what you and Mr. Widget are telling me about active xovers.

But.. something less expensive (and complicated) than the XRV-1 ?

thanks again

What someone is prepared to pay is relative to their means and what similar product might be worth in the market.

I can’t comment on the planned pricing in foreign markets because a number of factors effect end user pricing. I can however advise a range of product will be made available for entry level, advanced users and hi end multi amp systems. Its less complex for the user and easily set up for specific loudspeaker systems or for any audio amateur designs with the advanced designs. The JBL system user will be well supported.

There will be further comms as these developments move closer to market.

That’s about it for now.

Ian

Finally a Crossover that i will keep... McIntosh Men220

I have a set of vertical 4351's and have struggled for them to sound truly world class until I removed the JBL 5234A and used the Mcintosh men220 two way crossover and room correction unit. Truly amazing results .....it was not expected. Super expensive but worth it for the results. Just my 2 cents after going on this JBL journey for the past 7 years. I also paired them up with two Mcintosh MC 452's. Its game over for me, it been a long journey but i am home now.

Quote Originally Posted by ago2001 View Post
    Ian, thank you so much. I'll be waiting.

few things: F25 are not very expensive (with cards https://tinyurl.com/F25ebay), but are active and I do nderstand what you and Mr. Widget are telling me about active xovers.

But.. something less expensive (and complicated) than the XRV-1 ?

thanks again
    JBL 4355 | JBL 4351 | JBL 4425 x 2 | JBL XPL 200 | JBL XPL 160 | JBL 4345

Quote Originally Posted by focalguy View Post
    I have a set of vertical 4351's and have struggled for them to sound truly world class until I removed the JBL 5234A and used the Mcintosh men220 two way crossover and room correction unit. Truly amazing results .....it was not expected. Super expensive but worth it for the results. Just my 2 cents after going on this JBL journey for the past 7 years. I also paired them up with two Mcintosh MC 452's. Its game over for me, it been a long journey but i am home now.
    Wish I had seen this earlier... I just stumbled onto this post.

The MEN220 uses Lyngdorf RoomPerfect DSP and mic. with an included 2 way crossover. If you are still tracking the forum, I would love to hear your thoughts on your crossover/system a few years down the road.

Widget

Thread Information