Thread: L250 grill frames: measurements, photos, and advice, please.

L250 grill frames: measurements, photos, and advice, please.

Good Evening, All,

As my L250 project system did not come to me with grill frames, I would like to build some that would approximate the original L250 frames from JBL. Do any of you have measurements, photos, or advice on how I should go about reproducing these frames? If I had some to copy, that would make it easy, but since that's not going to happen, I would most certainly appreciate any help you can offer on this front. Thank you, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

It is not often i can tribute to this forum but now i have a chance. I can measure and take some photos of my 250ti frames. Have you thought about how to attach them? If I remember correctly the L250 didnt come with grilles and therefore haven't got the six plastic inserts in the baffle to attach the grill pegs to? Not a big issue and those frame pegs are nla anyway asaik.
    I will be quite busy the week to come but I'll try to find time to take a first set of measurements.
    Best regards, Jakob

Greetings, Jakob,

Many thanks for your kind offer to take photos and measurement! I think there is a difference between the 250Ti frames, and the L250's, though. As Seawolf said, the L250's had a bit of velcro which matched up to the velcro opposite, and part of the frame laid on the top edge of the woofer, and maybe the 8" driver, too. I don't know, for sure. Though I appreciate your very kind offer, please wait until we find out if there is a huge difference between the L250 grills and those of the 250Ti!! Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

On the L250 grill frame, the cross members line up perfectly with the top of the flange on the 8" and 14" drivers. There's a skinny bit of velcro glued there on the drivers at the factory. On the frame, there's a 1" wide strip of Masonite sticking out under the cross member that catches on the drivers. It sticks out exactly the depth of the driver flanges. There's also a set of rubber bumpers in the corners of the grill that rest against the baffle. Its a pretty poor attachment and the grills tend to wander off. But if all those components are present and correct, it does work.

Good Morning, RDGrimes!

Thank you, very much! That was part of the info I was seeking. Do you have any photographs of the grills, and some measurements? If not, I can probably cobble something together from looking at photographs of complete L250 systems, once I have secured and mounted all the drivers in my own. Thank you, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

My mistake, the masonite and velcro rest on the LE5 and LE14, not the 108.
    Pardon my scrawls on the photo. There are 6 rubber pads, and the velcro strips are also indicated.

Name:  100_1806.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  39.7 KB

Hi, rdgrimes,

Perfect! I've saved your photo, and that will help a great deal. Could you please measure your frames, H-W-D, in inches, too? For the width, it would be good to know both top and bottom measurements. I think that, when I have time to do this, your help will be what gets it done in a presentable fashion!! Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

You'll save yourself a LOT of headaches if you can borrow one to use as a template. Obviously they are mirror images of each other, and only have two square corners. They should be cut from a single sheet of 3/4" MDF or plywood. (whichever is lighter)

Left grill with fabric on:
    Top; 11-7/8"
    Right side; (vertical surface) 34-1/4"
    bottom; 18-5/8"
    Left side; (angled surface) 34-7/8"

Outside surface is rounded all the way around. You're looking at some basic but detailed router work. The originals are lightweight MDF.

Good Evening, rdgrimes,

Thank you, very much, Sir!! I've added your measurement information to the photo you shared, and that will help a great deal!! I really appreciate your efforts, and will post here when the frames are all said and done. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Thread Information