Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL turkeys

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    ...and we thought some of the 70's audio ads were cheesy.

Makes me want to trade in my XPL's.

Name:  JBLearbud.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  21.7 KB
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

Question I don't know who they are anymore ...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

"The Soundtrack of Sell-Out"

think I'll run out and buy some wireless JBL (by Harming) MP3 cans today ... or maybe not

Like it or not (and I certainly do not), listening to MP3s through headphones is the way the vast majority of humans consume music these days,and Harman would be foolish indeed to ignore that market. Remember that like Sony (before they jettisoned their audio division), it's the cash flow from these consumer-level (and OEM car audio) products that allows Harman to keep people like Greg Timbers and Jerry Morro working on SOTA projects.

Quote Originally Posted by hsosdrum View Post
    Like it or not (and I certainly do not), listening to MP3s through headphones is the way the vast majority of humans consume music these days,and Harman would be foolish indeed to ignore that market. Remember that like Sony (before they jettisoned their audio division), it's the cash flow from these consumer-level (and OEM car audio) products that allows Harman to keep people like Greg Timbers and Jerry Morro working on SOTA projects.
    +1, yes, and stock recone kits from time to time.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Quote Originally Posted by hsosdrum View Post
    Or they could make money on what they've always been best at - loudspeakers. Timbers and others did just fine before the MP3 era.

Quote Originally Posted by LowPhreak View Post
    Or they could make money on what they've always been best at -
    loudspeakers. Timbers and others did just fine before the MP3 era.
    Ask the Music Business how that has been working out for them.

Nothing in the industry is the same as it was before the MP3 era ...

Expecting it to be the same is a great way to watch sales drop below survivability.

But Harman's issues are much deeper than who they market speakers to ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post

Expecting it to be the same is a great way to watch sales drop below survivability.

+1. A company the size of Harman (or even the size of the JBL division) cannot survive only selling consumer loudspeakers - there simply are not enough people who listen to audio through speakers. No one wishes more that things were still the same as they were back in 1978, but nothing is (including me, much to my chagrin).

Hardware (speakers, etc.) isn't software (digital files, etc.), and as you know, JBL makes pro, cinema, and recording products too, not just consumer. I've always thought that Harman's foray into the many things that Seawolf has posted here was simply another way to "diversify" using cheap Asia or Mexico labor to increase the bottom line of shareholders and execs, not so much "hey, we gotta get with the times and make cans, PC speakers, wireless/portable junk, and car stuff or we're gonna die off."

So what else is new?

You may have noticed that there are many audio companies that don't make that stuff and are doing fine.

Quote Originally Posted by LowPhreak View Post
    Hardware (speakers, etc.) isn't software (digital files, etc.), and as you know, JBL makes pro, cinema, and recording products too, not just consumer. I've always thought that Harman's foray into the many things that Seawolf has posted here was simply another way to "diversify" using cheap Asia or Mexico labor to increase the bottom line of shareholders and execs, not so much "hey, we gotta get with the times and make cans, PC speakers, wireless/portable junk, and car stuff or we're gonna die off."

So what else is new?

You may have noticed that there are many audio companies that don't make that stuff and are doing fine.

Timbers and others did just fine before the MP3 era.
    And how many Greg Timbers are being groomed for the next wave of JBL Performance gear?

I'm not saying they won't make it, what I am saying is that the music business has changed since the 1990s and before -
    and so has the Cinema business, the Pro sound business, and the recording business. The excesses are over - its a minimal edge over requirements, tighter budgets, less renewables, and more replaceables in the current production models.

More accounting, more contracting and consulting, more marketing, less about on-staff engineering.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

And how many Greg Timbers are being groomed for the next wave of JBL Performance gear?

I don't know, but I'd hope they do something about it soon if you're inference is correct.

If you can't sell on features and specs ...sell on trivia and celebrity and style.

really ?

bet they pay some ad agency big bucks for this stuff ? (while cutting engineering ?)

Thread Information