Thread: 2235H Woofer, Flapping Noise

2235H Woofer, Flapping Noise

Yes, flapping... For lack of a better term.

I just refoamed the first 2235H out of the pair of recently acquired 4430s. I meticulously glued the surround but I still have a noise. No history on these so it's up in the air. Is it common for the spider to come unglued or any such thing like that?

Thanks all. These are my first JBLs so I'm really looking forward to getting all this broken stuff going... Need to tackle this then get on to the blown channel on my PC4002M so I can power these beasts.

I had problems with strange sound on one of my sub 1500. Flapping might be the right word. In my case it was one of the tinsel leads that were to close to the cone and made noices touching the cone at cone movements.

Regards Karl

I tried moving the leads while playing a tone but no change. Have a stethoscope with no pad on the end (just the rubber tube) but can't seem to pinpoint where it's coming from. Tried it flat, vertical, upside down, etc and nothing makes a difference. When manually moving the cone I hear nothing. Only when power is applied.. Odd and definitely a new one for me. I'll try to get a dental syringe in there and apply some more glue to the underside of the basket attachment. All I can really think of at this point...

2235 have a mass ring. Look under the dust cap.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

when you hear the flapping noise what signal do you supply to the speaker ?

From my experience i heard flapping noise on fresh reconed 2235 while i was applying a 30Hz pure tone. The fact has been the half-roll surround went in touch with the front gasket during the max excursion ... the gasket was improperly installed (irregularly) at some area and not enough distant from the surround

Mass ring possibly but it's much more noticeable behind the cone. Can't hear it as much around the dust cap area out front. If it were the mass ring I might as well go recone. I won't be pulling the dust cap off of this, not comfortable with that.

And the woofer is making noise from 30hz up to 300hz or so, not frequency dependant. Also I do not have the gasket glued in place yet so that part is out.

Thread Information