Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: for sale soon in USA

Obsolete
    Just to be clear, Greg doesn't do JBL Professional, he hasn't since the split back in the 80's. If I remember correctly, the 4425 was his last design for JBL Professional. He showed it to me during one of my visits before it was introduced.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    M2.The M2 doesn't have a blue baffle... JBL Professional did not design the 4429, it is a JBL Consumer product.That is very interesting. My hesitation would be that G.T. designed the S3900 many years after the 4429 so the voicing could be substantially different. A comparison listen could definitely be in order.The 4365 components are very nice. It could be tempting to put the 2216Nd from the M2/S4700 with the 476Mg/H4365 and apply the Crowns.
    I really like the 1501Fe from the 4365 too though. I consider it the best JBL ferrite transducer "available".
    If I had a pair of S4700's the first thing I'd do would be tune them down to the M2 Fb and bi-amp them with the Crowns.
    There is no way the top end of the S4700 can compete with the M2, on paper, but I'd be damned if I wouldn't give it a try if I couldn't spring for some M2's instead.
    The top end of the 4365 can compete with the M2. If I had a pair I'd apply the Crowns in place of the passive filters and never look back. But then that would end up costing more than simply buying the M2's so...
    See how all this ends up?
    That's really what it comes down to.
    Fair warning - DON'T listen to a pair of M2's if you can't afford them or if you can't accept the fact that you would have to live without them.
    I see, well I was talkin' about the S4700 up against the 4365. From what you're saying, the 4365 is the better choice. As for the M2s, I would get them, but I don't care for Levinson and I'm leery about Crown.
    S4700 owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_72 View Post
    I see, well I was talkin' about the S4700 up against the 4365. From what you're saying, the 4365 is the better choice. As for the M2s, I would get them, but I don't care for Levinson and I'm leery about Crown.
    Surprised you would say that about ML Dave , in my experience they are the least audible of most amps.
    However since the M2 parameters are openly available ( 4313 posted a while back ) there is nothing to stop you using your favourite flavour of amp and DSP controller.
    Clearly there has been much discussion re how to eq the speaker v the room etc but the modern DSP units seem to have really come of age. When you consider how easy it is to dial in phase correction , micro adjustments of FR etc it seem to me to be a no brainer.

One caveat , knowing Harman as I do I would fully expect to see trickle down from the M2 at the upper end of the scale in pro and parallel development in handsome boxes in consumer. For example I could easily see a 99000 ' upgrade ' but using the DSP package. I hasten to say I have no knowledge of this , just reading the tea leaves.

Actually my natural curiosity would have me doing a ' M2 ' on the S4700

Anyway , as ever, the best of luck with your quest.

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    However since the M2 parameters are openly available ( 4313 posted a while back ) there is nothing to stop you using your favourite flavour of amp and DSP controller.c
    Beware, different DSP units use different EQ and shelving conventions, and with such a fine tuned system any difference will have audible consequences.
    I wrote a small document on how to adapt those M2 parameters to different DSP units: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Still, it is hard to find a unit with enough flexibility and EQ points to fit the bill.

I will publish some openDRC presets for the M2, using FIR corrections generated with rephase, leaving all the IIR EQ points available for room tuning.
    One openDRC (and stereo amp) per speaker would be a perfect match.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    I wrote a small document on how to adapt those M2 parameters to different DSP units: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Still, it is hard to find a unit with enough flexibility and EQ points to fit the bill.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Surprised you would say that about ML Dave , in my experience they are the least audible of most amps.
    However since the M2 parameters are openly available ( 4313 posted a while back ) there is nothing to stop you using your favourite flavour of amp and DSP controller.
    Clearly there has been much discussion re how to eq the speaker v the room etc but the modern DSP units seem to have really come of age. When you consider how easy it is to dial in phase correction , micro adjustments of FR etc it seem to me to be a no brainer.

One caveat , knowing Harman as I do I would fully expect to see trickle down from the M2 at the upper end of the scale in pro and parallel development in handsome boxes in consumer. For example I could easily see a 99000 ' upgrade ' but using the DSP package. I hasten to say I have no knowledge of this , just reading the tea leaves.

Actually my natural curiosity would have me doing a ' M2 ' on the S4700

Anyway , as ever, the best of luck with your quest.

Mac
    Levinson really doesn't do anything for me. I prefer Accuphase, Pass Labs, Luxman, and McIntosh. These are expensive, yes, but very well engineered and not tweaky ultra-esoteric products.

So really, I wanna know if it's worth selling the S4700s and get the 4365s instead. Not serious here at the moment, just curious.

Thank you, I appreciate that. I want the best sound, but it has to please me first and appeal to my tastes.
    S4700 owner.

Obsolete
    So really, I wanna know if it's worth selling the S4700s and get the 4365s instead. Not serious here at the moment, just curious.
    You are going to have to hear the 4365.

Thumbs up

Ok, thanks.
    S4700 owner.

I hope the day is very soon. I would love to get a pair of the 4429's for my critical listening space. That would then drive me to upgrade all my electronics too!
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Levinson really doesn't do anything for me. ...
    I'm in that camp as well. I had a No. 383 integrated for a short while some years ago. It seemed as if ML was going for a tube-like sound but it came off as dry and somewhat lifeless to me. Not to bash ML, because I haven't heard any of their products since then and they may well not have the same gestalt, I don't know.

Anyway, carry on!

Name:  23_21.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  133.3 KBName:  24_22.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  137.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by bigyank View Post
    I hope the day is very soon. I would love to get a pair of the 4429's for my critical listening space. That would then drive me to upgrade all my electronics too!
    Me too!

Are you saying you really like them? More than the 4700? Would you say JBL's second best speaker except for the M2?

My point was that I don't think studios are buying 4429's, rather they are buying JBL Professional monitors from the JBL Professional catalog. I suppose I could be wrong. And yeah, I agree, I personally prefer the 4429. One of my all time favorite "bookshelf" systems.
    Yeah, studios are buying self powered two ways (just like M2's, only cheaper!). I really like the fact that 4429's have a 7K crossover to the tweeter. I hate not being able to hear tweeters, as I'm used to 2405's at 8k, which you can hear down the hall. I just hope the mids are as good as in the L300s.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    Are you saying you really like them? More than the 4700? Would you say JBL's second best speaker except for the M2?
    Good question!
    S4700 owner.

Quote Originally Posted by LowPhreak View Post
    I'm in that camp as well. I had a No. 383 integrated for a short while some years ago. It seemed as if ML was going for a tube-like sound but it came off as dry and somewhat lifeless to me. Not to bash ML, because I haven't heard any of their products since then and they may well not have the same gestalt, I don't know.

Anyway, carry on!

Name:  23_21.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  133.3 KBName:  24_22.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  137.5 KB
    Well, I have heard Levinson over the past 25 or so years, and despite the several changes in ownership, the sound is as you described; dry, lifeless, and dark. I can't say for the stuff from the 70s to early 80s when Levinson the man was still the head honcho, and the late Tom Colangelo was the head designer. Anyway, the company in it's various incarnations has been around for over 40 years, so I guess they're doing something right. But imo, there's better amps and preamps out there to be had that'll bring the JBLs to life.
    S4700 owner.

Thread Information