Thread: I am going to put a LE14H in a set of 4315s. Need advice

I am going to put a LE14H in a set of 4315s. Need advice

Hi all

Just as the title states.

I will have two sets of 4315's soon. Full alnico and full ferrite, I will have plenty of spare drivers and intend to keep one set original.

I understand the LE14 requires a larger cutout on the baffle but besides this will the crossover need/benefit from any tweaking? Or can it be regarded as suitable replacement.

The efficiency of the 2203 and LE14H is the same from memory. It is crossed over at 400hz in the 4315.

Thanks in advance.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by kelossus View Post
    Will the crossover need/benefit from any tweaking?
    No
    Or can it be regarded as suitable replacement.
    Yes

Having trouble finding LE14H's.

Can the 2235h or 2231h be considered a replacement also? No crossover change, just a baffle mod?

Having trouble finding LE14H's.

Can the 2235h or 2231h be considered a replacement also? No crossover change, just a baffle mod?
    Nope. Different behavior completely, particularly >800hz.

Find the LE14s, or assume you'll need to change the XO.

I also think the 4315 box volume is too small for the 2235. That volume does well for the LE14 series of woofers but is on the small side for the 2235.

Although I like this idea of using the LE14 instead of the 2203 (and would do it myself if I were building my own boxes) I have to ask why not stick with the 2203? The 4315 isn't too common, and once that baffle hole is cut larger...it's not un-done too easily.

I have two sets so I am not concerned about modifying one. The set I am modifying has been completely restored, I had the veneer removed and the cabinets had started to pull away at the mitres. The cabinet maker routed the old corners out and put in a fresh piece of timber. Really not happy with the blue they supposedly matched for the baffles. I might get the woofer cutout enlarged and paint the fronts black. I will still have the 4315B's in immaculate original condition, with a spare set of 2203a's.

The bass is so dry on the 4315's. At times the 128H's can outperform them, they dont have the punch of the 2203's but have more rounded thicker bass.

Maybe it is unfair to compare as they are in totally different speakers with a much smaller cabinet volume (4411s).

I might have found a set of LE14a's reconed with LE14h's. Will post pictures of them once done, as well as my some of my other vintage JBL's.

Any update or pics of your project? How did it work out?
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Update

The guy I was getting the LE14's off ended up pulling out of the sale. (Well he just stopped communication all together)

I ended up getting new crossovers built using Wax Coils and Modern Poly Caps. Also lowered to the crossover frequency of the 2108 to about 100hz.

A huge improvement in my opinion. I really wish I had've replaced the 2405's with 2404 so I could lower the crossover point between the LE5 and the 2405. I find the 4315's a little peaky in the upper range but they are still enjoyable.

The 2108 is a beast of a driver. Ended up getting a set of 2203 recones and 2108 recones of ebay at the beginning of the year, how lucky was that? They are now good to go till the end of this century.

The guy I was getting the LE14's off ended up pulling out of the sale. (Well he just stopped communication all together)

I ended up getting new crossovers built using Wax Coils and Modern Poly Caps. Also lowered to the crossover frequency of the 2108 to about 100hz.

A huge improvement in my opinion. I really wish I had've replaced the 2405's with 2404 so I could lower the crossover point between the LE5 and the 2405. I find the 4315's a little peaky in the upper range but they are still enjoyable.

The 2108 is a beast of a driver. Ended up getting a set of 2203 recones and 2108 recones of ebay at the beginning of the year, how lucky was that? They are now good to go till the end of this century.
    Were the recones the actual drivers redone, or recone kits for your drivers? And where in the world did they show up?

Oh, and let's see some pics of your restored beauties, they are not often seen, not even here on LH.

Quote Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
    Were the recones the actual drivers redone, or recone kits for your drivers? And where in the world did they show up?
    The recones haven't been done as there is currently no need. All the drivers are in perfect original condition.

The recones popped up on Ebay US but were located in Portugal. An old JBL dealer was letting go off all of his stock. Ended up getting all four recones to Australia for around $1000 AUD. Might seem like a lot to others but I was happy to pay it.

I should post pictures but I am worried as I have painted the baffles of the 4315B's black. I had the cabinets reveneered and the baffles resprayed but was extremely unhappy with the blue that was supposedly "matched". Ended up spraying them a flat black.

Still have the 4315A's which have the original blue baffle and veneer. Great condition.

Picked up a set of L200's a month ago for $900 which is a bargain in Australia.

Have a set of genuine 2235 recone kits and D16R2421 diaphragms to go in 2225 baskets and 2425 compression drivers respectively.

Will eventually bump out the back of the cabinet for the longer horn and add the 2405.

Not sure whether I build Giskards 4333A networks or the Nelson Pass ones.

Thread Information