Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: log in problem

and again! Seems I go to some other window or don't do something here for a couple minutes and Bam - I'm logged out! Wth!!

Anyone help explain what the ___ is going on???????

Calling earth!!!! Hello???

My original post was over 1-1/2 years ago and no one has explained or tried helping with this problem!!

Anyone else having this problem????

Well well, how interesting - apparently someone (??) has fixed the problem now (as of now) but without contacting me about it OR posting anything here either - WT__??

For me that problem has always been not checking the remember me button on login.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

So let me ask - what exactly is the function of the "remember me" button? Is it merely (as I suspect) to remember you and automatically fill in your I.D. and password or is its function to keep you logged in until you manually log out?

Other forums I've used let you specify how many minutes you will remain logged in and none have this problem I'm asking about (being repeatedly logged out).

Hate to have to say this but now I wonder how long before this question gets answered

Quote Originally Posted by sonofagun View Post
    So let me ask - what exactly is the function of the "remember me" button? Is it merely (as I suspect) to remember you and automatically fill in your I.D. and password or is its function to keep you logged in until you manually log out?

Other forums I've used let you specify how many minutes you will remain logged in and none have this problem I'm asking about (being repeatedly logged out).

Hate to have to say this but now I wonder how long before this question gets answered
    Here you are @ just 45 minutes: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/searc...ember+me%22%7D
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

Anyone else having this problem????
    Nope ... Been a member here many years.
    I logged for many years from work with a windows computer and Netscape and later Firefox,
    logged in from home with a Mac and Firefox, even log in with Safari from my phone -
    seems to remember me and keep me logged in fine.

Are you logging in directly or do you use one of the forum software tools like Tap-A-Talk?
    Some of the folks at AK using Tap-A-Talk had problems - and there are security issues with that software.

Ah - just read your old posts from Oct 2014 ... [btw - How long ago WAS college??]

Are you still using Win-XP and an AT&T phone modem or whatever it is you were referring to back then??
    Not even sure what kind of browser is available in Win-XP -
    some early edition of Internet Explorer?

and I was a physics major in college but have grown tired of science & technology*
    *Can't keep up with it anymore - esp the older you get!

**Or maybe because of it?

P.S. I use an older second hand desktop (Windows xp) connected via AT&T by phone line - both give me trouble - sometimes its almost like being on dial up!
    Wikipedia says :
    The Windows XP operating system was released for retail sale on October 25, 2001. (nearly 15 years ago - almost 30 in Internet years)

Extended support for Windows XP ended on April 8, 2014, after which the operating system ceased receiving further support or security updates to most users. As of March 2016, Windows XP desktop market share is 7.4%
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by yggdrasil View Post
    Went there but that doesn't help - have no idea what all that is about as I am NOT a computer geek!

I just need my question answered simply and directly, thank you.

I am not a computer geek either so there is much I don't know.

I believe the "remember me" button here is the same as the "keep me logged in" button on other vbulliten sites.

Barry.

Thanks but I'd rather this NOT drag on with others "guessing" as to its function.

Now to Heather - thanks for trying to help me.

I log on direct over my AT&T phone line all properly installed - with filters and I only have (can afford) land line and internet costing about $115/mo (and rising ). I am using a newer Dell computer with Windows 7 and Chrome browser if that helps.

Just had to log back in after doing some other work for only a few minutes so I suspect the problem is back again - quite aggravating. From the link the super moderator posted, looks like there are lots of problems out there!

Never heard of tap-a talk nor do I have any idea as to what "V-bulletin" is (and please don't waste your time trying to explain it to me). Can/will you explain what the function of "remember me" is?

Just had a thought - maybe I should post my phone # so members can talk direct to me to better understand me but maybe not such a good idea (posting a ph. # here) ?

I was trying to come accross with some humility, not a know it all.

Vbulletin is the web fomat of this site, and many others like DIY audio. The virtual buttons can be configured for fuction as well as how they read. "Remember me" here is the same as "keep me logged" in on DIY.

I have not had to log in here or on DIY in months if not years on my iPhone, Win7 laptop, or any of my three Win10 desktops and I can read something here on this site on my phone while typing an answer on this site on a computer.

But if I were you, I wouldn't try it. It just may solve the problem, and what fun would that be?

Out!
    Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    I was trying to come accross with some humility, not a know it all.

Vbulletin is the web fomat of this site, and many others like DIY audio. The virtual buttons can be configured for fuction as well as how they read. "Remember me" here is the same as "keep me logged" in on DIY.

I have not had to log in here or on DIY in months if not years on my iPhone, Win7 laptop, or any of my three Win10 desktops and I can read something here on this site on my phone while typing an answer on this site on a computer.

But if I were you, I wouldn't try it. It just may solve the problem, and what fun would that be?

Out!
    Barry.
    All I can say is ...HUH?

but no need to reply - I just want/need a clear answer - that's all I'm asking. Out (for now).

"Remember me" sets a persistent cookie in addition to the normal session cookie. The normal sesson cookie allows you log in and browse, then goes away when you leave the site or log out. The persistent cookie will allow you to be automatically logged in the next time you visit, so long as you just close your browsing session and don't manually log out. But you need to have "accept cookies" enabled in your browser, some people don't like to accept cookies as the idea of cookies tracking them is unnerving.

Long story short - if you don't want to log in with every visit, the check "remember me" or never close your connection to the site.

Thanks. Well I guess I was correct when I said ...it is merely (as I suspect) to remember you and

automatically fill in your I.D. and password and not to keep you logged in until you manually log out.

Or was I?

Now to Heather - thanks for trying to help me.

I log on direct over my AT&T phone line all properly installed - with filters and I only have (can afford) land line and internet costing about $115/mo (and rising ). I am using a newer Dell computer with Windows 7 and Chrome browser if that helps.

Just had to log back in after doing some other work for only a few minutes so I suspect the problem is back again - quite aggravating. From the link the super moderator posted, looks like there are lots of problems out there!

Never heard of tap-a talk nor do I have any idea as to what "V-bulletin" is (and please don't waste your time trying to explain it to me). Can/will you explain what the function of "remember me" is?

Just had a thought - maybe I should post my phone # so members can talk direct to me to better understand me but maybe not such a good idea (posting a ph. # here) ?
    Forget Tap-a-talk ... you don't have it so its not important here ..

Vbulletin is the website/Forum software used here at Lansing forum -
    Other sites may have the newer version 5 (which has some issues),
    some use older ver 3.x - but here at Lansing Forum they use Version 4.22

If you want to Talk to folks -
    have them PM you to get your phone number do NOT post it on the open pages here!

This site and some others use a little code thing called a "cookie" your browser keeps track of cookies,
    and should keep you logged in by checking to see if you have a cookie for this site as you come and go.
    If you have something in Chrome (your browser) set to "delete cookies", then there is no way for your browser
    to keep you logged in.

There are other ways to not have your login info available every time you come here,
    but lets start with the one thing (browser settings), check that, and go to other things as needed.
    A nice, logical approach - 1 thing at a time.

I do not have Chrome on my machine - so perhaps someone that DOES use Chrome can compare notes with you ...

Most browsers usually have a "privacy setting" - I use Firefox and it has a Preference screen called "Privacy"
    that is current set to "Remember History" - so it remembers login cookies and things like that.

You can look at your settings in Chrome,
    and as long as you just hit CANCEL once you look at them, you should not change anything or cause a problem.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information