Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is "Real"?

I 100% concure. "The race" from Yellow is fantastic. In fact, most of that two-man band's recording and mastering is fantastic. I've been a fan since their debut and they always stroke me as original, creative and Swiss-like meticulous in their recordings. and they have that theatrical sense in their music. "La Habanera" is great two. Percussions and brass are top notch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEwFLle1FWA

The question is not if it sounds “real” but if it sounds real enough. Many statements above fit into this assessment. What is our own personal reality against which we judge the playback on our (or other’s) equipment?

I have experience in my youth with band and orchestra. But I didn’t have to play an instrument to experience live music and sound propagation. In college I worked nights waiting tables in a large dining room that had a piano and bass combo (drummer on weekends). On some days the pianist would arrive early as we were setting up to tune the piano. To some, listening through a piano tuning session could be maddening but I found it interesting listening to the chords as they moved in and out of tune.

Today I find the recording of the piano the most stringent test of reproduced sound when I sit down and think “does that sound real?” Can I walk into another room in the house and imagine a piano being played live in my house? Does the recording and playback have the same transient ring from the hammer on the strings? Does the decay hang in the air? Does the sound pressure produced convey the same power of a live piano? Do the chords have coherency? Can I detect the subtleties in how the instrument is played? I don’t want to beat myself up, or my wallet, constantly chasing what is absolute reality. I am less concerned where the piano is on the stage or what seat I imagine myself sitting in a venue. For me, it’s more about dynamic range combined with impulse control and tonal accuracy. Does is sound real enough?

So, what is real enough to me is most relevant to me. To those who enjoy house, techno, or other types of non-traditional music I try not to dismiss out-of-hand their ability to judge what is real to them based upon what I use for a sense of reality. I would hope, though, that everyone has the opportunity to experience acoustic instruments played without powered reinforcement to have some sense of natural sound propagation and what to listen for at home.
    David F
    San Jose

Piano is my go to as well. Another sound source that will catch you by surprise is applause. A very broad band impusive noise that we all know well. It suprises me how many DIY systems and big SR systems don't do that one well.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

The problem is that recording piano properly is not always what happens. There are plenty of badly recorded piano pieces out there but the good ones really shine on a good system. I think it was piano recordings that convinced me of the Nak Dragon's superiority over all other cassette decks way back when I bought mine, new.

Whatever your opinion of Windham Hill Records, IMHO they knew how to record piano.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Hey, Phil,

I agree with you, and have long enjoyed my Windham Hill recordings of well played pianos!! Very nice, indeed! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Hi Steve;

I am excited to hear your system again, it has been a while.

I too love the dynamic capabilties of horns. Allow me to recomend a crazy tune that for those of us who have a system that will play run and hide loud, is the audio equivalent of driving real fast. Its called The Race, by Yellow, the same guys that did the Oh Yeah song used in Ferris Bueller. There are several mixes of it and when I get to the shop I will edit this and identify it properly.

It has real V8 race car fly by, lots of percussion, lots of big brass and sax and plenty of synth bass and other noise.

It is by far the funnest OMG song I have ever heard.

All the best,
    Barry.
    This sounds like a recording I should own. Please update when you have the details on this recording.

Thanks,
    Paul

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    What is "real"? I'll tell you what's real...

"Hi-Fi is All a Scam - Roger Skoff Finally Admits All"

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue75/skoff.htm

Now that's REALLY real!

Maron Horonzakz
    ROGER SKOFF IS CORRECT... But I still seek the holy grail

Quote Originally Posted by LowPhreak View Post
    What is "real"? I'll tell you what's real...

"Hi-Fi is All a Scam - Roger Skoff Finally Admits All"

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue75/skoff.htm

Now that's REALLY real!
    What's really sad is that some people won't recognize that as satire.

I have just put my DIY system with the 1200FE/2344+2420 together yesterday and was just thinking that this piano recording I'm playing now sounded more lifelike than I have been used to. I went to a concert a few weeks ago of this piece, by the same pianist, only on another location than the recording that I now play was made. Funny then to see these posts about piano recordings being a reference. According to most sources piano is indeed the hardest to record and reproduce faithfully.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    What's really sad is that some people won't recognize that as satire.
    "THERE IS NO SOUND. Our measurements have proven it!"

And I thought buying really expensive gear was going to bring Jimi Hendrix back to life. Damn!

Widget

I have just put my DIY system with the 1200FE/2344+2420 together yesterday and was just thinking that this piano recording I'm playing now sounded more lifelike than... a real piano.

Sorry, I was still mulling over the previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by frank23 View Post
    I have just put my DIY system with the 1200FE/2344+2420 together yesterday and was just thinking that this piano recording I'm playing now sounded more lifelike than I have been used to. I went to a concert a few weeks ago of this piece, by the same pianist, only on another location than the recording that I now play was made. Funny then to see these posts about piano recordings being a reference. According to most sources piano is indeed the hardest to record and reproduce faithfully.
    I do agree about piano being extremely difficult to both record and to play back in a way that sounds "real".

When I hear a well recorded piano through my system it really puts a smile on my face. OK, the music needs to be compelling too.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    . . . .
    OK, the music needs to be compelling too.
    Right--no Ferrante and Teischer!
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    "THERE IS NO SOUND. Our measurements have proven it!"

And I thought buying really expensive gear was going to bring Jimi Hendrix back to life. Damn!

Widget

Uber gear may be why some have seen Elvis. Why not Jimi?

Quote Originally Posted by Champster View Post
    This sounds like a recording I should own. Please update when you have the details on this recording.

Thanks,
    Paul

Yello "Flag" is the album. "One Second" is the album with "Oh Yeah" and it is just as good if not a hair better IMO!!

May I suggest any of their albums. IMO they are all quite fantastic. I have been listening to them since the mid 80's and they are surely one of my go to bands when I want to show off some particular aspect of my system.

Oh and BTW my speakers are more real than your speakers!!!

Just kidding!!

Carry on.
    Always fun learning more.......

Thread Information