Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DD66000 crossover

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    The general consensus seems to be they need to be "re-voiced" for western ears. A three way electronic crossover, a parametric EQ and some port extensions (or plugs) will allow you to make them sound however you like.
    I don't think there are very many people who actually care.

I'd love to find out.

But then I'm in a small room anyway so they'd probably be fine as they are.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I don't think there are very many people who actually care.
    Not sure if they care, but there certainly are a lot of people with opinions.

Having lived with them in my home for the last 2 and half years I am pretty familiar with them and have my own opinions.

Widget

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Not sure if they care, but there certainly are a lot of people with opinions.

Having lived with them in my home for the last 2 and half years I am pretty familiar with them and have my own opinions.
    I meant actual owners of the systems. My understanding is that there were a small number world wide who wanted to upgrade the low frequency transducers but the last I heard Harman wasn't all that interested in allowing it to happen.

I guess it will be easier for us with "replicas" of Everest doing experiment than for owners of original speakers. At least I know I feel better "messing around" with a replica instead of a $60.000 speaker

My current speakers are 20-22k +-3db and it would be great haveing almost the same from Everst but to achieve this I will need to lower the tuning of the port quite a bit and also ad EQ, but I will be tried!

It would be fantastic finding a pair of obtainable 476Be but in the meantime the 2451BE will have to do.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    I guess it will be easier for us with "replicas" of Everest doing experiment than for owners of original speakers. At least I know I feel better "messing around" with a replica instead of a $60.000 speaker
    I can understand that.
    Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    My current speakers are 20-22k +-3db and it would be great haveing almost the same from Everst but to achieve this I will need to lower the tuning of the port quite a bit and also ad EQ, but I will be tried!
    Not a whole lot different than what JBL Professional did with the M2 (2216Nd) versus JBL Consumer and the S4700 (2216Nd).

Did you read my discussion on the M2 versus the S4700 and where that 2 dB drop in efficiency with the M2 went? In short, a -8 dB high pass shelf with a Q of 5.5 starting at 135 Hz coupled with the +6 dB baffle step results in the 2 dB drop in efficiency. There is also the + 4.7 dB boost at 21.5 Hz with a Q of 1.77 to fill in the bottom octave. I've personally found no reason at all to tune the 1501AL-2 that low in my situation. I am perfectly happy with them tuned around 28 Hz, which is roughly only 2 to 4 Hz lower than the stock Everest II. I do have a +4.5 dB boost centered at that 28 Hz frequency and I really like the result. The addition of subs would be ludicrous in my environment which is why I'm not crying about not being able to get a pair of the low Fs 1501AL-1's for potential use as subs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Santa came early

Name:  xo.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  158.6 KB

And you must have been very very good this year!

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

if you cut at 12db down beginning at 20khz it will only bring efficiency 12db less 1 octave lower, so -12db at 10khz to join the efficiency of the rest, so it be flat.oups i think i respond to the first post ,im new here ,i have to make habit that first is last.

Thread Information