Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has any feedback on JBL's lower or middle line speakers?

Who has any feedback on JBL's lower or middle line speakers?

Like the S312II? Anyone heard them/own them, and have opinions?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Actually, I'm also curious about this line, too. Seems like someone has them for their avatar.
    JBL
    E50CH-Z

$349 a pair on harman audio, as remanufactured. Not necessarily interested in buying some, just wondering how they stack up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Not bad at all...

I have a pair of the S36AW's outside and I was actually quite impressed with their clarity. I have a few friends with S38/S28/SCenter Home Theater setups and they are far better than anything in their price range. However, they are not at the level of the older gear that is talked about in this forum. If you want something new and you don't want to pay a lot, the new JBL stuff works well and sounds great. Just don't expect it to sound as good something starting with a 43 or a 44....

What IS killer is the Synthesys and Performance Series new stuff. I heard a friend's HT setup in LA over the weekend and was blown away. This was part of a $100k whole-house setup but the media room was the best. It was all Performance Series speakers with Synthesys electronics. Best HT I've yet heard....

jblnut

Here's a review of the little brother to the S-312, the S-38. I like this little speaker a lot, but I'm not impressed by the cheap vinyl finish and plastic trim. These have been discontinued for a while, but they are still common on ebay and I think that you can still get them direct from Harman too.
    http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/365/

qxlxp
    i did a S310,S36,SCenter,svs sub hometheater system/xmas present for my dad which i thought was really, really excellent for the money. i listened to the S36's for a couple of weeks in my room. not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but i didn't feel a real urgency to get them out of my system fast.

the whole thing is driven by a low end onkyo recv'r and can play loud with relatively good dynamics.

i haven't heard the northridge series (the studio series has been for the most part discontinued), but they always struct me as being a step down from the studio series.

Alex Lancaster

Smile

The S312īs work great for the price, much better than L100īs, 4311īs, etc.

Re: Not bad at all...

Originally posted by jblnut

What IS killer is the Synthesys and Performance Series new stuff. I heard a friend's HT setup in LA over the weekend and was blown away. This was part of a $100k whole-house setup but the media room was the best. It was all Performance Series speakers with Synthesys electronics. Best HT I've yet heard....

jblnut
    Yeah, I may have to work on getting a pair of the PT800 top boxes. Don't need the sub module.

Obsolete
    Me too! It's a tough call right now with so many goodies available!

Originally posted by Giskard
    Me too! It's a tough call right now with so many goodies available!
    I haven't been oblivious to your occasional comments concerning the performance of new products versus the old trusty ones.....
    Looks like something like the PT800 would be smarter for me than, say, an LSR, given the price differential, or than a larger format monitor.

I just noticed that the PT800 and PS1400 are in the discontinued section of the Harman audio store. They are still listed on the main section of the main JBL site though. Maybe they are going to kill this line when the array series is introduced?

Originally posted by Don C
    I just noticed that the PT800 and PS1400 are in the discontinued section of the Harman audio store. They are still listed on the main section of the main JBL site though. Maybe they are going to kill this line when the array series is introduced?
    Dunno. Maybe Giskard has a clue. However, somehow I wouldn't think that the Project Array series would be priced as low as the Performance Series, would you?

Originally posted by Giskard
    This stuff is going to get wiped! NO Project Array photos or posts!
    Huh? Wasn't this rendering I posted in the public domain? It was from some magazine or website, no?

With Project Array being pushed back into mid 2005, we have been asked by JBL not to release photos or data about that system until the new release date. I know that there are all kinds of articles already out there on the web, including numerous photos. Regardless, I agreed to respect JBL's wishes on this issue and I am therefore restricting the posting of Project Array data on this forum.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Obsolete
    Originally posted by Don C
    I just noticed that the PT800 and PS1400 are in the discontinued section of the Harman audio store. They are still listed on the main section of the main JBL site though.
    Look at the current price for two PT800's and two PS1400 - $4,338

Look at the price for the L212 system back in 1981 - $2,200 plus $824 for the second B212 = $3,024

Not bad! JBL has managed to come up with a "totally superior system"* without "breaking the bank".

* based on comments from the designer of both systems

Seconded....

Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but...

I was VERY impressed with the PT800/Synthesys HT I heard over the weekend. I have a lot of classic JBL gear in my house and I was prepared to be underwhelmed by the new stuff. I couldn't have been more wrong. The PT800's are fabulously clear and image very well. We may well be talking about finding clean, used PT800's on ebay 10 or 20 years from now. If you can afford them and you wanted to make a very nice 2/4/5.1 system right now I don't think you can go wrong with these. Espeically at the close-out pricing going on.

Makes me wish I had my attic finished and ready for that HT setup I keep dreaming about....

jblnut

Thread Information