Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4344 BUILD, and some questions for the pros :)

Quote Originally Posted by jlwitherell View Post
    But what about the resistance change being in a parallel circuit (admittedly, within a crossover network I don't know how this actually would measure out). But, in true parallel the total resistance is the reciprocal of the added reciprocals of the various resistors: For four 8 ohm resistors in parallel, the circuit would read 2 ohms. 1/8 + 1/8 + 1/8 + 1/8 = 4/8 (reciprocal) = 8/4 = 2.
    I do not follow you here. ?

1/8 + 1/8 + 1/8 + 1/8 = 4/8 (reciprocal) = 8/4 = 2. Correct.

Edit.
    The 3 MOhm resistors are not really part of the crossover. They provide only a small voltage to the capacitors.
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

I've read for charge coupled designs that anywhere from 2-6 Mohms is OK. For the crossover below, looking at the 2421 circuit, there are 3 spots where the 3Mohm resistors will be placed. To me it looks like they will be a kind of parallel circuit (but I honestly don't know how this measures within a crossover with caps and coils, etc., hence my question). If they are "acting" like a true parallel circuit, then their actual resistance would be 1 MOhm, based on how resistance is calculated in parallel. (this doesn't even include the other circuits with the many other 3Mohm resistors which would(?) lower the effect overall resistance even more?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Obsolete
    It is easier to use the resistor and diode method G.T. switched to several years ago.

The diodes are 1N4935 and the resistors are 10 k ohm +- 10% 1/4 watt metal or carbon film.

This negates the use of batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    It is easier to use the resistor and diode method G.T. switched to several years ago.

The diodes are 1N4935 and the resistors are 10 k ohm +- 10% 1/4 watt metal or carbon film.

This negates the use of batteries.
    Whoa back the truck up! I haven't heard this before. Can you explain a little more? Where does the charging come from and how would these be connected??

Obsolete
    Example:

Thanks, forgive my limited knowledge. Is this right: The "R101" is the 10 k Ohm resistor which is 1/4 watt metal/carbon in series with the diode? where does the other terminal on the diode connect, what is the "A", which end of diode connects to resistor? Also, how does this charge the caps? LOL, sorry again, I have just enough electrical knowledge to be dangerous and thanks again for your help

4313B, charge coupling with no 9V...what kind of sorcery is this? A=Amp or Particle Accelerator?
    I built my modules tonight, hope they aren't wrong Had to reinforce those rubbish pcb's with some epoxy glue.

The connection to the negative speaker terminal and to the capacitors is of course missing, it will be added after I get my component layout done.

Sorry, couldn't help myself with my old label maker

4365 network cc

Example:
    Hi
    May be some ideas from 4365 network would helpful.

regards
    ivica

I seem to miss the point of this solution. When we use a 9V battery we have a constant voltage on the cap but in the later design there is no constant voltage and the charge is dependent on the output level of the amp?

BTW, i used 3.3meg resistors and after each resistor the remaing voltage is around 2-2.2V (the battery itself measures 9.20V).
    So the cap is actually only loaded with 2.15V, is this correct then?

1) there is no battery to replace or corrode.

2) what is the input impedance of your test meter? ~1Mohm?

Not sure that I'm sold on the diode method, if I wanted easy, I probably wouldn't be building these in the first place - not to mention I have to get the girlfriend to let me put these in the family room, now that ain't easy!

This guy had some interesting points, and doesn't agree with the diode method (again, I NOT a crossover expert).

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...t-battery.html

Obsolete
    This guy had some interesting points, and doesn't agree with the diode method (again, I NOT a crossover expert).

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...t-battery.html
    G.T. couldn't care less what that guy posts.

The cool thing about all this is that no one is locked into doing any of it. Use whichever method you prefer, or neither.

I'd personally go so far as to charge-couple the lone protection cap in the M2.

G.T. couldn't care less what that guy posts.

The cool thing about all this is that no one is locked into doing any of it. Use whichever method you prefer, or neither.

I'd personally go so far as to charge-couple the lone protection cap in the M2.
    I don't know what you mean by "lone protection cap in the M2," lol. I told you I don't know much I take it you don't agree (with previous linked article) that using the rectifier to amp approach can cause noise issues without other filtering (or that it is insignificant)? I have no preference because I have no experience, but, I already have all the components for a fully CC'd network, so I prefer to stay committed to that. The vast majority of CC'd scenarios I've read about use the battery. If the diode/resistor is the best way I wonder why more people don't do it?? Or do they, and I just failed to see?

Obsolete
    I don't know what you mean by "lone protection cap in the M2," lol.
    The M2 loudspeaker only has one capacitor (it is an active filtered system) and that is a protection capacitor between the driving amp and the compression driver.
    I already have all the components for a fully CC'd network, so I prefer to stay committed to that.
    I can't imagine you being disappointed.

Ok, another newbie question. Anyone have a good link to good 3mOhm resistors? I picked some up locally but the leads are hair thin and I'd like something a little more robust if possible. Martin's above appear to be beefier, but maybe it's just the pic?

Thread Information