Thread: Advice sought for JBL 2215b vs JBL 2205b

Advice sought for JBL 2215b vs JBL 2205b

Hi everyone
    I am new to this forum and hope that you might be able to help. I am in the process of putting together a two way monitor for home listening, using 2420 drivers on 350Hz Le Cleach horns and 3110 crossover. I have been looking for a nice pair of 2215b here in Europe, but to no avail. I now have the possibility of picking up a nice pair of 2205b instead. Looking at the specs of both drivers, I think that this particular system should work, only the 2205b might not go so low as the 2215b... I would appreciate your insight on the matter, including enclosure recommendations.
    Many thanks for your thoughts
    Inamelotone

Good Morning,

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are wanting to do, but did you mean to cross your 2420 over to the 2215b at 350HZ?? I believe that's WAY too low for the application you have in mind, considering the gear you wish to use. I have used 2420's for years, and they need to be crossed no lower then around 800HZ, and 1,200HZ is even better, and much sweeter sounding, IMHO. You will destroy the diaphragms in your 2420's if you cross them that low, if you turn up your system more than a whisper's loudness. If you want to cross that low, you're going to have to go with a much larger driver than the 2420. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are wanting to do, but did you mean to cross your 2420 over to the 2215b at 350HZ??
    You are... he said he was planning on using a JBL 3110 network which is an 800 Hz network. This frequency will be perfect on that horn.

I've used both the 2215 and the 2205 with the 2420... I actually prefer the LE14 series woofers. The LE14H-3 is very nice and maybe more available. If your goal is high sensitivity or high SPLs, then I suppose the 14" woofers are not such a good suggestion.

The 2205 has very little low end and even the 2215 has a substantial roll off. The LE14 series actually have a more extended bottom end and just plain sound good.

Your goal is a two way... the 2420 is naturally rolled off up top. I believe there was a later version of the 3110 that had some HF compensation built in. You may want to try something like that. If you did try one of the 14" woofers, you would need to pad the 2420 down a bit further than the stock three position switch. (I am not a big fan of these vintage crossover networks. I would consider building your own.)

Widget

Hi, Widget,

Ahhhhh, "comes the dawn"! I get it, now. Thanks for pointing out what I missed. Much appreciated. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Thank you both, appreciate your input.
    The 3110 crossovers I have at my disposal do have some HF adjustment so I think I will definitely give them a try initially.
    Cheerio for now
    Inamelotone

Quote Originally Posted by Inamelotone View Post
    Thank you both, appreciate your input.
    The 3110 crossovers I have at my disposal do have some HF adjustment so I think I will definitely give them a try initially.
    Cheerio for now
    Inamelotone
    I did a little more research... the version with the HF boost is the 3110A. There is a three position toggle switch labeled HF boost.

Widget

2205B advice

Hi, Im seeking information on the 2205B woofer. Mainly the specifications..ie Technical data: Vas. Qes. Qts. Qms. Fs. ....

I relized tgis post is old, but maybe resurect to source data!

Thanks, Francis

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher View Post
    Hi, Im seeking information on the 2205B woofer. Mainly the specifications..ie Technical data: Vas. Qes. Qts. Qms. Fs. ....

I relized tgis post is old, but maybe resurect to source data!

Thanks, Francis
    You could find some useful data here:

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Thi...Parameters.pdf

But the 2205B ? isnt listed there. But look at the 2215A and B you could find some hint whats differ the two from each other i.e. between an A and B (only LE and RE I guess)
    Whats your DCR for the 2205B?
    Flodstroem

Thread Information