Thread: JBL C34 vs C35 Enclosures Advantges/Disadvantages

JBL C34 vs C35 Enclosures Advantges/Disadvantages

Greetings JuBaL's! I have been amassing a small collection of JBL drivers over the years and think it's about time to start putting some of them to use. The drivers on my radar at the moment are a pristine pair of D130's with consecutive serial numbers, just the D130's (I am on the lookout for 075 and 2600's to complete the 030 system) and would like to build enclosures for them.

Researching enclosures, I'm leaning toward a vertical enclosure rather than a "lo-boy".

So I'm wondering what the advantages/disadvantages (if any) are of a horn loaded enclosure (C34) and a bass reflex enclosure (C35)?

I'll take your responses off the air...

Hi, since there is no reply from anyone, I will share my experience with my recently setup 4530 Scoop. The bass from the back folded horn is not as pronounced as a bass reflex design. If you are going for a heavy bass sound, go for bass reflex designs. But if you are looking for clean articulate bass sound the back loaded horn may be better. The Tannoy Westminsters are back loaded horn design, which is why despite its spec of 18 hz, it doesn't sound and feel like 18 hz. On the contrary, the 4345 is spec at 32 hz but sounds like 20 hz in room. Hope this is useful.

I'd put the D130 in as large a cabinet as you can. The C35 is what I've used. I would think the loaded boxes would benefit from the 130A more than the D130. The D just won't go as low as the A, no matter what you do, but they sound so nice in the C35 that I'd stop there and enjoy what they do best.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thanks! C35 it is then. Much easier to build.

Thread Information