Thread: Rattling Buzzing sound from B460 2245H BX63

Rattling Buzzing sound from B460 2245H BX63

I just got this setup so not much experience yet.

The problem might just be due to an under powered amp I'm using for the B460. It's just what I have at the moment. It puts out only about 150W in mono bridged, (Halfer) so I'm thinking it might not be enough. Well the specs say that bridged mono puts out more than 150W, whatever that is. At higher volumes, there's a buzz/rattle sound that is not from the mounting or cabinet, nothing rolling around in there.

Using L300's already, powered by an MC402 mcintosh. Using the bypass on the BX63 xover, it seems to dial in just fine, goes lower than the L300's, appears to be working OK. No rubbing when manually moving the cone. I pulled the speaker and placed on floor and still does it, maybe even a little more. If I sort of place my hand on the cone while it's doing this, it mostly goes away. I don't really have a way to use just the MC402 to see if it's the amp, but my suspicion is that I think the 2245H needs lots of power. Rated at 200 watts minimum, I don't think that's even enough when cranking it. I have a JBL 6260 on the way that does ~660W bridged mono.

So I guess the question would be, is this the kind of behavior a sub might produce when underpowered?

Any insights suggestion welcome, thanks

If the driver does this when out of the cabinet, its not a good sign. Check that the VC wires are not rubbing against the cone. Check the suspension carefully for any split or crack. But odds are that there's some kind of crud in the VC gap. People have run the B460 with a lot less power than 150 before.

Check that the lead wires don't hit the frame when the cone moves much. (look on the back-side of the terminal, between the frame and cone)

If you use it in a domestic environment 150W could/should be sufficient.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

I would also check to see if the foam surround has a slit/crack around the edge. This can cause the sound you are describing as well. The foam does fail on these drivers every 10-15 or so years.
    Always fun learning more.......

Thread Information