Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who would you hang ...

Coming late to this thread...

I'd definitely like to hang with the gang at Bell Labs who conceived and executed the Symposium on Auditory Perspective in 1933 (Fletcher, Snow, Wente, Thuras, etc.). These guys were truly venturing out into the great audio unknown, and their work formed the basis for multi-channel audio reproduction with a goal of reproducing sound that appears to exist in dimensional space. Here's the result of their work: (http://www.aes.org/aeshc/docs/bell.l...erspective.pdf). It's fascinating reading, and something everyone interested in audio reproduction should be familiar with.

Coulda Shoulda Woulda

As a friend of his caregiver I had the opportunity to visit with James Bongiorno.

I wasn't worthy. Not much to say to such an icon. We do miss him.

-D_E-
    "Why don't you Mine your own Bismuth, so you won't be mining mine?"

not a person, but

a place.

Xerox PARC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PARC_(company)

PARC (Palo Alto Research Center Incorporated), formerly Xerox PARC, is a research and development company in Palo Alto, California,[1][2][3] with a distinguished reputation for its contributions to information technology and hardware systems.[citation needed]

Founded in 1970 as a division of Xerox Corporation, PARC has been in large part responsible for such developments as laser printing, Ethernet, the modern personal computer, graphical user interface (GUI) and desktop paradigm, object-oriented programming, ubiquitous computing, amorphous silicon (a-Si) applications, and advancing very-large-scale integration (VLSI) for semiconductors.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Alan Parsons
    Les Paul
    Captain Crossover (an old coworker who was a demon at designing speaker systems).
    David Gilmore
    Nikolai Tesla

Speaking about people we actually did hang with, back in 1979 I was extremely fortunate to have a private lunch with Paul W. Klipsch when he was in L.A. to accept his AES Silver Medal. (It was arranged by the So. Cal. Klipsch rep, who was a good friend of mine.)

Of course I peppered him with questions and he answered every one of them. (I remember asking him how large the Klipschorn woofer horn would be if it was free-standing and not folded, and he took out his notebook and drew the horn by building the exponential horn expansion sections from memory. BTW, the mouth would be about 6' by 6.5' and the horn length would be about 7'). At that time Klipsch had just introduced the original 3-way 3-piece version of the MCM professional speaker system (which featured a large W-bin woofer, a large straight exponential midrange horn and an array of Motorola piezos as well as an optional passive crossover), and Paul told me that with the passive crossover the speaker system measured flatter than any other speaker the company had made up to that time. He also regaled me with stories about his adventures countering all the audio "Bullshit" that prevailed in the 60s and 70s (and gave me a yellow "Bullshit" button). I also asked him which of his achievements he was most proud of and he said it was the work he did measuring intermodulation distortion in speakers and correlating that with perceived sound quality.

I will never forget how gracious he was in putting up with my being such a fan-boy. It was a day I'll always remember with much fondness and appreciation.

Thread Information