Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Active crossover digital or analog

Is it even possible to give it enough gain when it's used in home audio environment? Even with my KSA50mk2 poweramp + KRC-HR preamp I couldn't get pass the 2nd level LED on the PA2.

Quote Originally Posted by martin2395 View Post
    Is it even possible to give it enough gain when it's used in home audio environment? Even with my KSA50mk2 poweramp + KRC-HR preamp I couldn't get pass the 2nd level LED on the PA2.
    Yes, I use a Benchmark dac2 into an XTA 224 LMS/DSP driving BBC QUAD 520f amps without any gain issues.

Mctwins
    Quote Originally Posted by martin2395 View Post
    Hallo!

If you only have 2nd level on LED bar, I asume you mean input, then you haven't done a proper Gain structure. If you don't understand this then you schoulden't complain about dbx Driverack having a dull sound.

Driverack isin't a plug and play device.

Before complaining, you have to provide how your set-up and connection is done. I belive you have done it all wrong and gave you that dull sound.

Your preamp KRC-HR has 14V (RMS) or 25 dBu, what's the fuzz about your 2nd level LEDon the PA2??

On the PA2 you have a button on the back where you can have either +4dBu or -10dBV.

Look and learn....

I don't have to learn about it anymore because I returned it already.
    They assured me it was plug, simple config and play.

And again - I know what and how I configured it and the xover settings were 100% correct.
    Havent touched any extra gain settings: http://nl.tinypic.com/r/167uqew/8

Even with my KRCHR switched to high gain and the driverack set on lower gain settings I couldn't go past the 2nd input led before ear deafening levels would occur. Of course I could lower the gain through the software but I didn't.

I use a 2123 with the 2420/2344 combination in a fuly active setup.

As an active crossover I have modified a JBL M553 to get rid of allmost all coupling capacitors inside. Only the input and output caps remain whereas the rest is now hard wired. I have run this configuration for about 2 years now I think and have not run into a problem, whereas the sound is much better than with the caps. Using a digital crossover is a no-go for me as I use a high end NOS dac and built in dacs of digital crossovers cannot give me the quality I want. In modified form the M553 has a respectable enough sound, and built in CD compensation.

But you have to study the 4430 passive crossover when you want to bi-amp with an active crossover because as far as I remember not all passive components are bypassed in active mode. I run my system fully active, apart from speaker wire there are no passive components between the amp outputs and the drivers. This can be done if the DC offset of the amps is low enough.

Thread Information