Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Check this out! original everest and K2 cabinets from the factory in denmark!

Let's see now, what to put in them?
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Fjonkalicious
    I have been drooling over these cabinets for days. Wasn´t that far away, live in south of Sweden. But for me it got to expensive, not that it wasn´t worth it but I have too many projects, to small apartment and if I would spend that cash I would have to live on rice for the next couple of months. Too bad, hope that people can make something good out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    Harman REALLY messed up by letting these cabinets get out on the free market like this. They should have bought and destroyed/recycled them if they had no use for them. This can't be good for the value of current Everest inventory. I find the whole thing a little sad.
    I find it very sad for the company and workers who were building these beautiful cabinets for Harman and others.

Regarding JBL value? Get real. These are empty boxes, albeit cool looking boxes, but certainly not JBLs. Without the horns and drivers, these are simply cool looking boxes.

Widget

Horns for s9900

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Sad to hear of another business disappearing.

If any of you do pick up Everest cabs, I can help you with the horns.

Widget
    HI mr. widget

I just bought a S9900 cabinet

Could you also help with horns for the S9900?

Søren K

Quote Originally Posted by Søren K View Post
    HI mr. widget

I just bought a S9900 cabinet

Could you also help with horns for the S9900?

Søren K
    Sorry... I don't have any data on those horns.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    Harman REALLY messed up by letting these cabinets get out on the free market like this. They should have bought and destroyed/recycled them if they had no use for them. This can't be good for the value of current Everest inventory. I find the whole thing a little sad.
    Interestingly, I had the same thoughts the other day. My thinking is that it will devaluate the price of original JBL speakers. Especially that I am sure that the manufacturer also had a contract with JBL not to sell any cabinet directly to the public. The manufacturer may own the wood, but JBL still owns the design and patent on the cabinets. I wonder where all this can go, legally speaking if JBL interjected to the private sale of its design and patent.

I don't think this will have any impact on value of original Everst or K2. Most cabinets seems to have been sold to private homes in either Denmark og Norway and not for further sale as "Everst clones". And I don't think there will many "real clones" as few have the necessary componets, and even so... they will only be a clone

Obsolete
    Harman made efforts to buy/bail out the Danish business but it ended up not make sense for the involved parties.

Harman doesn't care if people buy the auctioned enclosures.

Harman is currently subjecting very nice looking K2-S9900 and Everest II enclosure samples from a new supplier to environmental testing.

The plan is to continue the models, perhaps dropping a finish or two, but adding in black and white high gloss.

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    I don't think this will have any impact on value of original Everst or K2. Most cabinets seems to have been sold to private homes in either Denmark og Norway and not for further sale as "Everst clones". And I don't think there will many "real clones" as few have the necessary componets, and even so... they will only be a clone
    I am sorry, but to me there is only one original Everest and that is DD55000. Nothing will ever have an impact on their value. My opinion, and I have owned a pair.

Just for the fun of it, but I am thinking about using these cabinets upside down, making baffle/box on the bottom to contain a JBL SE408s in each speaker.
    Unfortunately the cutouts for the woofers are too small for vintage JBL woofers. I will have to enlarge them for my four JBL D140R drivers
    Name:  IMAG0096.jpg
Views: 1753
Size:  169.0 KB

Turning them upside down actually appear to be a very good idea if you cannot (or do no want to) replicate the original horn!
    This will rise the woofers a bit off the floor and probably clean the low mid, and you will be able to insert a H9800 on another "small" rectangular horn where the ports are.
    What horns are you planning on using?

Quote Originally Posted by vernb View Post
    Unfortunately the cutouts for the woofers are too small for vintage JBL woofers. I will have to enlarge them for my four JBL D140R drivers
    Don't know if the cutout is different for the newer woofers but you do know you are missing the MDF frontbaffle? This might be an explanation for the cutout? Hopefully I will receive my pair tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    Don't know if the cutout is different for the newer woofers but you do know you are missing the MDF frontbaffle? This might be an explanation for the cutout? Hopefully I will receive my pair tomorrow
    I do have the MDF front baffle, but is the same cutout

Regards
    Vernb

I checked the specs and seems like many of the older 15s have a cutout of 14" while the newer have 13,75", this explains your "problem"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Guido, are you buying them up to produce your own version with Radians and ????
    Widget
    Hi Widget!

No, sure not...

There is only one next project: TAD Ref 1

But you know the problem

Thread Information