Thread: Jbl 567x setups

Jbl 567x setups

Fond this article...

Few have 567x systems at home, even fewer have two

http://www.lydogbilde.no/nyheter/pro...i-hjemmestudio

Pacific Northwest, but North-er and West-er
    I'm trying to build something kind of like that. It's more of a 10 year plan that involves my wife slowly becoming numb to the excess speaker purchasing I've been doing this last year or so.
    I control the treble.
    I control the bass.

It's pretty cool

Also a Nice stack of Crown Studio Ref:

Attached Images Attached Images  

Apologies for the spiderwebs!

The rather wacko enthusiast above owns 2 additional pairs of JBL 5674s and has serious difficulties placing them. One might with some justice argue, that the pair in the picture is not strictly cinema textbook installation but hearing is believing as the visitor from the Danish magazine remarked. AND the owner of all the spiderweb-covered speakers here is happily married, would you guys believe?
    I know, because I happen to be the odd and slightly wacko elderly man i shorts.
    One piece of advice: If anybody in the US should encounter the JBL 567X-series somewhere, go grab them immidiately! They do weird and wonderful things even the mighty JBL M2 does not even approach..
    And make sure you guys got at least 114 inches ceiling height.
    We did not..
    Poul M

Great! Another extra large format JBL guy!

If it hasn't already been done allow me to welcome you to Lansing Heritage!

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

2490H 3 inch driver is God! Go get them while it is still there.

Thanks, Barry, and thanks as well to all you guys running an contributing to this invaluable treasure chest of competent and not least friendly info. I have been running big speakers for over 40 years including S8Rs, JBL 4675 Tannoy Westminster horns etc. etc. but the 3 inch 2490 midrange in the 5674 is something everybody should give a try. Just sad it never caught on as the horns for this driver even in big cinemas are hardly manageable let alone in sound mixing suites. Oh yes, the 5671 was meant for that, those were different days... And way to expensive the big systems were too in Dolby Atmos theatres requiring a fantasillion speakers sad really. Way of the world..
    We have active ATC SCM300 actives as well in our music room a terrific speaker, but nothing I have heard (and that includes the M2) projects the music with the sheer scale that the 5674 does. The M2 does not even come anywhere close

Just a pity, that their creator John Eargle heard them only with DSP processing from the rather ill-fated and pretty disasterous DSC 260. He deserved to have known what a piece of acoustic art he had created.
    And a particularly big and ugly one as well, but he probably knew that..
    You guys in the US have a pair of 5674s on ebay as I write, I hope some of you guys get them. Most big horns in the world now are just "bling" and meant to bring status and show off conspicuous wealth , these are very much the other way round.
    Poul M.

Nice shorts.... oh and by the way did you notice those large speakers?

If you don't mind going into more detail, I'd love to know more about the front end of your system. How you've calibrated it etc...

Oh yeah, and what Barry said. Welcome to the LH Forum!

Widget

System and calibration

Thanks, Mr. Widget, certainly makes me feel very welcome!
    Sources are SME 30/2 record player and McIntosh MCD1000 transport into a Lynx Hilo DA-converter and ATC SCA2 preamp. The little stack with the 4 fifteens (5674 LF) and the 5671 top is powered by 4 McIntosh MC2600s (the fourth is running a 2405 not evident in the picture but vital to supplement the 2450SL treble driver I think. The big stack is powered by the 5 Crown Studio Reference Is and there in a 2405 there as well well hidden.

Speaker management and processing as on the pics are performed by a BSS 366T for either stack. Tunings are simply for starters copied from the recommended JBL Tunings site for these specific speakers, so not much pioneering work here, pure copycat . The 4645s in the pictures fitted with 2442 drivers are not usually running, as the resulting bass can be absolutely overpowering. Not as overwhelming as another original pair of 4645s we got eith 2245s, but still extremely bass heavy in the room. The room is heavily damped but damping goes only that far..

Since the Norwegian magazine visited us (without much warning as the spiderwebs testify), the BSS 366s have been replaced with Lake LM 26 speaker management systems, an absolutely marvelleous sounding processor, which runs in circles around the recently discontinued BSS sound quality wise. And again the JBL recommended tuning were just copied into the Lake but what a difference! The BSS 366T is nice, the Lake is just infinitely better and before final purchase even passed the "wife can hear a clear and positive improvement"-test
    The BSS-processors are now relegated to a role of processing some of our new projects with the 4892/4893 and 4894 array systems. High end hifi at its best performed by high end PA systems, the aim is to create the "super DMS1", that never was. Not until now.
    Oh yes, and there is also a stack of Furman P2300s balanced powers and a couple og Furman P6900 regulators.

Thread resurrection...

There's a set of 3 used JBL 5674 theatre systems for sale in Germany. If I'm reading that price correctly it seems cheap...

Translated Page

Images saved for posterity

Name:  20160624_164055.jpg
Views: 2008
Size:  69.9 KB

Name:  20160624_164101.jpg
Views: 1646
Size:  63.9 KB

Name:  20160624_164136.jpg
Views: 1500
Size:  65.2 KB

Name:  20160624_164207.jpg