Thread: JBL 044Ti with dimpled tweeter dome - can it be replaced with 035Ti's dome?

JBL 044Ti with dimpled tweeter dome - can it be replaced with 035Ti's dome?

So I bought a pair of JBL 044Tis on ebay. The description says "excellent working condition", and the seller has 100% positive feedback out of 1826 transactions, and he seems to specialize in audio gears. They don't have mesh grill anymore, but the photos indeed show that they're in cosmetically mint condition, so I instantly bought them.

After I finished buying and paying for the item, then I suddenly noticed a line in the item's description that says "one of the tweeters domes is dimpled". And yes, there is a dimple on one of the tweeters.

The dimpled tweeter.

The non-dimpled tweeter for comparison.

The questions are;

(1) would such dimple affect the sound? And if it does, how bad does it affect the sound?

(2) can I replace the dome with that of 035Ti? Or even 052Ti? 035Tis are quite plentiful on ebay, and some of them are sold as "for parts or repair", so I could buy a 035Ti and cannibalize its tweeter dome to replace this one. Aren't 035Ti tweeter dome and 044Ti tweeter dome the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Kreshna View Post

The questions are;

(1) would such dimple affect the sound? And if it does, how bad does it affect the sound?

(2) can I replace the dome with that of 035Ti? Or even 052Ti? 035Tis are quite plentiful on ebay, and some of them are sold as "for parts or repair", so I could buy a 035Ti and cannibalize its tweeter dome to replace this one. Aren't 035Ti tweeter dome and 044Ti tweeter dome the same?
    1 no
    2 no

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ns-Help-needed
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Thank you!

Anyway, the ring-shaped adhesive needed to re-assemble the 044Ti after replacing the foam; where did you buy it and what size? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreshna View Post
    Thank you!

Anyway, the ring-shaped adhesive needed to re-assemble the 044Ti after replacing the foam; where did you buy it and what size? Thanks again.
    It will re-stick on it's own .it's very persistent .. anyway it's the bolts that really hold it down , the sticky tape isn't actually needed.

as long as the driver is open, plan on replacing the foam under the dome too.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post364321
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    It will re-stick on it's own .it's very persistent .. anyway it's the bolts that really hold it down , the sticky tape isn't actually needed.

as long as the driver is open, plan on replacing the foam under the dome too.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post364321
    I see, thanks again. Will replace the foam. In fact, it's what I've planned all along, but I don't dare doing it until I have a spare pair. But now I have it, then I'm definitely going to do it.

Anyway, why are 044Ti's dome and 035Ti's dome not interchangeable? Do they have much different size or form factor compared to each other?

Thread Information