Thread: 7.1 surround system

7.1 surround system

hello, would like suggestions for building a 7.1 surround. currently i am using 4350,s for just 2 channel. i have in storage 1 pair 4343's, and 4 pair l-100's. any suggestions on av receivers, separate amps and preamps? no bluray player or wide screen yet. is all this just overkill and big waste of time and money?, have a few thousand to spend. 2 channel listening about 50% of the time. would like to keep the current biamping for the 4350,s thanks for suggestions. listening room about 18 x 29 ft.

Quote Originally Posted by KTG View Post
    currently i am using 4350,s for just 2 channel.
    i have in storage 1 pair 4343's,

is all this just overkill and big waste of time and money?

Yes, IMHO.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

If you're in to multichannel music, ala SACD, DVD-A and BD, its not a waste of time. But it IS opening a large can of worms. For movies with a big screen, obviously worth it. Processor/preamp, amps, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    For movies with a big screen, obviously worth it.
    Originally Posted by KTG
    no bluray player or wide screen yet.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I admit I am prejudiced. I have never liked surround and keep going back to two channel. Given that, you might try an inexpensive experiment. Buy a Sony Blu-ray player, one with coax out but skip the 3-D. Wifi capability is fine. Best Buy on sale is your friend here. Ninety dollars or less for a good one when I last checked.

Now that you have a good player (Blu-ray is a Sony development and these tend to be reliable as well), which is very competent at mixing down to two channel as well as enhancing DVD playback imaging, give two channel playback a try. 4350s might be the absolute best speaker for such a setup. They can be driven to insane, ear damaging volumes without distorting and, being very efficient, do not need huge amplification.

Trying this should leave quite an impression on any human who can hear; no need to be a Golden Ear, if such people even exist. Without getting into even multi channel output, never mind processing and amping, you can find out if such a setup impresses you sufficiently to sit back, enjoy the show and not worry about what all the salesmen, magazines and websites are saying you need to have a good time watching a movie. Just a suggestion.

So why get a player with coax out? Firstly, they are geting scarce. HDMI is the current standard and is very limiting for downstream equipment choice. Secondly, whatever digital upgrades you might later want - separate DAC, digital processing, you name it - you will be all ready without buying expensive audiophile BS to get the signal to your system. High end gear for listening to movies is an oxymoron, but that won't stop people from trying to sell it to you.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

I would suggest you've got a great start on a 7.1 System.

I would set the system up so that it will allow you to do a 2 channel bypass for your 4350s. (Bypassing the surround DSP action) I would use one 4343 as a center and use the best 4 of your L 100s.

You can pick up a very fine Prepro from Anthem, Krell, or ??? that predates HDMI and use a DVDO Quick6 to strip out the audio and switch between video sources. The reason for going this route is that an Uber high end Prepro without HDMI will sell for hundreds not thousands and will sound vastly better than a Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, etc. AVR or Prepro.

Then pick up a pile of amps and a couple of big ass subs and you'll have a stunning HT audio system.

For video I'd go with a higher end 720p DLP projector or TOTL 720p DILA projector since no one wants 720p, you can pick one up that originally cost $15-20k for a grand or less...

Widget

Thread Information